GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Mar 29, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #961 of 5,553
One nice thing about the H10 is how much room there is for rolling opamps (even just the fact I can stick my big hands in there without issue). I swapped out the TI 5532s in the back for, well, another set of 5532s. Got some '87 Signetics NE5532AN in there now. Both those and the '82 Philips NE5532s I picked up seem to ever so slightly improve the tone over the TI 5532s, but the Signetics seemed to have better micro-detail and clarity over the Philips. I've read many accounts of people swearing by some of the older 5532 or newer models from various manufacturers.

You may need an extender of sorts, but there's more than enough room that the OPA134s could easily be swapped out for even a discrete opamp. I'm far from an electrical engineer, so I can't speak for the H10's design and how it will handle other types of opamps.

I suppose the fuse could be swapped out too as a cheap experiment, if you believe that makes a difference in sound.

Nice bang for the buck amp if you can score one around $300-350, especially for planars. Even works well with the HD650, though I prefer something like the Valhalla 2 for it ultimately.

I'm curious, though, does anyone else have an H10 that hums a bit if you put your ear up to it? Very subtle...took me a while to notice. Doesn't seem to impact performance.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #962 of 5,553
Very impressed with the X12. A musical Sabre done right for that price?! Color me happy! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #963 of 5,553
  One nice thing about the H10 is how much room there is for rolling opamps (even just the fact I can stick my big hands in there without issue). I swapped out the TI 5532s in the back for, well, another set of 5532s. Got some '87 Signetics NE5532AN in there now. Both those and the '82 Philips NE5532s I picked up seem to ever so slightly improve the tone over the TI 5532s, but the Signetics seemed to have better micro-detail and clarity over the Philips. I've read many accounts of people swearing by some of the older 5532 or newer models from various manufacturers.

You may need an extender of sorts, but there's more than enough room that the OPA134s could easily be swapped out for even a discrete opamp. I'm far from an electrical engineer, so I can't speak for the H10's design and how it will handle other types of opamps.

I suppose the fuse could be swapped out too as a cheap experiment, if you believe that makes a difference in sound.

Nice bang for the buck amp if you can score one around $300-350, especially for planars. Even works well with the HD650, though I prefer something like the Valhalla 2 for it ultimately.

I'm curious, though, does anyone else have an H10 that hums a bit if you put your ear up to it? Very subtle...took me a while to notice. Doesn't seem to impact performance.

Great, finally some opamp rolling. I re-posted one Korean guys results further back in the thread.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #964 of 5,553
I must have overlooked that.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #966 of 5,553
  Very impressed with the X12. A musical Sabre done right for that price?! Color me happy! 
biggrin.gif

Has anyone here heard the Twisted Pair Buffalo III DAC? Just wondering how it compares with the X12? I realize it is a DIY endeavor, but would like very much if anyone has heard the 2 DAC's.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #967 of 5,553
I sorta went overboard.
Going to replace my old D100 Mk.1 with a X12 - ordered it yesterday.

Got a U12 already, H10 coming from massdrop, and picked up an HE-400i.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #969 of 5,553
  I sorta went overboard.
Going to replace my old D100 Mk.1 with a X12 - ordered it yesterday.

Got a U12 already, H10 coming from massdrop, and picked up an HE-400i.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Attaboy!  This combination, at its combined price, is what I call "stupid good."  There is genuine synergy and they practically fornicate with the Hifiman phones.  I highly recommend doing the grill and liner mods on the HE-400i. I did them on both the 400i and the 560's and they put the combo over the top for me. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #970 of 5,553
At least the grill mod for sure :) easy and reversible!

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #971 of 5,553
Gratz! Should be real good
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks - H10 showed up today along with a Niles AXP1, and a IP-managed AC power switch/pdu, which I am using to manage inputs and power of my stack since the power switches are a pain to get to when shelved.
I really only use my PC, so it makes it really easy to manage.

So far the amp has exceeded my expectations for the massdrop price tag when used with my HD 650s, if it gets better with age - I'm probably done upgrading for a while.
Anything more than 0 gain was too much for what I currently own.
I will probably knock the gain down on my M-Stage and commit it to IEM duty.

Hope the X12 shows up soon, will keep using my D100 til it does.

Update:  I think i just fell in love my with HD 650s all over again.  This amp is something else.

Attaboy!  This combination, at its combined price, is what I call "stupid good."  There is genuine synergy and they practically fornicate with the Hifiman phones.  I highly recommend doing the grill and liner mods on the HE-400i. I did them on both the 400i and the 560's and they put the combo over the top for me. 

At least the grill mod for sure
smily_headphones1.gif
easy and reversible!

I will definitely be trying the grill mod out, I gotta do my reading on these, but thanks for the heads up on how much it improved the sounds for you guys.
I have been looking for planars for a while, but the price has always put me off.  I felt the weight of the HE-500s would be too much considering how much time i spend in front of a computer at home/work with music on.
It's been a while since i've upgraded anything so this should be fun.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #972 of 5,553
Thanks - H10 showed up today along with a Niles AXP1, and a IP-managed AC power switch/pdu, which I am using to manage inputs and power of my stack since the power switches are a pain to get to when shelved.
I really only use my PC, so it makes it really easy to manage.

So far the amp has exceeded my expectations for the massdrop price tag when used with my HD 650s, if it gets better with age - I'm probably done upgrading for a while.
Anything more than +8 db on the dip switches was too much for what I currently own.
I will probably knock the gain down on my M-Stage and commit it to IEM duty.

Hope the X12 shows up soon, will keep using my D100 til it does.

I will definitely be trying the grill mod out, I gotta do my reading on these, but thanks for the heads up on how much it improved the sounds for you guys.
I have been looking for planars for a while, but the price has always put me off.  I felt the weight of the HE-500s would be too much considering how much time i spend in front of a computer at home/work with music on.
It's been a while since i've upgraded anything so this should be fun.

Did yours already arrive from MassDrop? Did they give you a tracking number?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #973 of 5,553
Did yours already arrive from MassDrop? Did they give you a tracking number?

Yes to both.
Received an e-mail yesterday saying that it was shipped along with a tracking number, received it today.

Keep in mind I live an hour or two from their distribution warehouse.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #974 of 5,553
Yes to both.
Received an e-mail yesterday saying that it was shipped along with a tracking number, received it today.

Keep in mind I live an hour or two from their distribution warehouse.

Oh okay. Well that makes sense. I am glad you are enjoying the amp.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #975 of 5,553
  Attaboy!  This combination, at its combined price, is what I call "stupid good."  There is genuine synergy and they practically fornicate with the Hifiman phones. 

I now have to agree. I've been playing with the LCD-2F and the HE-560 for the past month, and in the last week or so my preference has shifted from the Audeze to the Hifiman. With the HE-560, the drums hit harder, the details are more pronounced, and the vocals remain excellent. Soundstage compared to the LCD is definitely larger, but that's not really a huge concern for me. I love really love the H10+HE-560 pairing, particularly the punchiness of the drums. And keep in mind that they're unmodded—I still want to do the jerg mods (or maybe Bill-P's mods, if he releases them). 

Honestly, I'm not sure why my preferences changed. I've been leaving my setup on all the time, so maybe the H10 just needed some serious burn in and/or warm up? That seems unlikely to me. I switched from spotify extreme to tidal hifi, but that switch seems pretty minimal. Brain burn in then? I dunno. But this combo sounds fantastic to my ears now, where before it sounded a little lean.

The LCD-2F is still a great 'phone, and I probably need to switch back to it for a few solid days of listening to make 100% sure my new impressions aren't going to change yet again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back