GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 3, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #4,576 of 5,552
Jesus, I wasn't expecting it to cost so much just to send 4 little op amps to Australia. Here's hoping the new batch won't have any issues. $49.25 is.....fine......once, if it happens again I don't think i'll be sending them back. Was it that expensive for anyone else?

I was ask sent back the faulty V5 with the cheapest means possible, even seafreight.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #4,578 of 5,552
Was finally able to give my recently acquired HE-500's(Vegan+regrill) some decent head time and I have got to say that it + my H10 (full V5) is a really lovely combo (to my inexperienced ears at least 
tongue.gif
. . .)

Can say that the V5's with this combo (and with my HE-400's but I do enjoy the HE-500's more) really do leave me quite sated in regards to my audio needs.

I do wonder though if I am just lucky with my V5's or if my H10 is just treating them kindly as I do have a good 250-300+ hours of run time with the V5's and have run into no problems.*knocks on wood*

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4,579 of 5,552
  Was finally able to give my recently acquired HE-500's(Vegan+regrill) some decent head time and I have got to say that it + my H10 (full V5) is a really lovely combo (to my inexperienced ears at least 
tongue.gif
. . .)

Can say that the V5's with this combo (and with my HE-400's but I do enjoy the HE-500's more) really do leave me quite sated in regards to my audio needs.

I do wonder though if I am just lucky with my V5's or if my H10 is just treating them kindly as I do have a good 250-300+ hours of run time with the V5's and have run into no problems.*knocks on wood*

Sounds like a great pairing! Seems that all of Hifimans offerings pair extremely well with the H10. Guessing it's due to the laid back and warm nature of the H10. Well I hope they don't fail on you man cause no one should have to deal with faulty equipment after paying $200. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #4,580 of 5,552
- Do you think H10 is good value? How much did you pay for yours?
I want to say too good, but I'm afraid it'll make the next generation Gustard machine not so affordable like current ones. I paid 290 USD for H10.

- Where did you purchase your H10?
Taobao

- Did you know your H10 has 1-year warranty regardless of where you bought it? Do you think 1-year warranty is enough?
I know and it's enough for the current pricing

Dear mmlogic,
  Thank you for your very helpful comments !

Has anyone else bought their H10 from Taobao ?  Had a quick look and it looks like the H10 is $257 plus shipping on Taobao. link: https://item.taobao.com/item.html?id=39116330458

Thanks! 

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #4,581 of 5,552
Mar 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #4,582 of 5,552

anybody interested, I have my H10 posted in the classifieds. Its barely used good as new. The main advantage is you don't have to wait for burn in. Excellent amp. If not only for this disease of upgraditis, I won't sell it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/800604/mint-gustard-h10-slightly-used-in-original-box

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #4,583 of 5,552
I got mine on Taobao while I lived in China. No problem other than a crappy power cord.

Thank you fritobugger,
  Do you remember which seller ?  Everything okay with buying on Taobao ?

Thanks! 

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,584 of 5,552
Thank you fritobugger,
  Do you remember which seller ?  Everything okay with buying on Taobao ?

Thanks! 

I don't recall the seller. I might be able to look it up.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #4,585 of 5,552
I don't recall the seller. I might be able to look it up.

Thank you fritobugger !

I was looking into building an amp but, if I can get the H10 from TaoBao for less than $300, it would be difficult to match for that price DIY.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #4,586 of 5,552
Quote:
tongue.gif
. . .)

Do you find the difference between the H10 + HE500 with the full V5's is worth it compared to just the H10 without the V5's (ofc completely subjective as to what's worth it but in your honest opinion)?

I'm quite satisfied with my combo without but interested maybe in the future in case I'm looking for a little more from the sound without the V5's.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #4,587 of 5,552
Quote:

Do you find the difference between the H10 + HE500 with the full V5's is worth it compared to just the H10 without the V5's (ofc completely subjective as to what's worth it but in your honest opinion)?

I'm quite satisfied with my combo without but interested maybe in the future in case I'm looking for a little more from the sound without the V5's.

The v5 singles make a vast and very apparent increase in audio quality.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #4,590 of 5,552
I can vouch for this too. Singles are a must.

I don't think any of them are a "must". Having gone through at least 6 sets of alternate opamps.. both single and double. Also having tried a full set of the Burson V4 and V5 opamps, I can say that some are better to my ears than others. I can also relate my experience when first hearing the H10 stock. It was quite wonderful.
My point is that many people not afflicted by the Head-Fi way of never quite being happy would likely be quite satisfied with the H10 stock. Opamps change nuances only! 
I have found that the differences are there when comparing opamps, but unlike some people I do not think that they are so pronounced that they would either make the amp into something great for the person that does not like it, nor turn it into something bad if they do like it.
For a person who has just bought an H10, I really suggest that you listen to it. If you buy into break in on a solid state amp, put the requisite hours on it. If you really like it, as I did, call it good and enjoy. If you do not like it, don't waste time and money with rolling opamps. They will not likely change your mind.

So what is worth it? I got the full set of V4s when they ran a special for H10 owners. Then got the whole set of V5s for $120. (IIRC) this makes it easier to swallow. At the current price for a full set, I would think long and hard about it. Still quite a bit of money to spend on a sub $300 amplifier if just buying the singles. So what do you value? How discriminating are your ears?  Your call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back