Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Dec 27, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #241 of 1,697
Thanks for the reply, im not worried about spdif anyways as like you i plan to use I2S Only.
I actually ordered 2 Primecables Mamba (0.5m and 1.0m) to try also (surprised they were so cheap), this will be my first entry into I2S and I want to make sure I have several HDMI options on hand.
I am excited to try something different with my R2R 7!
Actually, I still have to stop being lazy and flash V3 firmware to my R2R7, running V2S currently but it sounds sooo good already! cant imagine it getting better but I know it can and will with V3 firmware and U16
The u16 is quite remarkable, there is such ease in the top end, and a rich medium. At first, it will be too soft, be advised. Things will get better within the first 24 hours. It pairs really well with v3a imo.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #242 of 1,697
Try the U16 with the R2R 7 firmware you are familiar with first. That way you will know what is happening with the sound. And actually V2S OS = V3S OS (no changes) as only NOS mode changes for V3S. However for V3A OS and NOS both change so give this one a try when comfortable.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. I will try try the U16 with V2S firmware first as I am using OS anyways.

The u16 is quite remarkable, there is such ease in the top end, and a rich medium. At first, it will be too soft, be advised. Things will get better within the first 24 hours. It pairs really well with v3a imo.

Great to hear, my speakers have a very accurate ribbon tweeter (Monitor Audio GX300) so the smooth top end of the U16 should compliment them perfectly. just have to decide whether to use smooth or accurate firmware once the U16 is broken in.

I did expect plenty of break-in will be required for optimal performance. I plan to leave it on 24/7 with my R2R7 and SMS-200

Thanks for the advice all!

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #243 of 1,697
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #244 of 1,697
20181229_095533.jpg Hi,
i have made my own adapter to bypas the power of the USB completely.
Once i have synced to my DDC i simply get off the switch.
regrds
Jürgen

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #245 of 1,697
How do you do that?

Anyone opened their U16 & see if the the generic Kitsune DC kit would plug in to bypass the power supply?

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/
It is not generic PSU. Its for SU-1 with 2pin plug.
Gustard use 4 pin. Exactly the same as in Gustard DAC's.

SU-1 has separate PSU and socket on main pcb is DC. U16 has whole power supply on one pcb so the input is AC. Changing power source require some modifications.

How I cut the USB power? SOtM USB card has a switch on the back bracket.
11113sotm3.jpg

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #246 of 1,697
Hi guys.

I am at 180 hours with the u16. Except for a brief episode of harshness at around 140 hours, the break-in went smoothly. The soundstage and bass response gradually improved to equal the f-1’s.

The bass now extends down low. And the sounstage has the proper width and depth.

The signature is quite similar to that of the singxer f-1 now. The differences with the f-1 are:

1. Better overall clarity and definition
2. Better smoothness
3. Richer mid range
4. Blacker background

I would say it is significant, but not a night and day difference. But it is very much appreciated. It’s a better version of the same thing, to sum it up, except for the richer mid range. Keep in mind i used the i2s out of the f-1, which maximizes its performance IMO.

One note, using my he-560, i now can detect a lot more recording defects, these have become so clear i can really understand the exact nature of them. So i found out for instance that Woman Child (Cecile Salvant McLorin), was full of them. I thought this album was a top notch recording!

Worth the investment? Yes! At this price point, the Gustard is highly recommended. Fed with a clean usb signal, it will make your r-7 sing. It sounds high-end really. The build quality is excellent and using the i2s out combined to the psa fw, i have no stability issue.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #247 of 1,697
Hi guys.

I am at 180 hours with the u16. Except for a brief episode of harshness at around 140 hours, the break-in went smoothly. The soundstage and bass response gradually improved to equal the f-1’s.

The bass now extends down low. And the sounstage has the proper width and depth.

The signature is quite similar to that of the singxer f-1 now. The differences with the f-1 are:

2. Better smoothness
3. Richer mid range
4. Blacker background

I would say it is significant, but not a night and day difference. But it is very much appreciated. It’s a better version of the same thing, to sum it up, except for the richer mid range. Keep in mind i used the i2s out of the f-1, which maximizes its performance IMO.

One note, using my he-560, i now can detect a lot more recording defects, these have become so clear i can really understand the exact nature of them. So i found out for instance that Woman Child (Cecile Salvant McLorin), was full of them. I thought this album was a top notch recording!

Worth the investment? Yes! At this price point, the Gustard is highly recommended. Fed with a clean usb signal, it will make your r-7 sing. It sounds high-end really. The build quality is excellent and using the i2s out combined to the psa fw, i have no stability issue.

Nice review!
I had the Singxer F-1 but replaced with Schiit Eitr.
Do you have any experience with Schiit Eitr, if so how it compared with Gustard U16?
Have you tried Spdif of Gutard U16, I need to know this as my DAC has no option for HDMI.
TIA

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #248 of 1,697
Nice review!
I had the Singxer F-1 but replaced with Schiit Eitr.
Do you have any experience with Schiit Eitr, if so how it compared with Gustard U16?
Have you tried Spdif of Gutard U16, I need to know this as my DAC has no option for HDMI.
TIA
No experience with the eitr. I had a Breeze u8 upgraded with Crystek oscillators, and a di2014 before the u8. I haven’t tried the spdif out of the u16 either. I can easily recommend the u16 for someone with an audio-gd dac wanting to use hdmi i2s, that’s all for now.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #252 of 1,697
Hi guys.

2. Better smoothness
3. Richer mid range
4. Blacker background

Thanks..
Are you using any type of mains power conditioning into the U16 ?

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #253 of 1,697
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #254 of 1,697
Thanks..
Are you using any type of mains power conditioning into the U16 ?
i have a balanced isolation transfo, shared with the r-7, master-1, and nfb-1amp, not sure how much it helps..
[edit]
Also, the balanced transfo is connected to a qlshifi f-1000 that use some sort of voodoo to clean-up the mains. This power distributor has a positive effect, i know for sure, without restraining current, which is very important as my power amps are plugged to it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #255 of 1,697
great question, to add to that, have power cables made a difference with the U16 at all @FredA?

I am planning on feeding my Gustard U16 with my Audio-GD HE-350 regenerator, but am debating if I should buy an Audio Sensibility Testament (OCC Copper) Power cable to feed it. (I already have a Audio Sensibility Impact SE Power Cable (HPOFC Copper) for burn in and testing.)
i don’t think it’s worth investing a ton of money for a 300$ digital device. I have an ebay furutech imitation right now on mine, great looking cable nonetheless, i paid 120$ for. Frankly, besides with the master-1 pre and r-7, and don’t do much cable matching. The cheaper equipment end up using the cables i found too bright for either the pre or dac. I use the cable with greater awg on the power distributors and power amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back