GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,097 of 5,552
  Same as Lyr, huh? I had a pleasure to try Lyr at a head-fi meet a month ago, and its volume control was very nice and smooth (and so was its sound - totally impressed me, especially with planars!). My H10 knob is anything but smooth. Confirms my theory about QC issue. Thank you for info, Liu!

My volume knob has a perfectly smooth function.  I would suggest opening her up and see if there is any mechanical binding at the faceplate or at the potentiometer interface.  Since they run a metal rod from front to back for this, a little push or jiggle at the right spot may free this up.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,098 of 5,552
To @stuartmc, @Liu Junyuan - thank you for encouragement. I did open my H10. And do you know what I found?

First of all, issue of binding volume knob (finally found the right word - binding) is likely caused by over-bent top half of the case. Its sides are supposed to be at right angle to the top, and they slide over pieces of aluminium stock that is bolted to front and back panels. Well, that right angle bend is not quite right ... angle. it is over-bent by couple degrees. And it does not fit over aluminium stock anymore by about 1mm. That means that top 'half-case' is grabbing that aluminium stock and squeezing the hell out of it. That likely causes some slight deformation of front plate, and voila - misaligned bearings start to bind. With the top off, there is no binding whatsoever.

I have used one of my woodworking clamps to try bending that half-case back closer to right angle. It did not have MUCH effect - aluminium just snaps back to previous shape, it was likely annealed, bent and then tempered. Still, after reassembly, knob does not bind AS much and is more usable. Probably I should take top off again, apply clamps to it again, and leave it like that for a day, hoping that metal will creep a bit more.

Another interesting detail. Right after delivery of H10 I noticed that if shaken it produced a slightly rattling sound. Now I know why.
angry_face.gif

As I took the top cover off and shook it one more time, a ... small metal hex nut fell into my lap. What? It does not look like it belongs there at all - no nuts are used in assembly, all bolts are threaded into aluminium case, but here we are - a nut, likely just dropped in during assembly. It is a minor miracle that it did not short anything yet. My opinion about assembly quality at Gustard is not too high as of now.

And did I mention aluminium shavings showing up as I removed side bolts, implying that threads in aluminium square stock were cut very imprecisely and bolts were tapping themselves the rest of the way. I heard that metal shavings and electronics do not mix well.

Sitting now, listening to J.S. Bach on my AD900 through H10. Sound is heavenly. But if Gustard is having any hopes of cornering hi-fi market in US, they better get their act together.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,101 of 5,552
To @stuartmc
, @Liu Junyuan
- thank you for encouragement. I did open my H10. And do you know what I found?

First of all, issue of binding volume knob (finally found the right word - binding) is likely caused by over-bent top half of the case. Its sides are supposed to be at right angle to the top, and they slide over pieces of aluminium stock that is bolted to front and back panels. Well, that right angle bend is not quite right ... angle. it is over-bent by couple degrees. And it does not fit over aluminium stock anymore by about 1mm. That means that top 'half-case' is grabbing that aluminium stock and squeezing the hell out of it. That likely causes some slight deformation of front plate, and voila - misaligned bearings start to bind. With the top off, there is no binding whatsoever.

I have used one of my woodworking clamps to try bending that half-case back closer to right angle. It did not have MUCH effect - aluminium just snaps back to previous shape, it was likely annealed, bent and then tempered. Still, after reassembly, knob does not bind AS much and is more usable. Probably I should take top off again, apply clamps to it again, and leave it like that for a day, hoping that metal will creep a bit more.

Another interesting detail. Right after delivery of H10 I noticed that if shaken it produced a slightly rattling sound. Now I know why. :angry_face:

As I took the top cover off and shook it one more time, a ... small metal hex nut fell into my lap. What? It does not look like it belongs there at all - no nuts are used in assembly, all bolts are threaded into aluminium case, but here we are - a nut, likely just dropped in during assembly. It is a minor miracle that it did not short anything yet. My opinion about assembly quality at Gustard is not too high as of now.

And did I mention aluminium shavings showing up as I removed side bolts, implying that threads in aluminium square stock were cut very imprecisely and bolts were tapping themselves the rest of the way. I heard that metal shavings and electronics do not mix well.

Sitting now, listening to J.S. Bach on my AD900 through H10. Sound is heavenly. But if Gustard is having any hopes of cornering hi-fi market in US, they better get their act together.

OMG. You can probably get a replacement from MassDrop.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,102 of 5,552
No reason for OMG, Liu. Ain't that bad. Just some sloppiness on their part. After stretching top half-case for an hour or so it was easier to put back on (still tight), and volume knob is now pretty smooth and easy to turn. Just ran another round of sound comparisons with Precision 1 and another TOTL vintage amp I am restoring now, and there is no comparison - H10 just eliminates the competition, with either high or low impedance headphones.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,103 of 5,552
  No reason for OMG, Liu. Ain't that bad. Just some sloppiness on their part. After stretching top half-case for an hour or so it was easier to put back on (still tight), and volume knob is now pretty smooth and easy to turn. Just ran another round of sound comparisons with Precision 1 and another TOTL vintage amp I am restoring now, and there is no comparison - H10 just eliminates the competition, with either high or low impedance headphones.

and the balanced will be another notch up again ! Great company.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,104 of 5,552
Sounds interesting I might buy one for the office setup

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,105 of 5,552
Hey everyone. The X12 is up on Massdrop. If I didn't just buy another piece of gear, I would be all over this.

Edit: Linky https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-dac-x12-usb-version?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20Active%20Product%20Announcement%202015-04-10&mode=guest_open

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,106 of 5,552
You Americans are so lucky to get these awesome drops.

My X12 didn't arrive today. Tracking was looking promising yesterday but for some reason it didn't move so it's still in Helsinki. Most likely will receive it on Monday then.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,107 of 5,552
Hey everyone. The X12 is up on Massdrop.

Thank you, Liu, for heads-up!

Forgive me if it was already discussed on previous 70 pages, but do we have anybody here that owns both Bifrost and X12 and could compare them? Pointer to page number would do if I am beating a dead horse.

I am listening to Chopin Nocturnes today and I am very impressed how much more realistic piano notes sound on Bifrost compared to Modi or HRT MusicStreamer II (all that frontal attack!).

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,108 of 5,552
Stuart owned the Bifrost Uber and made some comments, and conquerator20 said he preferred the x12 to Gungnir. I think this chalks up to a matter of preferences, though, because he was fairly upfront about how he likes Sabre DACs better in the first place.

Bifrost Uber is a great dac. It will most likely be less resolving than X12 since the Gungnir is as well. Where the Schiit gear excels is in natural tonality and timbre--sheer musicality . Apparently, the X12 pulls this off without sacrificing too much of the detail Sabre is known for. While Sabre has been criticized for being harsh or digital, the X12 navigates the precarious razor's edge between the two. If I could, I would have both, but until I actually hear the X12, I am not willing to sell the Gungnir for it because I love Schiit's DACs.

Edit: Yeah, the first Modi was just okay. I think the Modi 2 Uber is more in line with the Bifrost. Chopin is awesome. Do you listen to Debussy? He is one of my favs.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,109 of 5,552
Hey everyone. The X12 is up on Massdrop. If I didn't just buy another piece of gear, I would be all over this.

Edit: Linky https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-dac-x12-usb-version?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Audiophile%20Active%20Product%20Announcement%202015-04-10&mode=guest_open

Hmmm... I was planning to go for a Gungnir, but this seems like a phenomenal deal if it gets down to $450 shipped. Really curious how the X12 compares to the X20, too.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,110 of 5,552
Hmmm... I was planning to go for a Gungnir, but this seems like a phenomenal deal if it gets down to $450 shipped. Really curious how the X12 compares to the X20, too.

It is a tough decision. You would save money with the X12, I suppose. I am curious how the X12 fares against the $1k Matrix X-Sabre to be frank because most of the impressions I have heard make them seem very similar. X 20 is not even out yet so of course no one will know.

Toss a coin maybe?

If the H10 is anything to go by, I really believe the engineer behind Gustard knows what he is doing. I wonder how the two complement one another as well. Since the H10 is slightly dark, some might take the Schiit and Gustard pairing to be too dark, whereas the the X12's Sabre detail might offset the warmth of the H10. To be honest, I love the pairing with my Schiit and am really hoping to get my xlr cable soon to make some finally assessments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back