Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #451 of 3,700
Hi all,

Has somebody compared the U12 with the DI-2014 yet? I'm VERY curious which one is the better one,,,,,

Planning on buying an M7 or NFB-7, both with i2S (HDMI version), any pros or/and cons icw U12 / DI-2014?

Regards,
Alex Bartels 

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #452 of 3,700
  just got the x12 to partner the u12, think they go together well, connected via i2s, very live sound with plenty of insight, looking forward to it improving after burn in. tried the onboard usb and sounded a bit thin, guess because it's new, but it's also limited in output formats with only i2s giving dsd 128, surprised at how good the bass is straight out of the box.

Congrats! Would be interesting with a more in-depth comparison when you got the time 
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #453 of 3,700
  Hi all,

Has somebody compared the U12 with the DI-2014 yet? I'm VERY curious which one is the better one,,,,,

Planning on buying an M7 or NFB-7, both with i2S (HDMI version), any pros or/and cons icw U12 / DI-2014?

Regards,
Alex Bartels 

I will compare the two when my DAC arrives.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #454 of 3,700
Used the regular XMOS v2.23 driver with Win 8.1 - had zero issues.  Love the sound of it after several months of use.  Blows the Yulong U18 I was using out of the water (at least to my ears) and eliminated my driver issues.  The yulong would often lock up and require me to reconnect it over and over to get the device to work.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #455 of 3,700
  I will compare the two when my DAC arrives.

Okay, i'm very curious! You connect it to M7 and Gungnir, or just gungnir? You sold your NFB-7 (M7 also?), NFB-7 not the real deal?

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #456 of 3,700
  Used the regular XMOS v2.23 driver with Win 8.1 - had zero issues.  Love the sound of it after several months of use.  Blows the Yulong U18 I was using out of the water (at least to my ears) and eliminated my driver issues.  The yulong would often lock up and require me to reconnect it over and over to get the device to work.

Yulong U18 uses the Tenor chip, which is not as good as Xmos or CM6631A in my oppinion. Glad the U18 sounds better :)

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #457 of 3,700
  Okay, i'm very curious! You connect it to M7 and Gungnir, or just gungnir? You sold your NFB-7 (M7 also?), NFB-7 not the real deal?

I sold my NFB-7 recently, so I will test with the Gungnir when it arrives. It was really good, but too analytic for me. The details were awesome though, best I've heard! But Gungnir should be more musical, I'll see and try to compare a bit by memory. Never owned the M7, but with the OR5 it is pretty darn awesome, or so I heard. 
So it will be VIA vs CM vs XMOS implementation 
biggrin.gif

Yulong U18 uses the Tenor chip, which is not as good as Xmos or CM6631A in my oppinion. Glad the U18 sounds better :)

I still bet it is more stable than the VIA one... 
biggrin.gif
 The NFB-7 had no problems at all though, solid product.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #458 of 3,700

I sold my NFB-7 recently, so I will test with the Gungnir when it arrives. It was really good, but too analytic for me. The details were awesome though, best I've heard! But Gungnir should be more musical, I'll see and try to compare a bit by memory. Never owned the M7, but with the OR5 it is pretty darn awesome, or so I heard. 
So it will be VIA vs CM vs XMOS implementation 
biggrin.gif

I still bet it is more stable than the VIA one... 
biggrin.gif
 The NFB-7 had no problems at all though, solid product.

I'm using a cheap CM6631A based converter UAU06A , use it on battery power, must say it performs outstanding on Server 2012R2.
Had some issues installing it but finally found a good driver for it and works like a charm :)
Just use SPDIF-Coax for the moment, but will test I2S later when i have dac with I2S connection.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #459 of 3,700
The display of my month old u12 turned defective today. It does not display the numbers correctly anymore. I tried restarting it a couple of times to no avail. Sound is still great though, so purely a cosmetic problem. I have send the ebay seller a message explaining the problem. Did anybody else have this problem and if so, what solution did the seller offer? 

I would add pictures but I don't think I have enough posts yet.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #460 of 3,700
  The display of my month old u12 turned defective today. It does not display the numbers correctly anymore. I tried restarting it a couple of times to no avail. Sound is still great though, so purely a cosmetic problem. I have send the ebay seller a message explaining the problem. Did anybody else have this problem and if so, what solution did the seller offer? 

I would add pictures but I don't think I have enough posts yet.

Often this problem comes from a loose connect to the display. You might take a look and see if that connection is solidly in place. Of course, if it soldered to the pcb then there is not much you can do.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #463 of 3,700
Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926 Its beta build. Сan be found everywhere, use google. Chodi your driver for gustard works fine there.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522100   for x64
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522101   for x86

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #464 of 3,700
  Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926 Its beta build. Сan be found everywhere, use google. Chodi your driver for gustard works fine there.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522100   for x64
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522101   for x86

Great to hear that the driver works. I wonder how the compatibility will be with existing software? I still remember the pain of the transition to Windows 7. I  think I will wait for the released version and hopefully they will issue an update so you can just install it over Windows 7 and keep all your programs. That may be asking too much but I hate the thought of re-installing everything. I did read that they have reduced the background operations in Windows 10 so it might sound better, I completely passed over Windows 8 and 8.1. All the touch screen and mobile stuff is useless to me. I don't see getting a windows based phone anytime soon. I'm stuck on Android. I am still looking forward to seeing what Google comes up with their new OS. Pretty clever guys over at Google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back