Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #436 of 3,700
phile1, your instructions worked to install Chodi's WaveIO driver.  Thanks!

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #437 of 3,700
Would it be overkill to try with either the Gustard or Audio-gd di-2014 one of those Elijah audio type power drain cables to either a teradak supply or battery power supply. I know they do a much better job with the power than cheaper usb to spdif, but was wondering if that would even raise them up another notch. Opinions/experience?

Thanks
Ryno

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #440 of 3,700
  Hi and thanks again for all the tips, I just ordered one of these... if anyone is using JPlay successfully can you please advise which driver ?
Thanks.. 

I was running JPlay with my Musiland 03's without much problems.  But to get the WaveIO driver to install I had to uninstall JPlay.  I still haven't tried to reinstall it yet.  Just so happy with the sound of the U12 - I don't want to jinx it.  Actually, I'm quite satisfied with the SQ of the U12 - it has a natural ease to the sound - like some hidden distortion has been lifted.  For the first time my digital system is at a par with my analog one.  I partly attribute this to the Gustard and a major part to the incredibly musical, transparent and dynamic LiteDAC60 heavily moded.  Cheers to true R2R DACs and Mundorf Silver/Oil caps! 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Down the road I may give JPlay a try with the Gustard - when I'm in an experimental and patient mood.  You know how temperamental JPlay can be - can you say 'bluescreen'.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #441 of 3,700
My U12 came in today and I believe with the latest driver on the disc [v 2.23]. I ordered from kiduit_online on amazon.uk
Will test the unit thoroughly when I receive the Gungnir [just sold my NFB-7]

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #442 of 3,700
A recent post over on the HifiDuino blog regarding the XMOS clocking

in response to BlgGear:
Yes, that is an “interesting device”. Would like to know whether the PFGA does reclocking. The XMOS is already capable of handling the USB side and in passing PCM and DSD data. The Musiland devices also use an FPGA, but they do not have an XMOS. I can see you’ve done extensive mods already…

In a way all devices that transfer data through USB do some sort of reclocking since the data coming through the USB has a different time domain. The Musiland reclocks the data with clocks generated by the FPGA clock management modules through clock division and multiplication and cascading. The XMOS reclocks the data by generating clocks based on its 400/500 MHz clock by “picking clock ticks that coincide with the external clock ticks”. It is possible that the Gustard uses the XMOS for its USB interface (and mature device driver) and the FPGA to reclock the data but based on simple clock division of external clocks rather than relying on its internal clock management circuitry. Based on most data sheets, the jitter originated from simple clock division is lower than the jitter originated from multiplication/division/cascading.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #443 of 3,700
  My U12 came in today and I believe with the latest driver on the disc [v 2.23]. I ordered from kiduit_online on amazon.uk
Will test the unit thoroughly when I receive the Gungnir [just sold my NFB-7]

It will be interesting to see how the U12 stacks up to the Gungir internal USB as well.

USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant

Gungnir’s Gen 2 USB input is one of the most advanced implementations available today, featuring a high-speed USB 2.0 interface (not 1.1) and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176, based on the C-Media CM6631A USB receiver. No drivers are required for Macs, iPhones, iPads, and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, and XP.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #447 of 3,700

I was running JPlay with my Musiland 03's without much problems.  But to get the WaveIO driver to install I had to uninstall JPlay.  I still haven't tried to reinstall it yet.  Just so happy with the sound of the U12 - I don't want to jinx it.  Actually, I'm quite satisfied with the SQ of the U12 - it has a natural ease to the sound - like some hidden distortion has been lifted.  For the first time my digital system is at a par with my analog one.  I partly attribute this to the Gustard and a major part to the incredibly musical, transparent and dynamic LiteDAC60 heavily moded.  Cheers to true R2R DACs and Mundorf Silver/Oil caps! 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Down the road I may give JPlay a try with the Gustard - when I'm in an experimental and patient mood.  You know how temperamental JPlay can be - can you say 'bluescreen'.

Hi, many thanks for your driver config... I have been lucky with JPlay, for 2 years or so, no BSOD.. but I have a pretty simple server with just WIN2012 Server, AO, and JPlay.
I use the JPlay Mini ap in Hibernate mode and only play .wav files.
I like JPlay for the various engine/buffer options - and actually XMOS is pretty well received with some very low latencies reported.

Currently for DDC I am using a Teradak 9V 1A LPS powering an iFi iUSB ->adapter-> Wyred 4 Sound uLink (also XMOS).
It actually sounds great via BNC to a Audio GD NOS1704 DAC.. the ULink is rock-solid with JPlay..

Since the W4S SQ is rated a little below Audiophilleo, I am hoping the Gustard will be a step up, but mainly I am thinking to upgrade to a M7 DAC soon and so will ask Kingwa to match the Gustard HDMI pinouts.. (..I will wait for the Schiit Yggy reviews before pulling the trigger on the M7 though..)

Thanks again - if any other Gustard folks are using JPlay, please chime-in... in any case I will report back in a week or two with the Gustard to W4S comparison and also the Gustard driver JPlay compatibility..

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #448 of 3,700
Coming from a musiland usd 01 I have been listening to this gustard u12 with standard driver for about 2 weeks now. Based on these 2 weeks I have noticed a definitive improvement over the musiland in terms of resolution. I say this based on the fact that I find it easier to recognize instruments in the background and am better able to make a distinction between instruments / voices (for example a choir). I will try Chodi's driver next - thanks!  

My setup is a passive win 8.1 htpc with foobar wasapi -> u12 -> smsl sd-793 (dir9001 - pcm1793 - dual LME49710HA) with linear ps -> kingrex pre-amp -> dual vertical bi-amp sure tpa3116 -> kef iq5se's. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #449 of 3,700

Hi, many thanks for your driver config... I have been lucky with JPlay, for 2 years or so, no BSOD.. but I have a pretty simple server with just WIN2012 Server, AO, and JPlay.
I use the JPlay Mini ap in Hibernate mode and only play .wav files.
I like JPlay for the various engine/buffer options - and actually XMOS is pretty well received with some very low latencies reported.

Currently for DDC I am using a Teradak 9V 1A LPS powering an iFi iUSB ->adapter-> Wyred 4 Sound uLink (also XMOS).
It actually sounds great via BNC to a Audio GD NOS1704 DAC.. the ULink is rock-solid with JPlay..

Since the W4S SQ is rated a little below Audiophilleo, I am hoping the Gustard will be a step up, but mainly I am thinking to upgrade to a M7 DAC soon and so will ask Kingwa to match the Gustard HDMI pinouts.. (..I will wait for the Schiit Yggy reviews before pulling the trigger on the M7 though..)

Thanks again - if any other Gustard folks are using JPlay, please chime-in... in any case I will report back in a week or two with the Gustard to W4S comparison and also the Gustard driver JPlay compatibility..

Long live the R2R PCM 1704 - a true 24bit laser precision resistor ladder DAC chip!

I ran JPlay with the 'beach' engine and a large buffer - with Foobar 2000v1.3.4 and SoX

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #450 of 3,700
just got the x12 to partner the u12, think they go together well, connected via i2s, very live sound with plenty of insight, looking forward to it improving after burn in. tried the onboard usb and sounded a bit thin, guess because it's new, but it's also limited in output formats with only i2s giving dsd 128, surprised at how good the bass is straight out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back