Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #407 of 3,700
  is it usual to have all outputs on all the time, would it benefit the sq if the ones not required were removed/switched off ?

Yes, this is quite normal for all outputs to be active on a USB->multi-output convertor. Other big names that work the same way are EA - Off Ramp 5, Audiobyte - Hydra series, Musiland USD, and Channel Islands Audio - Transient MKII. 

I have no idea if it's the additional complexity, additional noise created by the switch itself, or lack of need by the general buyer of this type of device, but it seems to be par for the course for all outputs to be active at the same time. And also par for the course that it's recommended that only 1 output be used at a time.

I'm sure there are other convertors that don't have all outputs active simultaneously, but none that I've cared very much about or that I remember creating much of a stir anywhere.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #409 of 3,700
2 posts asking the same exact question within 3 hours? This isn't an instant messaging program, it's a forum. 

Be more specific about what you mean. Please don't respond with "noise on the USB line".

the problem I'm having is when I turn up the volume at max then I hear some humming noise but when I disconnect the USB cable then it is dead quiet (without music playing)

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #410 of 3,700
  is it usual to have all outputs on all the time, would it benefit the sq if the ones not required were removed/switched off ?

One of things I liked about the Musiland USB 3.0 US was their control panel allowed you to turn on and off any of the outputs, as well as control vol and Bal.

It was a very nice and sable piece of software.  Allowed adjusting of the buffer setting in the ASIO and had a readout for input and output sampling rates.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #411 of 3,700
the problem I'm having is when I turn up the volume at max then I hear some humming noise but when I disconnect the USB cable then it is dead quiet (without music playing)

It may be coming from your computer - possibly a ground loop hum of some kind.  Try all your other USB slots and see if that goes away.  Which vol are turning up to max - your amp?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #412 of 3,700

See, that's the kind of explanation we needed :)

That's not what people consider "USB noise". What we call USB noise is generally considered digital harshness and/or jitter, which is transmitted from the PC by using the USB protocol. There are many products to combat this, like the Schiit - Wyrd, iFi Audio - iPurifier, and Ultra-Fi - Aubisque USB filter.

But what you're talking about, that's a ground loop as far as I understand. Unfortunately that's the end of what I know about the topic and I'll have to let someone else join in about how to combat that.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #413 of 3,700
See, that's the kind of explanation we needed :)

That's not what people consider "USB noise". What we call USB noise is generally considered digital harshness and/or jitter, which is transmitted from the PC by using the USB protocol. There are many products to combat this, like the Schiit - Wyrd, iFi Audio - iPurifier, and Ultra-Fi - Aubisque USB filter.

But what you're talking about, that's a ground loop as far as I understand. Unfortunately that's the end of what I know about the topic and I'll have to let someone else join in about how to combat that.

Im sorry I mean a hising noise

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #415 of 3,700
  Yes, this is quite normal for all outputs to be active on a USB->multi-output convertor. Other big names that work the same way are EA - Off Ramp 5, Audiobyte - Hydra series, Musiland USD, and Channel Islands Audio - Transient MKII. 

I have no idea if it's the additional complexity, additional noise created by the switch itself, or lack of need by the general buyer of this type of device, but it seems to be par for the course for all outputs to be active at the same time. And also par for the course that it's recommended that only 1 output be used at a time.

I'm sure there are other convertors that don't have all outputs active simultaneously, but none that I've cared very much about or that I remember creating much of a stir anywhere.

I removed the toslink sender from a squeezebox touch and thought it improved the sq, so might consider doing the same to the u12 as I only need the aes/ebu connection.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #418 of 3,700
  Where can I find the Windows driver for this?

Found the driver.  However, is there a compatibility mode?  I'm running Windows server 2012 R2.  

Also use Windows server 2012 R2 (Audiophile core edition) + JRiver, recommend to use WaveIO driver modified by Chodi:
http://www.speedyshare.com/RXMDH/Luckit-2.23-for-Gustard-U12.rar
With this driver you have ability to adjust the latency.

Besides you need to enable unsigned driver installations.
1. Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
2. Enter the following command and press Enter:
BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
3. If this completes successfully, enter the next command:
BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING ON
4. Once competed, restart the server

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #419 of 3,700
  Also use Windows server 2012 R2 (Audiophile core edition) + JRiver, recommend to use WaveIO driver modified by Chodi:
http://www.speedyshare.com/RXMDH/Luckit-2.23-for-Gustard-U12.rar
With this driver you have ability to adjust the latency.

Besides you need to enable unsigned driver installations.
1. Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)
2. Enter the following command and press Enter:
3. If this completes successfully, enter the next command:
4. Once competed, restart the server

I did all the steps - but it still failed at the end.  Take a look

------------------------------------------------------------
Preparation.
Uninstalling 'USB Audio Driver for WaveIO v2.23.0'.
This may take some time to complete. Please wait ...
Preparing installation.

Installation.
Adding uninstallation support ...
Create folder: C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver
Create folder: C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\uninstall.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\setup.bmp
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\setup.ini
Output folder: C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIO.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOks.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIO_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOks_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIO.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOks.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOasio.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOasio_x64.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\custom.ini
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCplApp.xml
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioSpy.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioDfu.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioDfu.xml
Copy to C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCplApp.exe
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll"
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOasio.dll"
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOasio_x64.dll"
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudio Control Panel.lnk
Preinstalling drivers.

ERROR: Pre-installation of 'C:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\WaveIOks.inf' failed.
Please run setup again!

==============================
Installation failed.
==============================

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #420 of 3,700
Strange...
I've installed without any problem with following steps:
1. Return Windows server 2012 R2 to the standard mode with GUI
2. Remove Gustard native drivers through control panel.
3. cmd (Run as Administrator)
4. Enter the following command and press Enter:
5. If this completes successfully, enter the next command:
6. Reboot server
7. You have to see in the lower-right corner of the desktop "Test Mode"
8. Install modified driver
9. Run c:\Program Files\WaveIO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCplApp.exe and set "Minimal latency"
10. Return back to the core mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back