Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #346 of 3,700
  Believe me, I read the entire thread before asking, try to re-read my first post. Expected to see specific recommendations on capacitors replacement and got them as well as other tips.

So why did you repeatedly (and in a somewhat rude fashion) ask for the cap values when I posted it with pictures back on page 4, post #57? Sheesh!
confused_face_2.gif
   http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/45

10/12/14 at 10:29am

OK I cracked open the case for some photos. While it was open, I decided to swap the

Philips BC 2,200uf 25v filter caps for some same sized Pana FCs

I had leftover from another project.

Should give a little better ps ripple filtering.

Here are the photos:

Edited by rb2013 - 10/12/14 at 10:32am

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #347 of 3,700
Waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully later this week 
popcorn.gif

I hope I like it, for the price 
biggrin.gif
 Seems like a very decent USB converter 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #350 of 3,700

That's not that much money. Not like you can buy a pair of headphones with that much money 
wink.gif

You're right, I can buy two AKG K240 MKII's for that price, or the Gustard U12, or 3 HiFiMAN RE-400s, or the Q701s.
Or the Vali, or Mini-X. Or the M-Stage.
Just saying 
biggrin.gif

[Sarcasm, right
tongue.gif
]

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #351 of 3,700

That's not that much money. Not like you can buy a pair of headphones with that much money 
wink.gif

You're right, I can buy two AKG K240 MKII's for that price, or the Gustard U12, or 3 HiFiMAN RE-400s, or the Q701s.
Or the Vali, or Mini-X. Or the M-Stage.
Just saying 
biggrin.gif

[Sarcasm, right
tongue.gif
]

haha, yea I think you caught my drift. I stopped playing into those expensive cables awhile back. Blind testing changed my mind a lot. Even if I was sure I heard a huge difference, blind testing made it clear the difference was very subtle. 

Off topic, since we're both hifiman fans, what amps are you running lately? I can't seem to find a good (would like balanced) amp to run them on. I keep my eyes open, but can't find anything I really enjoy them with. Have you jumped on the new Hifiman cans?

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #352 of 3,700

haha, yea I think you caught my drift. I stopped playing into those expensive cables awhile back. Blind testing changed my mind a lot. Even if I was sure I heard a huge difference, blind testing made it clear the difference was very subtle. 

Off topic, since we're both hifiman fans, what amps are you running lately? I can't seem to find a good (would like balanced) amp to run them on. I keep my eyes open, but can't find anything I really enjoy them with. Have you jumped on the new Hifiman cans?

I use the now discontinued Audio-gd SA31SE [with a custom 5/25 gain board] with the HE-560 and I quite like it. I am in the process of selling my NFB-7 and getting a Gungnir. Hopefully, it'll work out. The NFB-7 is a great, uber detailed DAC, but the HiFiMANs strive for more musicality, which it does not add.
Eventually, I guess I'd like to end up with the Rag and Yggy combo, but I want to try the cheaper Schiit first :]

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #354 of 3,700

I'm honored to be in the presence of such audio wizards.  A pair of $300 Headphones and an amp and everyone's a seasoned audiophile. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #355 of 3,700
Quote:

I use the now discontinued Audio-gd SA31SE [with a custom 5/25 gain board] with the HE-560 and I quite like it. I am in the process of selling my NFB-7 and getting a Gungnir. Hopefully, it'll work out. The NFB-7 is a great, uber detailed DAC, but the HiFiMANs strive for more musicality, which it does not add.
Eventually, I guess I'd like to end up with the Rag and Yggy combo, but I want to try the cheaper Schiit first :]

Yea, I think I'm kind of on the same course as you. I'm playing around in the $200-$600 area, but nothing's really standing out. Maybe we'll both end up with Raggys! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I'm honored to be in the presence of such audio wizards.  A pair of $300 Headphones and an amp and everyone's a seasoned audiophile. 

Of course not! It takes a $200 cable to attain enough audiophile snobbery to condescend the $300 peasants! 

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #356 of 3,700

Of course not! It takes a $200 cable to attain enough audiophile snobbery to condescend the $300 peasants! 

I bow to the 'Master Blower'.  Did you really have all those HPs and equipment on your list?  Most audio snobs don't trade
trade $30K speakers for $800 ones - unless they've lost they're jobs.  I just go with what sounds good.

Headphone Inventory

Only headphones of interest noted:

Current:

Hifiman HE-500
Denon: D7000
Sony SA5000
AKG K702-65AE
AKG Q701
Mad Dogs

Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10

Audio Technica AD-2000
Audio Technica AD-900
Audio Technica A-900

Beyerdynamic T1
Beyerdynamic: DT880 250ohm(balanced)
Beyerdynamic: DT880 600ohm
Beyerdynamic: DT770
Beyerdynamic: DT990 600ohm(balanced)
Beyerdynamic: DT990 250ohm

AKG: K702 (balanced)
AKG: K701 (balanced)X3
AKG: Q701
AKG: K601 X2
AKG: K501
AKG: K340
AKG: K240 (Sextets MP)
AKG: K240 (Sextets EP)

Ultrasone: HFI-780 (balanced)
Ultrasone: HFI-2400
Ultrasone: Pro-900
Ultrasone: Edition 8

Hifiman: HE-4
Hifiman: HE-400
Hifiman: HE-5
Hifiman: HE-5LE
Hifiman: HE-6

Denon D5000
Denon D2000

Sennheiser: HD580 X2
Sennheiser: HD590
Sennheiser: HD600 (balanced)
Sennheiser: HD650 (balanced) X3
Sennheiser: HD800

Grado: SR225 (balanced)
Grado: HF1
Grado: HF2
Grado: RS1
Grado: RS2 (balanced)

Fostex: T50RP

Sony: SA5000 (balanced)
Sony: SA3000

Ultimate Ears Super Fi
Klipsch all over
Sleek Audio SA6

Headphone Amp Inventory

Current:
Burson Soloist-SL
Schiit Vali
iBasso PB-1
Emotiva A-100
Matrix M-stage

Past:
Burson Soloist
Little Dot i+,
Little Dot II,
Little Dot III,
Little Dot V,
Little Dot VI+
Little Dot VII+
Audio-GD Phoenix
Audio-GD Roc
Audiotailor Jade
RSA Tomahawk,
RSA Hornet
RSA SR-71A
IBasso - D10
SWA CKKIII

Source Inventory

Current:
Audio-GD Reference 1
Audio-GD Reference 3
Fiio X5
Emotiva Stealth DC-1
Zune HD
Iriver H320

Past:
Audio-GD Reference 5
Audio-GD Reference 19
Audio-GD DI
Little Dot DAC_I
Maverick Audio DAC1
Cowon D5, X5L, D2

BTW I'd try the Moon Blue Dragon HP cable with your HE-500's.  When I had mine it really helped them sound better.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #357 of 3,700

I bow to the 'Master Blower'.  Did you really have all those HPs and equipment on your list?  Most audio snobs don't trade
trade $30K speakers for $800 ones - unless they've lost they're jobs.  I just go with what sounds good.

I wouldn't spend $30k on speakers 
wink.gif
. If $800 sounds better, why not buy those? Once you're in that range, you're paying for the psychological effect more than actual performance. But then again, if cables make such a large difference, maybe there's more to gain at that level.

Only takes a moment to look at my trader feedback and see those listed. I started using my profile as a way to track the gear I've owned since it's pretty convenient.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #358 of 3,700

wink.gif
. If $800 sounds better, why not buy those? Once you're in that range, you're paying for the psychological effect more than actual performance. But then again, if cables make such a large difference, maybe there's more to gain at that level.

Only takes a moment to look at my trader feedback and see those listed. I started using my profile as a way to track the gear I've owned since it's pretty convenient.

You mean 69? HE?! HE?!
Sorry, I had to 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #359 of 3,700

wink.gif

+1 Well I agree with all that.  I  fortunately bought the $30K speaker used - like almost all my cables and gear.  I paid $12K and sold them for the same.  The Maggies just image so well and project a life size image.  Really fun to listen to  - they need a very clean source and a pretty big room.

Hey 69 is a great trader score!  Does spending $2,000 on a headphone make you a Headphone Snob?  Just kidding!
wink_face.gif

My feedback on Audiogon (Rb99) is 634 (214 transactions - 213 positive - 1 neutral). I have bought and sold alot of gear over 20 years - including a pretty vast array of cables. 
To me they do sound different - I can double blind pick them out - and cost does not guarantee the best sound.  $219 is not alot in my book to spend on a cable - I've spent thousands.  Is it money 'well spent'?  Not most of the time - I will freely admit.  But some times a absolute yes!

Take my HD800's I would have sold them for the Stax-009's if I had to listen to the stock cable.  The Moon Black Dragon V2's cured the sibilance issues, gave them a richer tone and much better bass.  The difference in these HP's with this cable is not subtle.  

Have you read the epic 'Battle of 58 Flagship Headphone' thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

David Mahler used upgraded cables and even upgraded his HP cables.  I think he's a pretty good Headfier and not some shill for cable companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back