Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 4, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #316 of 3,700
Since this unit takes AC, I was looks at AC line filters to put inside the Gustard. I could go with a cap across the terminals inside the Gustard or with a choke. Does anyone have any experience with a good or "better" AC cap or choke? I know that whatever cap I end up using, it needs to be marked X1 or X2 on the outside to show it's OK for AC applications. And for chokes, does anyone have any experience with these Murata ones? http://www.murata.com/en-us/products/emc/acline

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #317 of 3,700
Since this unit takes AC, I was looks at AC line filters to put inside the Gustard. I could go with a cap across the terminals inside the Gustard or with a choke. Does anyone have any experience with a good or "better" AC cap or choke? I know that whatever cap I end up using, it needs to be marked X1 or X2 on the outside to show it's OK for AC applications. And for chokes, does anyone have any experience with these Murata ones? http://www.murata.com/en-us/products/emc/acline

I upgraded my power cord to a Shunyata Venom, and run it through a Richard Gray power filter/transformer. I also upgraded the lytic ps filtering caps to FC's. I used a Hammond choke filter to replace a major ps resistor in my DAC mod project, it was a nice improvement. These chokes are large and would likely not fit in the case.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #318 of 3,700
I upgraded my power cord to a Shunyata Venom, and run it through a Richard Gray power filter/transformer. I also upgraded the lytic ps filtering caps to FC's. I used a Hammond choke filter to replace a major ps resistor in my DAC mod project, it was a nice improvement. These chokes are large and would likely not fit in the case.

I've read your build thread a few times and I used to have the Lite DAC-83. Man did I ever love the craftsmanship of that DAC! It's hands down the most precise and well built component I've owned. Your Lite DAC-63 must be similar, and from your build thread it looks like you've done good work with it. Unfortunately I had to sell my DAC-83 when I moved, but I really loved it. I did find that it didn't have the best synergy with the JKMk3 HiFace and DNA Sonnet I owned. I loved all 3 pieces individually, but together there weren't a great match.

About the Hammond choke, definitely couldn't fit one in the U12, but I'll fit something in there. I was looking at the small Murata chokes that I linked to because they'd definitely fit in there.

I also received my U12 today and is it ever a solid feeling component. Ha, even if it doesn't work I'm still happy I own it. It's a rock solid feeling little device and I'm really looking forward to hooking it up to my PWD Mkii later. The mods should be a lot of fun too, whenever I get to them.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #319 of 3,700
  I've read your build thread a few times and I used to have the Lite DAC-83. Man did I ever love the craftsmanship of that DAC! It's hands down the most precise and well built component I've owned. Your Lite DAC-63 must be similar, and from your build thread it looks like you've done good work with it. Unfortunately I had to sell my DAC-83 when I moved, but I really loved it. I did find that it didn't have the best synergy with the JKMk3 HiFace and DNA Sonnet I owned. I loved all 3 pieces individually, but together there weren't a great match.

About the Hammond choke, definitely couldn't fit one in the U12, but I'll fit something in there. I was looking at the small Murata chokes that I linked to because they'd definitely fit in there.

I also received my U12 today and is it ever a solid feeling component. Ha, even if it doesn't work I'm still happy I own it. It's a rock solid feeling little device and I'm really looking forward to hooking it up to my PWD Mkii later. The mods should be a lot of fun too, whenever I get to them.

Yes that Lite DAC-83 is a beautiful unit. 

The U12 is very well finished and has the feel of a much more expensive piece of gear.  The board and components look to be of decent quality.  Keep me posted on the Murata chokes - that would be an interesting mod.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #321 of 3,700
Hi guys,
I got mine U12 week ago (as NY present
biggrin.gif
) to paired with NAD M51 DAC and compare with build-in USB. The achieved results were good enough, even better than expected 
beyersmile.png

Anyway I am thinking about mods. As far as I see there the main route is:
- digital transformer pulse PE-65612NL -> Murata DA101C (it's clear)
- replace power caps to Panasonic FC's. Could you please advice which Pana caps are needed (capacity type, link if possible)
Any other suggestions?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #323 of 3,700
ok, I will describe the full config:
I am using dedicated MusicPC (Gigabyte J1800N-2H + PPA Studio Audio Grade USB 3.0 PCIe Card, Wesena ITX4, Server 2012 audiophile core edition + JRiver) with 2 PSU (linear for MB + impulse for HDD/SSD) -> NAD M51  -> Ayre V-3x  (XLR) -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor.

Previously PC was connected via AudioQuest Carbon USB to build-in USB, now I am using the U12 through coax.

I've got more "neutral" sound in my taste but lost some "detail". Hope  mods could improve this.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #324 of 3,700

I am using dedicated MusicPC (Gigabyte J1800N-2H + PPA Studio Audio Grade USB 3.0 PCIe Card, Wesena ITX4, Server 2012 audiophile core edition + JRiver) with 2 PSU (linear for MB + impulse for HDD/SSD) -> NAD M51  -> Ayre V-3x  (XLR) -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor.

Previously PC was connected via AudioQuest Carbon USB to build-in USB, now I am using the U12 through coax.

I've got more "neutral" sound in my taste but lost some "detail". Hope  mods could improve this.
What coax cable are you using?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #325 of 3,700
  Hi guys,
I got mine U12 week ago (as NY present
biggrin.gif
) to paired with NAD M51 DAC and compare with build-in USB. The achieved results were good enough, even better than expected 
beyersmile.png

Anyway I am thinking about mods. As far as I see there the main route is:
- digital transformer pulse PE-65612NL -> Murata DA101C (it's clear)
- replace power caps to Panasonic FC's. Could you please advice which Pana caps are needed (capacity type, link if possible)
Any other suggestions?

Just the same value FCs mouser has them

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #327 of 3,700

can I know how you fix you up the pc CAS. is it all in the same chassis ? some picture will help a lot.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #328 of 3,700
  Kimber Kable Illuminations D60

You might want to try a better cable, I've had good success with the Audio Sensibility Ref 1.5M.  I tried 5 different cables, some more expensive -this was the best.  Not ridiculously priced.  $219 for a 1.5M (the optimal digital coax length to reduce back reflections)

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/digital-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/#!/Statement-Silver-S-PDIF-RCA-BNC-Digital-Cable/p/17562670/category=4059160

Which cable are you using for USB?

PS Those Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors are awesome speakers! - a friend has a pr

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #329 of 3,700
Sure, 219$ for a 1.5M cable is almost dirt cheap 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back