Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Dec 22, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,092 of 3,700
So I just did a few mods to my U12 recently. Now the a/c transformer is removed. I believe it was a talema or something like it anyhow. Now it's directly powered by a Teradak DC30W dialed in at 7v. Also just finished installing a dexa newclassd 5v regulator too! I was pleasantly surprised with a nice bump in sq!  It's significantly better sounding than stock with a pretty nice build now!

Gustard U12 stock unit (170usd)
Crystek 957 clocks (65usd) DACladder installed these, ic chip and caps.
Dip12 sockets for crystals (20usd)
Panasonic 25v 3300uF low esr caps (4dollars)
Dexa NewClassD 5v regulator (10times quieter, 100times better ripple rejection, high bandwidth, ultra low noise) (60usd)
IC swap for Audio-GD HDMI i2s pinout (10usd)
Pure DC Linear power from Teradak DC30W 7v (170usd)

total of appox 500usd... nutz... i know.

powered by Paul Hynes SR3 from usb line (quietest power possible)

so this U12 is totally ideal and sounds quite a bit better than most DDC's out there. But the build cost is a bit high :wink:

but if the DIU8 sounds better, i'm selling this setup above for about half what I have into it. So it can help fund the cost.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #3,093 of 3,700
Dec 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #3,094 of 3,700
  Found them - nothing exceptional - std Chinese OEM TXCO clocks.  Elcheapo clock for USB.

I guess the only thing unqie is that Savitech:

I'm not sure that is the same...could be...but thats another model. it's their analog to digital. notice the two 3.5mm on one side. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #3,096 of 3,700
Audio gd do not believe in clocks. Looks like TCXO to me.

Power supply is shunt regulator transistor based without the usual ULN.

It has been been my contention. Discrete vs ULN reg. Which sounds better.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,097 of 3,700
  So I just did a few mods to my U12 recently. Now the a/c transformer is removed. I believe it was a talema or something like it anyhow. Now it's directly powered by a Teradak DC30W dialed in at 7v. Also just finished installing a dexa newclassd 5v regulator too! I was pleasantly surprised with a nice bump in sq!  It's significantly better sounding than stock with a pretty nice build now!

Gustard U12 stock unit (170usd)
Crystek 957 clocks (65usd)
Dip12 sockets for crystals (20usd)
Panasonic 25v 3300uF low esr caps (4dollars)
Dexa NewClassD 5v regulator (10times quieter, 100times better ripple rejection, high bandwidth, ultra low noise) (60usd)
IC swap for Audio-GD HDMI i2s pinout (10usd)
Pure DC Linear power from Teradak DC30W 7v (170usd)

total of appox 500usd... nutz... i know.

powered by Paul Hynes SR3 from usb line (quietest power possible)

so this U12 is totally ideal and sounds quite a bit better than most DDC's out there. But the build cost is a bit high :wink:

but if the DIU8 sounds better, i'm selling this setup above for about half what I have into it. So it can help fund the cost.

It's ALIVE!... (from Frankstein)

Nice  - the stock transformer although blue is not a Talema but a generic OEM chinese version - so good riddance.

I should note on my ranking that the Empirical Off Ramp 5 With the Dynamo Power upgrade would rank somewhere around 102-104.  But it's $2000.  I did not own the OR5 but did a pretty exhustive listening comparison with the Breeze on a friend's very high system.  Of course that was before the Cerious Graphene power cable arrived.  I would bet that the Breeze with the Cerious would be a very tough call.  And the comparison I made was with Breeze running SPDIF coax out and a low end Blue jeans cable vs the OR5 using an Empirical i2s cable running i2s into the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC. So we were able to do on the fly comparisons.  If I get a chance to repeat that duel -  I would bring my AS Statement silver digital RCA cable and the Cerious.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #3,098 of 3,700
Audio gd do not believe in clocks. Looks like TCXO to me.

Power supply is shunt regulator transistor based without the usual ULN.

It has been been my contention. Discrete vs ULN reg. Which sounds better.

I see - their previous version used the generic OEM JYEC TXCO type clocks with a AudioGd cover print.  These look a little different - but they could just be a different OEM order.  A close-up photo would be nice.

It looks like a lot of effort on the power filtering and regulation front.  R-Core transformer as std now (was an upgrade option before).  I agree about discrete shunt regulation vs Ic based ULN LDOs.  Just ask John Tucker about that over at Exemplar Audio.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,099 of 3,700

Nice  - the stock transformer although blue is not a Talema but a generic OEM chinese version - so good riddance.

I should note on my ranking that the Empirical Off Ramp 5 With the Dynamo Power upgrade would rank somewhere around 102-104.  But it's $2000.  I did not own the OR5 but did a pretty exhustive listening comparison with the Breeze on a friend's very high system.  Of course that was before the Cerious Graphene power cable arrived.  I would bet that the Breeze with the Cerious would be a very tough call.  And the comparison I made was with Breeze running SPDIF coax out and a low end Blue jeans cable vs the OR5 using an Empirical i2s cable running i2s into the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC. So we were able to do on the fly comparisons.  If I get a chance to repeat that duel -  I would bring my AS Statement silver digital RCA cable and the Cerious.

I ordered the DIU8 this morning with a AS statement silver digital RCA cable with BNC adapter and cable cooked. Found a nice coupon code for it :D

I'm only using that to hook up my external bookshelf speakers (vanatoo transparent ones) from the DIU8. Nice having extra outputs! 

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #3,100 of 3,700

I have the Empirical Audio and the I2s is truly outstanding.  Mine has the Hynes regulator, but just the wall wart PSU.  I was less impressed by the BNC output into my Master 7, but it wasn't tricked out like the I2s one.  I've had the parts for DACLadder's HDMI mod on the Gustard for a few months, but haven't got around to it yet.  As I prefer the Master 7's BNC input, I might just do the mod to the Gustard and see if it is "good enough" for my limited 192 stuff and get rid of the Off-Ramp.  As usual, thank you for your efforts in finding, testing and modding all these devices.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,101 of 3,700
Just got my U12 recently, I've been using it with coaxial output.  Man, this thing lowered my noise floor so much.  That alone makes it worth the investment. Some of the higher frequencies sound a bit less distorted although that might be placebo, but I'm glad I purchased the U12.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,102 of 3,700
  I'm not sure that is the same...could be...but thats another model. it's their analog to digital. notice the two 3.5mm on one side. 

Oh - if you find under the hood photos please post.  Likely they are using the same parts as in the DAC for USB bridging.

I have the Empirical Audio and the I2s is truly outstanding.  Mine has the Hynes regulator, but just the wall wart PSU.  I was less impressed by the BNC output into my Master 7, but it wasn't tricked out like the I2s one.  I've had the parts for DACLadder's HDMI mod on the Gustard for a few months, but haven't got around to it yet.  As I prefer the Master 7's BNC input, I might just do the mod to the Gustard and see if it is "good enough" for my limited 192 stuff and get rid of the Off-Ramp.  As usual, thank you for your efforts in finding, testing and modding all these devices.

Thanks for the kudos - that OR5 i2s is really superb.  I think those Hynes regulators surely would improve things.  Do have a photo of the board - I am curious as to which clocks and caps Empirical uses.  I guess yours does not have the 'Turbo clock' upgrade.  Hard to find board photos on line.

Just got my U12 recently, I've been using it with coaxial output.  Man, this thing lowered my noise floor so much.  That alone makes it worth the investment. Some of the higher frequencies sound a bit less distorted although that might be placebo, but I'm glad I purchased the U12.

The U12 is a great sounding unit - and only when compared to some of these other outstanding DDCs does the veiled nature become apparent. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,103 of 3,700

I see - their previous version used the generic OEM JYEC TXCO type clocks with a AudioGd cover print.  These look a little different - but they could just be a different OEM order.  A close-up photo would be nice.

It looks like a lot of effort on the power filtering and regulation front.  R-Core transformer as std now (was an upgrade option before).  I agree about discrete shunt regulation vs Ic based ULN LDOs.  Just ask John Tucker about that over at Exemplar Audio.

I wonder what had John Tucker commented on the discreet vs ULN LDO ?

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,104 of 3,700

I wonder what had John Tucker commented on the discreet vs ULN LDO ?

When John did a major modding job on my Denon 3190 and 5910 he explained to me the advantages of multi-stage choke power regulation.  He added over 5 choke regulators to those units - the sound was fantastic.  Something about non-saturation or overload.

When I did my Lite DAC60 mod project I knew I had to add choke filtering to the power supply.  Went with a 10 Henry Hammond - made quite a difference.  Wish I had room for more - but with all the large upgraded caps ran out.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,105 of 3,700
john swenson do recommend the use of ULN LDO for low power application below 350mA, especially on digital circuits. for preamp and analog output, I guess that ULN will have to stay away.

I have been following this principle, i.e. using ULN for digital circuits. the discreet shunt reg (using the 2SCxxxx ) is having good noise numbers at higher power. only problem is that some of the china made discreet reg is not performing to my expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back