Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #302 of 3,700
Well, the overwhelmingly positive impressions got the best of me 
biggrin.gif

Besides, if it really is smoother than the USB32 and is a better match with the Sabre, I'll be beyond happy 
smily_headphones1.gif

The DI-V2014 is amazing and I love it, but for all things it does well, revealing all the details there are, I wish it revealed a bit less sometimes, coupled with the uber-revealing Sabre 
biggrin.gif

I think it would be a brilliant match with a Wolfson or Burr-Brown, or any NOS/R2R/tube DAC [or chip]. With some of my tracks, it sounds heavenly in this combo, while with others it is a bit harsh. I'd gladly take a compromise and get great results with all, at a smoother overall tonality.
I'll see whether the U12 will do it, or if it'd only help to a point.
Certainly looking forward to comparing the two units 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #303 of 3,700
One important thing I should have verified [oops
biggrin.gif
], is whether the U12 can pass DD5.1/AC3 virtual surround processing.

The DI-V2014 does. The Berkeley Alpha does not. Seems to be kind of hit or miss.
It is a thing I need it to do though [since I game a lot. Movies are fine in JRiver down-mixed, as it actually sounds kinda convincing!], so I hope it will 
If anyone could confirm, that'd be nice. If not, I'll wait and see.

EDIT: Ooops, mistook the optical output of the U12 for an input. So I'll have to go optical to my DAC when gaming [hardly an issue though].
The DI and U12 will be compared purely as USB-to-HDMI converters then. [Possibly other outputs later]

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #304 of 3,700
  Thanks for the advice.  I was able to stream a 384 khz 32 bit file just fine from the SOTM SMS-100 through the Gustard.  However, quite frankly, I will stop spending a premium on high resolution files.  The Gustard make redbook files sounds so fine, I just don't see the need for high resolution DSD or PCM.  

Give the SoX resampler a try - I like the sound of Redbook resampled to 24/192 (highest my DAC can receive).  It has lot's of options - I've been using it awhile.  My settings are Quality: Best, Passband: 95%, Allow Aliasing: Yes, Phase Response: 50% Linear.

I have a cheaper Musiland Monitor USB 3.0 it's an all in one unit USB/DAC - it takes the 384K files from 2L just fine - also I can upsample to that rate, again no problem.  Nothing higher though.

Try SoX, it's free on the hydrogen forums

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #307 of 3,700
  Well, the overwhelmingly positive impressions got the best of me 
biggrin.gif

Besides, if it really is smoother than the USB32 and is a better match with the Sabre, I'll be beyond happy 
smily_headphones1.gif

The DI-V2014 is amazing and I love it, but for all things it does well, revealing all the details there are, I wish it revealed a bit less sometimes, coupled with the uber-revealing Sabre 
biggrin.gif

I think it would be a brilliant match with a Wolfson or Burr-Brown, or any NOS/R2R/tube DAC [or chip]. With some of my tracks, it sounds heavenly in this combo, while with others it is a bit harsh. I'd gladly take a compromise and get great results with all, at a smoother overall tonality.
I'll see whether the U12 will do it, or if it'd only help to a point.
Certainly looking forward to comparing the two units 
smily_headphones1.gif

With my modded tube R2R Lite DAC60 - match made in heaven.  Tube warmth, richness and tonality coupled with the detail, clarity, and transparency of the Gustard - Yeow!

I have two U12's, the other feeds my near SOTA (6 AKM 32bit DACs per channel, Luhndal transformer coupled, tubed) APL DAC.  Stunning!  The best I've ever had in 25 years of audio.  I digitalized my LPs a few years back, using proaudio ADCs - 32bit/176K sampling.  This was off a near SOTA analog setup (VPI table, Dynavector XV1S, etc), the play back of these files is as close to that $30K rig as I have ever heard - 99% of the LPs playing in real time.

Can't ask for more then that.

PS Here is the link to my DAC Mod Project thread - the results exceeded my best expectations
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #308 of 3,700
Thanks, though I wonder how it does with SS Sabre sources, rather than tube DACs.
No offence meant, just not something I can relate to yet [have not tried tubes yet] 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #309 of 3,700
  Thanks, though I wonder how it does with SS Sabre sources, rather than tube DACs.
No offence meant, just not something I can relate to yet [have not tried tubes yet] 
smily_headphones1.gif

No offense taken!  Early on in my audio days I was a solid state guy - lot's of stuff from Krell, Pass, Meridian, Musical Fidelity, etc...I tried over a dozen cd players/dac/transports (pre music server days).  I stumbled onto tube gear because the SS stuff had boom/sizzle (and great specs), but not the rich tone I found long term satisfying.  But once I got on the tube train about 12 yrs ago - I never got off.  I still think SS does some things better - like amplification (just a deeper, tighter, better controlled, more dynamic bass) and some things tubes do better like pre-amps and gain stages. 

I became a hybrid fan (SS amp - preferably class 'A' circuit design & tubed pre-section) about 6 yrs ago - the best of both worlds.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #310 of 3,700
smily_headphones1.gif

I love U12 with the Yulong D18 (ESS9018)
I loved the U10 as well (same combo Chodi was using)

My friends use the original Young DAC with ext power supplies (one on U10, the other on U12) and that's a little better, but 4x the [retail] price.

I'm also very much in the hybrid camp though I don't use tubed sources.  I have heard a JAS Musik tube rectified CD player that was astounding to my ear.  I'm going to assume that rb2013 is tripping on that same sound.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #311 of 3,700
My U12 should arrive on Monday and I'll be pairing it with a PS-Audio PWD Mkii out of a non-optimized Windows 7 laptop until I get my system up and running.

Given the hypothesis above that the Di-2014 should be a better match for a Wolfson DAC like mine, it'll be interesting to try. I can't say, but I don't think I'll be trying the DI-2014 as it's just silly out of experimental pricing; I'd like to though, if anyone in China is feeling generous enough to send me there's for audition :)

I'll also just have to collect mod supplies for it for now, as I won't have the time to try anything until the end of February or beginning of March.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #312 of 3,700
comparing gustard vs di2014 is like comparing highly spec equipment with well design circuitry. I am interested to know the outcome too.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #313 of 3,700
  I love U12 with the Yulong D18 (ESS9018)
I loved the U10 as well (same combo Chodi was using)

My friends use the original Young DAC with ext power supplies (one on U10, the other on U12) and that's a little better, but 4x the [retail] price.

I'm also very much in the hybrid camp though I don't use tubed sources.  I have heard a JAS Musik tube rectified CD player that was astounding to my ear.  I'm going to assume that rb2013 is tripping on that same sound.

How do you compare the U10 to the U12?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #314 of 3,700
I just got mine delivered tonight and have it hooked up but only now realized I don't have any computer in the house with an optical drive to get the driver from the disc supplied with the U12 (for Windows).  Does anyone have links to downloadable drivers?  I know this thread had discussion of alternate drivers as well.  Links to those would be appreciated as well.  I want to try ASIO.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #315 of 3,700
  I just got mine delivered tonight and have it hooked up but only now realized I don't have any computer in the house with an optical drive to get the driver from the disc supplied with the U12 (for Windows).  Does anyone have links to downloadable drivers?  I know this thread had discussion of alternate drivers as well.  Links to those would be appreciated as well.  I want to try ASIO.

Thanks!

PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back