Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #483 of 3,700
Your PC can, if you absolutely must...

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #485 of 3,700
Deleted - wrong thread!

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #486 of 3,700
I am new here and ordered U12 yesterday from Shenzhenaudio.com.
Does anybody know whether there is a decoding function of DoP?
I mean, getting DSD native signal from I2S for DoP input.
My DAC has I2S/DSD input (RJ45) which accpets PCM and DSD native, but not DoP.
For DoP, I must use the USB input of the DAC.  Inside there is a DoP USB-I2S/DSD board like Combo384.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #487 of 3,700
  I am new here and ordered U12 yesterday from Shenzhenaudio.com.
Does anybody know whether there is a decoding function of DoP?
I mean, getting DSD native signal from I2S for DoP input.
My DAC has I2S/DSD input (RJ45) which accpets PCM and DSD native, but not DoP.
For DoP, I must use the USB input of the DAC.  Inside there is a DoP USB-I2S/DSD board like Combo384.

What dac are you using? If your dac accepts DSD native why would you want to use DoP? The Combo384 uses native DSD up to DSD256 (they list DSD512 but new firmware will be coming to support that). 

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #489 of 3,700
DoP is necessary for DSD playback with JPLAY. My DAC is similar to LKS MH-D002 from a small Japanese manufacturer.

I think I know the manufacturer if it is the one I am thinking of they are an oem for LKS they do repackaging and perhaps some other upgrades for sale in Japan. That dac has a usb input and the U12  has a usb output that supports up to 384K so it should be fine for dop if that is your preference. It should work fine with the Jplay driver but I have not had a reason to try it. Maybe someone here has and can comment.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #491 of 3,700
U12, vs Wyrd, vs Gungnir, or maybe all combined :)

Soo. I've recently done a huge headphone upgrade.  I've gone from some Senn HD280's and a Headroom Total Bithead AMP/DAC to a HD-500, Lyr2, Gungnir, and now Wyrd.

It sound great :) But, I'm getting static at 65-70% volume and up.  It's not very noticeable at 65% but as you move to 100% it becomes very noticeable.  I'm testing this with no audio playing and when listening to music I don't notice it and I hardly have it over 50% volume on most songs.  But some music that is especially quiet I crank up the knob pretty far and then I notice the static in quiet passages.

I contacted Schiit and worked though a little troubleshooting with them and they said it sounded like a "usb ground loop" issue.  They recommended the Wyrd.  So I got one and installed it this morning and it didn't make any difference at all, or at least not that I can tell.  Same static at 65% or higher volume on my Lyr 2.

So, I'm curious if the U12 might fix this problem and also provide other benefits?  Does anyone know how it's USB interface compares to the Gungnir's (which is supposedly super awesome world changing thingy-ma-bob or something) ? 

Would switching to the U12 and connecting via optical to the Gungnir fix the problem?   (I know that's hard to answer).

Are there some tests or things I could try to help find other possible sources of the noise (I know this is really OT, sorry).

I'm willing to send the Wyrd back and get the U12.  I just hate to buy another thing and find it doesn't help either.  Hoping maybe someone here had some advise or has been able to compare the Wyrd, U12, or Gungnir in some way.

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #492 of 3,700
If you are getting static one of your components is defective. Could even be something as simple as a cable but it is surely a defective component. You did not say if you get this static equally through both channels? That would help sort this out. Any component from the computer through the headphones could be the problem but if it is in both channels it is not likely the headphones. I would not suggest spending money on another component until you track down the source of the problem. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #493 of 3,700
So, my current chain.  Computer > Wyrd > Gungnir > Lyr 2 > HE-500.

If I unplug the USB cable from my computer, static is gone.

If I unplug the USB cable from the Gungnir, (So, no computer, no Wyrd) the static is gone.

If I leave the Gungnir plugged into the Computer or Wyrd>Computer, but unplug the RCA's from the Gungnir that go into my Lyr 2, the static is gone.

I suppose, this means either the USB connection is causing the static somehow, or the Gungnir itself (or it's USB interface) is causing the static. 

I could take all this stuff home and try using my Oppo or my UMC-200 to see what changes I get mixing things around.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #494 of 3,700
  So, my current chain.  Computer > Wyrd > Gungnir > Lyr 2 > HE-500.

If I unplug the USB cable from my computer, static is gone.

If I unplug the USB cable from the Gungnir, (So, no computer, no Wyrd) the static is gone.

If I leave the Gungnir plugged into the Computer or Wyrd>Computer, but unplug the RCA's from the Gungnir that go into my Lyr 2, the static is gone.

I suppose, this means either the USB connection is causing the static somehow, or the Gungnir itself (or it's USB interface) is causing the static. 

I could take all this stuff home and try using my Oppo or my UMC-200 to see what changes I get mixing things around.

Trying the Oppo would be my suggestion, maybe from a cd using SPDIF coax out and then SPDIF optical out.  Into the Gungnir - that will tell you if it's the Gungnir and if it's maybe a problem with it's internal USB board.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #495 of 3,700
  If you are getting static one of your components is defective. Could even be something as simple as a cable but it is surely a defective component. You did not say if you get this static equally through both channels? That would help sort this out. Any component from the computer through the headphones could be the problem but if it is in both channels it is not likely the headphones. I would not suggest spending money on another component until you track down the source of the problem. 

Ah, forgot to mention.

Static comes in on both channels into the headphones.  I'm going to work on trying to test different things and see if I can narrow it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back