Gustard H16
May 4, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #136 of 193
So it looks like Gustard H16's advertised power output is only achievable with 7V input from the DAC. Matching DAC X16 have only 4V out with XLR connection so you get quite a bit less power. Also the high gain setting is only +8db.

So in practice this amp is not very powerful or loud.

From the subjective side of things, it still has the headroom and beefy psu so you may get the ''benefits'' of high power still. It doesn't clip when you max out the gain and volume.

May 4, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #137 of 193
So in practice this amp is not very powerful or loud.
I must have lucked out and got some freak unit when I bought it, then, because even with Atticus and Arya v3 the H16 is plenty loud at 20 on low gain (with DAC and Windows volume maxed).

May 4, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #138 of 193
I must have lucked out and got some freak unit when I bought it, then, because even with Atticus and Arya v3 the H16 is plenty loud at 20 on low gain (with DAC and Windows volume maxed).
Given that the Atticus is the same basic driver as my Aeolus (for which I require high gain and a volume range of 35-50 for sufficient volume) and I believe the Arya is significantly harder to drive, either your unit is indeed an outlier or you must like singers and musicians to whisper in your ear. I even listen to my FiiO FH9 IEM (18 ohms, 108 dB sensitivity) at a higher volume on the H16, low gain but volume at 40-50. (The volume on my source, iPad or Samsung tablet, and X16 DAC, is also maxed.)

May 4, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #139 of 193
Whats your DAC? It might be able to output 7v

May 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #140 of 193
May 9, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #141 of 193
My dream stack! I also have the A90 and Aune S7 Pro, and I can say that the H16 has less driving power than the other two. It is definitely more musical than the A90 for sure, so I am gonna keep it. I don't need humungous power anyway as I listen to iems mostly.
IMG_20220505_195634.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #143 of 193
Could you pls compare the h16 with the aune s7 pro too?
S7 Pro's footprint is significantly bigger than the H16's. Dimension-wise, H16 is almost petite by comparison. Both have a satisfying heft; A90 is lighter than both.

S7 Pro is warm-ish, analogue sounding, and very musical. If it were a DAC, it would be very close to R2R. For the record, I use both amps with the X26 Pro, using the Topping XLR inter-connects.

Bass slam is outstanding on the S7 Pro, though the H16 is not far off. S7 Pro has a more expansive sound too imo - probably its internals (capacitors etc.) contribute to that effect.

I would say the H16 is slightly more resolving, but neither is analytical by any means. Both are non-fatiguing, and I can listen to them for hours.

While I found the Gustard very iem friendly, I wouldn't use the Aune for the same purpose, as it's more suited/ ideal for headphone listening, especially those hps needing good power to sound good. My AT R70x (470 ohms) sounds awesome with S7 Pro, but the Aune's Low and High gain is somewhat extreme and can blow iem drivers and ear-drums if not handled carefully. Note that S7 Pro doesn't come with a remote, the H16 does, if that matters to you.

I feel S7 Pro has more power than the Gustard, specs on paper notwithstanding. Both very good amps: you won't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #144 of 193
I will need to purchase an adapter for 4.4 mode, but to be honest the only wired IEM I currently own is the Moondrop Aria.

When I tried them out on the IEMagni it didn't really sound much different than my iPhone Lightning to 3.5mm dongle, thus I don't think they scale as much.

I can try them out anyway though in 4.4 mode. Will report back once I have.

So far from testing in 3.5mm bal with the default gain setting mine shipped with (medium according to ASR) I hear some hiss. I have volume at 1/100 because its quite loud already. I can maybe stretch to 3/100 but it's quite sensitive, suspect we'd have to flip the H16 to the back to adjust gain to low. Pretty sure ASR wrote that the H16 pretty audible hiss/hum for IEMs as well. Link here.

It sounds like a slightly quieter version of this constantly on top of my music, still remains when music is paused too, also it's somewhat channel imbalanced on my Aria's, I hear mostly the left channel.

Definitely would need to set gain to low, but it would be annoying to have to raise it back to medium (the default gain it shipped with) for my planar cans.

Don't think I'd recommend this amp for IEMs, if you don't need a remote control the A90 has the advantage here with it's gain controls on the front of the device.

21-07-12 03-02-46 5026.jpg
Just saw this post, you aren't supposed to plug unbalanced straight to the 3.5mm PRO, but to the 6.3mm unbalanced port using a converter. With my Moondrop Chu, I found that if I use a short metal converter alone, it hisses and distorts in the right channel, but if I attach a long 3.5mm male to female cable , the hiss and distortion is gone!

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #146 of 193
How far away can the remote be used? Does the IR receiver allow the remote to be used from an angle, or does it have to be pointed straight at the receiver?

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #148 of 193
Once I get it in I'll post some impressions here.

I'm a tube amp fanatic, but I wanted to take a stab on this

Did you get the H16 in the end? If so did it need time to sound good. Do you listen to it often or do the tubes still rule? Any impressions for fellow tube fanatics? Thanks....

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #149 of 193
Did you get the H16 in the end? If so did it need time to sound good. Do you listen to it often or do the tubes still rule? Any impressions for fellow tube fanatics? Thanks....
It's actually getting sent back to China right now, because they use cheap relays to switch the volume, one of them went bad.

As far as sound quality goes, it's a very warm amp, if you're into that.
Technicals are acceptable.

Amp is nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back