GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jun 12, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #2,401 of 5,552
Yes, I also liked this pairing. The Ether loves power and paired well to the 6 watts of the lyr. I rolled some tubes in the lyr and got good results. I could be happy with either amp but the h10 is less expensive with no tube hassles. 

Very nice. Thanks for sharing Matt.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,405 of 5,552
$20? How many are there? Two? Pretty cheap compared to top tier tube rolling. For example, I sold off some of my Lyr tubes to buy a Mainline kit for 1K.

I'm looking a pair of 10uF Mundorf EVO silver / gold / oil caps @ $100ea and who knows how much of an improvement I might garner out of this amp. *shrug*.  But we all have our limits... I just can't justify the supreme's at $277ea.

So $20 is pretty cheap! :) 

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,406 of 5,552
Ok, I wonder if I'm really 'throwing cat amongst pigeons' by causing an information overload (or even if it's about the same type of op-amps)! But here's a link containing some quite extensive op-amp reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2

What's of particular interest is how the writer believes that the different grades, of the same op-amp, matter as much as the different models.

EDIT: 
blink.gif
 Whoops! I read this review some time ago; I forgot that it's for op-amps in a DAC output stage. So, I really don't know if it has any relevance for amplifier op-amp selection. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,407 of 5,552
Why not try some OPA627s?

Great opamp but may add a little too much warmth to an already cozy amp, but don't let my .02$ stop you..swap away swabbie!

Actually on second thought, teamed up with a couple of very neutral LM4562's it may sound sublime

I hear a lot of good things about OPA627 but, I'm thinking about trying some discrete Dexas & Bursons as well.

I also contemplated the discrete Bursons but once again they run on the sunny side of neutral. Tremendous opamps though (quite possibly the best) just be sure the gear they will be used in doesn't mind the added coziness they tag along. A friend of mine who runs a small recording studio in my area absolutely swears by them in the right gear.

FYI Parts Connexion (north of the border) has a 30 day refund policy on their Burson opamps if your interested (nice cuz they're pricey). I'm in no way affiliated with Parts Connexion but can give them a recommendation as I've had nothing but great experiences with them over the years.

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #2,409 of 5,552
Great opamp but may add a little too much warmth to an already cozy amp, but don't let my .02$ stop you..swap away swabbie!

Actually on second thought, teamed up with a couple of very neutral LM4562's it may sound sublime

I also contemplated the discrete Bursons but once again they run on the sunny side of neutral. Tremendous opamps though (quite possibly the best) just be sure the gear they will be used in doesn't mind the added coziness they tag along. A friend of mine who runs a small recording studio in my area absolutely swears by them in the right gear.

FYI Parts Connexion (north of the border) has a 30 day refund policy on their Burson opamps if your interested (nice cuz they're pricey). I'm in no way affiliated with Parts Connexion but can give them a recommendation as I've had nothing but great experiences with them over the years.

Great, thanks for the excellent advice!  I happen to have a couple of 4562s on hand in addition to 627s so I will give those a shot as well.  I've been eyeing the Dexa special editions and the Bursons at Parts Connexion already.  I think they're having a sale 'till the end of the month so I'll try to pick them up before then.  Can never have enough opamps on hand.  
etysmile.gif
  I'm working on a major overhaul (recapping of the power supply, and analog output stage, and socketing the op-amps as well as all 4 DIP-28 digital chips - should make for some nice digital filter/dac chip/digital receiver rolling as well) of my Adcom GDA-600 and will be doing some op-amp rolling with that as well once I get it fully socketed.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,410 of 5,552
Hi,

Do you have the H10? Can you compare with 339?

Yes, I have both. 

I am not at home atm to make comparisons, but I have had the opportunity to listen to both fairly extensively to form an opinion.

The 339 conveys more weight and heft across the board, from strings to bass, which means it has more slam and wider dynamics.  The H10, while slightly on the warm side of neutral, combines its smooth tonality with a detailed and tight presentation that solid state is renowned for. For most recordings, I prefer the HD 650 out of the 339 and the HD 800 out of the H10 (at least, so far). The HE-500 does well, surprisingly, on both and for different reasons. The 339 gives them a more 3D and holographic presentation that works very well for acoustics, whereas the H10 drives them with the tightest of authority on electronic music. 

Please note that I am forced to nitpick here. The HD 650s sounds fantastic on the H10 too, and the HD 800 kills on the 339 during intimate, chamber music, lounge-like recordings. Moreover, I am well aware that my experience is quite limited with the HD 800 and other amps as I am sure others in the same price range would surpass both amps (Valhalla 2 comes to mind as a "budget" solution that I hope to try with the HD 800s soonish). It just really depends on what you are going for. Also, the H 10 has plenty of slam and dynamics, but just as not as much as 339, which hits extremely hard. The H10 is also less punchy and aggressive than the Lyr, which I also owned for a couple years. With the 339, I am constantly involved in the music, whereas the H10 allows me to step back and relax a bit, which is why both get about equal "head-time" from my thus far.

My apologies for the cursory response here, but I hope this helps make you get a general idea. Basically, what comes through on this thread is that the H10 makes for a magnificent pairing with planars and does high impedance headphones very well, especially for its price-point. I fully endorse this conclusion; Gustard has made an outstanding amplifier available at an affordable price that can drive most headphones, especially planars and AKGs, with tremendous authority. The 339 is made for a different purpose, I think, and it is really a quintessential OTL tube amp that is built like a tank, and is meticulously and cleanly executed, especially for ITS price-point, thriving especially with  high impedance dynamic drivers such as the HD 650/600 and Beyers. 

Best wishes!

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,411 of 5,552
  I have a pair of AD797AN's pinch hitting for the OPA134PA's and I couldn't be happier. There was a noticeable veil lifted IMHO. Haven't been bothered to replace the NE5535's yet as it just sounds sooo good with the 797's in'er. Some day I'll try a pair of LM4562NA's back there though, or maybe OPA2604AP's if the 4562's don't work well in the circuit.

Hi,

So a little opamp rolling interest me as it's such a simple and relatively cheap thing to do. Plus it has given me good results in the past. When I first heard the H10 I thought it was really nice but could do with just a liiiiittle more air/top emphasis. You swapped the two 123PA's for 797AN's only right? Still happy with that or made another ''jump'' in performance with new combinations? 

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #2,412 of 5,552
Finally pulled the trigger on the H10, found it over on Massdrop, it's gonna take quite a while to ship though.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Op-amp swabbing seems pretty interesting I'll be looking into it after the H10 arrives.

Good listening.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,413 of 5,552
Hi,

So a little opamp rolling interest me as it's such a simple and relatively cheap thing to do. Plus it has given me good results in the past. When I first heard the H10 I thought it was really nice but could do with just a liiiiittle more air/top emphasis. You swapped the two 123PA's for 797AN's only right? Still happy with that or made another ''jump'' in performance with new combinations? 

Yep, still happy with the 797 & 5532 combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back