Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jan 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,376 of 3,700
  I think vibration is very important to getting good sound.    When the breeze first arrived it was sitting on top of the pc.  (which is on the valabs).    A very large improvement came from sitting the breeze on the valabs on a cutting board which sits on mapleshade pads.  I use 5 lb scuba weights on top of things where possible as airborn vibration also has an effect.   Learned this from a recent HRS seminar that I attended.

Right now almost everything is sitting on these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Audio-Vibration-Isolation-Damper-Feet-4-Pcs-/301844883492?

The above setup even helps the dish box sound and look better.

Now back to the regular scheduled channel:   Please update us when the puc arrives!!!

Interesting. Cheap tweeks. I like it. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #3,377 of 3,700
  Can happen, no sweat
wink_face.gif
 , we're all on a learning curve, that's why we call ourselves human
wink_face.gif

Curious about first impressions!

Btw, did you guys heard of, and maybe demoed Acoustic Revive RR-777 / RR-888

https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/roomtuning/rr-77.html

There's a Patend pending, hmm, just received my own designed pcb's today,,,,,, not sure if they can sue me because I use different schematics, different Chip,,,,,,

biggrin.gif

Thanks Alex - Will check out.  Sweet looking board.

Just a new bit about isolation. There is a thread on bamboo planks on headfi. Tried it under thr Master-7. Got a small but noticeable upgrade. Used just about 1 inch thick. Just did the same under my audio-gd pre. Seems to work as well.

Hey rb2013 how about the new mx-u8? Seems very similar to thr breeze with better chassis. In think someone is about to compare them on the mx-u8 thread. Could be a contender.

Were did you get the bamboo planks - sounds interesting.

I had three original MX-U8's - all had problems.  Managed to fix two - but the QC was deplorable.  And they were kind of expensive at $250 each.  So I'm done with Melodious.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,378 of 3,700
I have way too much stuff I'm waiting on in the mail... I still plan to do some reviews on all this gear everyone has been talking about.
I still am waiting for some crystals to arrive to mod some of the ddc's.
The breeze should be a breeze with 957's
The diu8 will be complex and can't use 575's as they don't have correct pin1 for crystal to turn on and off. I will try brain surgery with NDK's on one xmos board, 957's with custom elevated platform I'm still planning that.. And the third xmos board with stock crystals. Likely may end up with NDK's.
The pro3a is on the way and grabbed a DIY xmos to i2s USB module too, with NDK's. (Maybe will make a DDC with HDMI i2s In a little black box
smily_headphones1.gif

So is the two diff regulators , one from acko dac ah75
And the other one I can't remember the name now. Bellison super power mk2
I may have a bunch of extra parts avail for those who might want to source some crystals , sockets and platform boards for 957's.
I'm waiting to hear from kingwa about the extra xmos boards I'm ordering and HDMI i2s output kit.
I did however get ahold of the cable company who makes the graphene extreme and finally got one of those ordered up. Along with some maestro outlets which I'm installing one of them in my psaudio p300.
I'm not to excited right now since my edition x's were sent in for warranty to replace entirely because I'm too picky and they had a minor cosmetic flaw... Haha. But I want a perfect pair.
In the meantime I bought a pair of hd800's and been using sonar works plugin with jriver. It's not too shabby. I still prefer edition x's. But it's amazing how many haters there are of the edition X, but many hate the hd800 too. So whatever.
Once I get all the ddc's sorted, I will get actual detailed measurements of each, from jitter to freq response and noise figures etc. the interesting stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif
but likely won't be til next month .
My father in law had a medical emergency/accident and have family matters to attend to for a while. All is fine and will keep posting when I can.
I'm excited to see someone post some comparison results of ddc's as well. Hoping maybe rb2013 and I would be able to spend a day doing some auditioning of the ddc's and take notes to share with everyone.

Yes you need the 'Tri-State' version.  It looks like a 'Tri-State' version of the 575 isn't available from Digikey at least.
The NDK SD's has the Tri-State function.   Good luck with the mounting efforts.

Waiting to see which of the regulators you prefer.  The Belleson's come highly recommended.

I sold my HD800's and I'm trying to decide to go Stax SR-9/BHSE or the new HD800S/ SCHIIT MJ2.  Likely the later and save some bucks.  Really into my speaker systems right now.

Game to meet up and spend a day comparing the different DDC's for sure.  Hope your family is well.

Tonight the PUC2 lite goes head to head with the DXIO/LPS.  So we'll see what's what - luckily I have A Canare AES to RCA adapter and a 10db attenuator on hand.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,379 of 3,700

Yes you need the 'Tri-State' version.  It looks like a 'Tri-State' version of the 575 isn't available from Digikey at least.
The NDK SD's has the Tri-State function.   Good luck with the mounting efforts.

Waiting to see which of the regulators you prefer.  The Belleson's come highly recommended.

I sold my HD800's and I'm trying to decide to go Stax SR-9/BHSE or the new HD800S/ SCHIIT MJ2.  Likely the later and save some bucks.  Really into my speaker systems right now.

Game to meet up and spend a day comparing the different DDC's for sure.  Hope your family is well.

Tonight the PUC2 lite goes head to head with the DXIO/LPS.  So we'll see what's what - luckily I have A Canare AES to RCA adapter and a 10db attenuator on hand.

can you confirm something for me? The PRO3A's dc input says 5.5mm outer diameter.how silly, the inner diameter is important too!!! is it 2.1mm or 2.5mm?

I have all my LPS with 2.5mm. I hope this is what it uses...

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #3,380 of 3,700
Thanks Alex - Will check out.  Sweet looking board.

Were did you get the bamboo planks - sounds interesting.

I had three original MX-U8's - all had problems.  Managed to fix two - but the QC was deplorable.  And they were kind of expensive at $250 each.  So I'm done with Melodious.

Got them for 3$ each at a dollar shop. Had to use 2 per component, they're just 13 x 8 inches. Just one inch tick, seems efficient and looks not so bad. Good WAF, especially since i have none... Bamboo is supposed to be a very good damper for audio gears.

Might pull the trigger on an Intona usb isolator, a guy on the "vintage/current r2r dacs" thread has one and said it blows the regen away. This device has galvanic isolation. It is usb-powered. He reported a soundstage twice as larged with it. I'll sell my my lan isolator, check for more user feedback and... Their seemed to be some problems with the first batch, might be resolved now. If it works, i'll sell then sell my Wyrd but keep the jitterbugs, can't go wrong with them.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #3,382 of 3,700
Got them for 3$ each at a dollar shop. Had to use 2 per component, they're just 13 x 8 inches. Just one inch tick, seems efficient and looks not so bad. Good WAF, especially since i have none... Bamboo is supposed to be a very good damper for audio gears.

Might pull the trigger on an Intona usb isolator, a guy on the "vintage/current r2r dacs" thread has one and said it blows the regen away. This device has galvanic isolation. It is usb-powered. He reported a soundstage twice as larged with it. I'll sell my my lan isolator, check for more user feedback and... Their seemed to be some problems with the first batch, might be resolved now. If it works, i'll sell then sell my Wyrd but keep the jitterbugs, can't go wrong with them.

Intona usb Isolator - worth a try.  Did you give the Regen a try?  It really needs a good LPS to deliver - I had mixed results - sounds amazing on my office system.  But on the main system it actually made things sound worse with the Hydra Z.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,383 of 3,700
OK PUC2 Lite is up and running.  First impressions - very, very good.  But not nearly as good as the DXIO and the TeraDak DC-30W (3300uf caps).  Very strange - does not like the Jitterbugs - wouldn't even get recognized for installation with them.  Removed then installed fine.

Listening - the sound was smooth and sweet - good air and detail.  But not in the same league as the DXIO/DC-30W/JB in the transparency and imaging department.  But better then the Breeze/Cerious - which is saying a lot.

Will let her settle in for a day then try the TeraDak X1 that I recapped.

Oh and when I added the JBs back after install, it worked, sounded pretty veiled.  Like a U12 - from what I'm used to with the DXIO a let down for sure.  But easy enough to remove those fellows.  Already missing that damn DXIO - so darn addicting.  
tongue_smile.gif

Will give the PUC2 a day or so to see if the magic is there, while I recap the DXIO's big TeraDak DC-30w with Pannie FR's.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #3,384 of 3,700
Does the Breeze DU-U8 use the same driver as the Gustard U12?  That'd make setup and comparisons a lot easier.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #3,385 of 3,700
I had to order one of those Itona High Speed USB Isolators. NOT the industrial version since there is no audible increase of performance, only for applications non audio related. 

Would love to test this device :D

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #3,386 of 3,700
Intona usb Isolator - worth a try.  Did you give the Regen a try?  It really needs a good LPS to deliver - I had mixed results - sounds amazing on my office system.  But on the main system it actually made things sound worse with the Hydra Z.

I did not try the regen. Too expensive considering the lps and i really think galvanic isolation should make a big difference. Get rid of common noise is the idea. The differential noise can be handled by the JBs and the breeze very well.

And the combination of JBs and Wyrd is already excellent, so i did not see the point. My source is really close to king-of-audio-show quality, the kind of sound that would cost over 10k.

Hi-speed usb (480 mebabits/s) galvanically isolated is a breaktrough and 250 usd is a raisonable amount for this. We are starting to read very positive feedback.

I could decide also to assemble my own usb to i2s converter WITH galvanic isolation on the i2s output, which is also a great idea. Their are at least 2 diy boards with this feature available.

However, i think that it would be beneficial to have BOTH: galvanic isolation between the computer and the ddc, and between the ddc and i2s dac.

I insist on using i2s because that is the best input on the audio-gd M7. And jitter can go lower with in theory through it. Might need to replace flat cable used to transport i2s inside the M7 by cat7 shielded cable to have the maximum effect. That tweek might at this point already make a difference. This piece of wire is on sockets so the change is easilly reversible. Just need to assemble a wire with the proper connectors and length.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3,388 of 3,700
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #3,389 of 3,700

Btw, did you guys heard of, and maybe demoed Acoustic Revive RR-777 / RR-888

https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/roomtuning/rr-77.html

Cool, but...

Schumann Resonance: Revisited
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/schumann2/revisited.html

Facts & Fiction of the Schumann Resonance
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4352

Gregg Braden Debunked
https://vimeo.com/8517545

There's a lot more going on, scientiffically,,,,, It's not wise to tamper with frequency range / settings.
Components have arrived so will build mine this evening. Report back later.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_cambio06a.htm

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,390 of 3,700
Great. If you like it, i will order it.

I stand corrected. GET THE INDUSTRIAL VERSION... I talked with Itona for a while and realized the industrial version does have it's advantages. The FPGA chips inside have tighter timing at room temperature and would have better compatibility with audio related projects. So I did change my order to the Industrial version. ALSO, custom ordered the LED to not FLASH at high speed but stay steady. That would drive me bonkers. :D

the Itona has surpassed the regen in all categories, even the regen modded with the neutrino star clock mod. 
The Itona has so many more advantages than the Regen. As many stated the regen didn't do anything or much in their system, they claimed the Itona actually did work!
So in my case the Regen did nothing, if not made things worse. The Itona shouldn't make things worse yet improve things. We shall see!... or I mean... Hear!

-Tim

p.s. part of the email Daniel sent me said " but please consider that most customers decide for the Industrial Version as the built-in industrial-grade FPGAs have better timing margin at room temperature which may lead to better overall-compatibility.

Best regards,
Daniel"

so, it may not be better audio quality, but better compatibility. Seems to be better for devices that don't need power since it has it's limitations. 300mv on the low end, and 500mv with 50mv drop to 450mv in most condtions.  But all the xmos boards should be fine. At first there were some glitches with the early xmos boards but they fixed everything in their firmware updates. They are reliable now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back