Gustard H16
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #166 of 193
I use it strictly as a preamp for the reason @wimawow mentions. It's OK but not spectacular sonically--you get what you pay for. The remote works well but needs a direct line of sight to the receiver to work. My main objective in getting it was to give my older & better amp/preamps a rest from 12 hr/day ... 7 days/week preamp duty, and it meets that objective.

I had something like 8 other amps when I got this, so I really never intended to use it for headphones anyway.

Tried it once on headphones and thought it sounded pretty good that way.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #168 of 193
I just got this little amp for office use, I'm running it balance through an topping dx7 pro. The headphones are a pair of Utopias, with the amp in mid gain I get good volume at 18 and this is with a -5.5 db gain in windows. Overall the amp is clean, dynamic and has loads of power, I'm really impressed, especially at around 200 USD I paid for it.

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #169 of 193
What’s a good balanced DAC (besides X16, ideally under $400) that matches well with the H16? I might be purchasing a silver unit soon, so I’d love to match colors but isn’t totally necessary. Current options I’ve seen are Schiit Modius, Topping E50, and Topping E70. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #170 of 193
Thanks everyone for the reviews on this H16 amp.
I've been looking for a unit in this size and price range, and looks like this H16 will fit perfectly.
I have Hifiman HE1000's and Kaushama gave it a thumbs up with this model so that says alot.

Cheers! Robert

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #171 of 193
Thanks everyone for the reviews on this H16 amp.
I've been looking for a unit in this size and price range, and looks like this H16 will fit perfectly.
I have Hifiman HE1000's and Kaushama gave it a thumbs up with this model so that says alot.

Cheers! Robert
I have driven a hek v2 out of mine and was getting good volume with the volume at 45 on mid gain, so if you have a stealth or SE its going to be even easier to drive. Great little amp, can drive almost any headphone out there and you can find it really cheap these days

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #172 of 193
What’s a good balanced DAC (besides X16, ideally under $400) that matches well with the H16? I might be purchasing a silver unit soon, so I’d love to match colors but isn’t totally necessary. Current options I’ve seen are Schiit Modius, Topping E50, and Topping E70. Thanks!
Hi User 404. I got the Earmen Tradutto at Moon Audio on sale for $499 ($reg $799) and last I checked they still had some. It’s an excellent compact fully balanced DAC with Bluetooth 5.1 and MQA. Very open sounding with a bit of bass emphasis which sounds good on my planar headphones. The only caveat is its balanced output is a 4.4 mm so you need the appropriate cable. Good luck.
Robert

Sep 8, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #173 of 193
Planning on getting this along with the X16 DAC. I am currently using topping L30/E30 stack. I was looking for a balanced dac/amp setup and this popped up. Amp output seems better than A30pro. What do you guys think?

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #174 of 193
Planning on getting this along with the X16 DAC. I am currently using topping L30/E30 stack. I was looking for a balanced dac/amp setup and this popped up. Amp output seems better than A30pro. What do you guys think?
There a particular reason for upgrading your topping stack? and what do you exactly mean by amp output seems better than A30pro? A30pro should be more powerful than the H16 with lower impedance headphones (5500mw vs 3500mw at 32 ohm for example)

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #175 of 193
There a particular reason for upgrading your topping stack? and what do you exactly mean by amp output seems better than A30pro? A30pro should be more powerful than the H16 with lower impedance headphones (5500mw vs 3500mw at 32 ohm for example)
I just need balance output so I can test out some of my gear with it. You are right about the power output. I guess I didn't read carefully when checking the specs. (Saw 566mW @ 600 ohms and read it as 5660mW @ 600 ohms..😅 and thought that the power output is freakin insane haha)

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #176 of 193
Read about APOS and failure rate something somewhere in this thread, so how's everyone's H16 holding up? Planning to get this as it has XLR I/O for easier integration if needed. It will getting a lot of play time as it will be setup in a retail space lounge area and will be paired with a tucked-away D10 dac.

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #178 of 193
If anyone is interested, I listed my H16 F.S. I have too many amps and one more on the way...something had to give.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/gustard-h16-headphone-amp-preamp-in-like-new-condition.55836/
Hah! I already knew because I've been watching it.... I'm moving DACs and amps around, just replaced my aging Yulong D100 DAC/amp with a Questyle CMA-400i and happy with it so far -- I do love that the H16 covers 6.35mm as well as 4-pin XLR and 4.4mm balanced -- but I'm a little confused about a 3.5mm balanced output? Is that right? I actually have a few 2.5mm balanced cables (for Meze 109 Pro and Philips Fidelio X3), but who the heck uses 3.5mm balanced? :sweat_smile:

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #179 of 193
I'm a little confused about a 3.5mm balanced output? Is that right?
No. In fact, there's no such thing as a 3.5mm balanced output on any amp, as far as I know.

Maybe the confusion arises because balanced headphone cables (that have either 1 x 4-pin XLR jack or 1 x 4.4 pentacon jack on amp end of the cable) can have a range of jack types that plug into each earcup. I've had balanced cables that use dual 2.5mm jacks (hifiman); dual 3.5mm jacks (Final Audio); and dual mini-XLR jacks (Audeze, ZMF). But on the amp side, they all end in a 4-pin XLR or 4.4mm pentacon.

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #180 of 193
No. In fact, there's no such thing as a 3.5mm balanced output on any amp, as far as I know.

Maybe the confusion arises because balanced headphone cables (that have either 1 x 4-pin XLR jack or 1 x 4.4 pentacon jack on amp end of the cable) can have a range of jack types that plug into each earcup. I've had balanced cables that use dual 2.5mm jacks (hifiman); dual 3.5mm jacks (Final Audio); and dual mini-XLR jacks (Audeze, ZMF). But on the amp side, they all end in a 4-pin XLR or 4.4mm pentacon.
That's why I was scratching my head -- but I've seen multiple places with pictures clearing showing balanced on that 3.5mm output and spec it as 3.5mm balanced, including Shenzen Audio:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 6.41.12 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back