GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 28, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #5,026 of 5,552
  The thing is they didn't even offer me that option. They just went ahead and sent me the V5i's. needless to say I already sent Dennis an email regarding the issue.

Now with regards to V5i's full boat, I had these burning in for more than 2 days now. I can't exactly remember how the V5's sound so I can't make a detailed comparison between the two, but they do share the same sonic signature although with less refinement. The highs are smoother with the V5's and the lows, a bit more energetic and controlled.

But V5i's are closer to the V5's than they are different. not a baby V5, more like a younger brother, just my 2 cents.

We'll see any changes as these puppies burn in.

Man.. I feel bad for you. I'm pretty sure Dennis will sort things out for you, or at least i'm hoping he does. Kinda low to just replace your product with something of lower value without even getting your consent beforehand. Either way, I hope that you're at least happy with the V5i's and hope to god that it doesn't fail like the v5.

May 28, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #5,027 of 5,552
  Man.. I feel bad for you. I'm pretty sure Dennis will sort things out for you, or at least i'm hoping he does. Kinda low to just replace your product with something of lower value without even getting your consent beforehand. Either way, I hope that you're at least happy with the V5i's and hope to god that it doesn't fail like the v5.

Well if its any consolation its either I get to try the v5i's full boat and get my proper replacements sorted out, or get to keep the v5i's and save a couple $$

Now we need a more comprehensive comparison between the two so I'll know if I'll keep these, let's say if its about 95% of the V5's sound but with a good amount more reliable.

May 31, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #5,028 of 5,552
Just got 4 singles from Burson. Wanted the H10 before to opamp roll, but not practical with my living set-up, so I thought I could apply the opamp rolling to a small and transportable hybrid tube amp inspired by the relentless rolling on this thread before !

See the thread is still going strong !

May 31, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #5,029 of 5,552
  Just got 4 singles from Burson. Wanted the H10 before to opamp roll, but not practical with my living set-up, so I thought I could apply the opamp rolling to a small and transportable hybrid tube amp inspired by the relentless rolling on this thread before !

See the thread is still going strong !

Looks beautiful! 

May 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #5,031 of 5,552
Hi!
I received my V5i's full boat in the post today. Came directly from Hong Kong, I imagine they either all come from there or they were just produced and sent out directly from their warehouse before being sent to Australia.
I'll post a pic as I had some confusion trying to put them in:

Tried using the instructions for the V5's only to realise that the pins are at 90 degrees to the writing, then later I realised that the slight dip in the opamp (meant to help placement) is no longer on the top down view, but on the bottom up.
Anyway long story short, the best way to put them in is to align them so the writing is the exact same direction as the original opamps that you would have just taken out.

First Impression:

Please excuse my poor use of terminology
As many before me I claim not to be an audiophile, I'm just a poor uni student that spends all his available money on electronics. My setup is as follows:
PC ==> O2 E-DAC ==> Gustard H10 ==> HifiMan HE-500's w/ Focus Pads.

I'll detail my thoughts with specific songs:
Poets of the Fall - Temple of Thought  A personal favourite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfVGvY7p1sU
This is my go to song as soon as I have an audio upgrade. The very first thing I noticed was that the harshness in the trebles was gone. Without the opamps I sometimes felt like the upper peak in the trebles was a little too high for my tastes. When the frequencies when particularly high I'd wince a little, it was a bit too much for me, that's been put under control. This was nice to hear.
The next thing I noticed was that the slight midbass hump was gone. Before the lower part of the midrange and the upper bass region sort of melded to produce a very slightly booming. It definitely wasn't significant and the range of frequencies where I heard it was quite small but was occassionally noticeable. That has been completely removed and it sounds much flatter. I think I'll might miss it on some songs but I'm sure in the long run it will sound better.

Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone - I find this really flexes the midrange and trebles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Zce9gmjIA
Again my first impressions of the upper peak in the trebles being put under control is again confirmed. Sounds much better now. Midrange feels a touch more forward than it use to be. Not to Grado standard but it is a welcome addition. I noticed at this point that the sound does not sound anymore "airy" than it used to be. I feel it actually is now slightly more closed in because of the slightly more forward midrange, not that this is a bad thing, as a listener of EDM/Grime/Indie/Deep House I actually like this.

Full Crate x Mar - Nobody Else - I find this really hits all the frequencies of the bass - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7iMTVdiDIM
You'll have to really jump around the middle of the song to feel the bass. I find here the bass is very dynamic and varies greatly and allows the listener to hear a lot of the frequencies in one go in a song without doing a bass test that just drops as low as it can. Here I felt that the bass extended lower than it had, though I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I'd like to say it is but I don't think the Burson's have done much to add/improve the bass beside the midbass hump spoken about above.

Would I say they're worth it for the £90 I paid?
Right now I say "yeah sort of", purely because that's quite a bit to spend on differences where you're not always going to be like "Hell yea!".
In the long run however it is definitely an upgrade worth doing and so I know I personally would eventually take the leap with opamps and so yes, it is worth the money.
Thanks for reading. Happy listening.

P.S. Burson didn't request I post a review or anything, I just felt I read a lot on HeadFi and finally found a time when I can share my thoughts.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #5,032 of 5,552
Since my Single V5's started to melt I've taken them out and am shipping them back to Burson in change of single V5i's. I'm now pairing Opa627's with V5i duals and that's actually quite a good combination. Airy and smooth is keywords for this combination. Bit dissapointed that the V5's has failed on me, but I hope the V5i singles will be at least near the V5's sound.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #5,033 of 5,552
  Since my Single V5's started to melt I've taken them out and am shipping them back to Burson in change of single V5i's. I'm now pairing Opa627's with V5i duals and that's actually quite a good combination. Airy and smooth is keywords for this combination. Bit dissapointed that the V5's has failed on me, but I hope the V5i singles will be at least near the V5's sound.

I'm wondering if you guys got a partial refund for swapping the V5 for V5i? Or what's stopping you from getting a full refund and then buying the V5i with cash to spare. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #5,034 of 5,552
  I'm wondering if you guys got a partial refund for swapping the V5 for V5i? Or what's stopping you from getting a full refund and then buying the V5i with cash to spare. 

I actually got more when swapping my V5 duals with Burson. I got 4 V5i duals and the heatsink. I think that's $10-12 more than the V5 duals themselves. As I bought the H10 full boat package I got a discount the first time around, so don't think I'm gonna ask for more this time, as I will break even in value I think anyway.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #5,037 of 5,552

The Sparkos Labs SS3602 duals arrived today. They are far from burned-in but I'm really impressed with how they sound (and I'm actually able to close the lid of my PB2 portable amp). The HD800 isn't having any "compatibility" problems. My first (premature) impression is that they are a little bit rolled off in the treble, compared to the well-seasoned Burson V5.  More time is needed.  For sure, they are competitive with the Burson V5.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #5,038 of 5,552

The Sparkos Labs SS3206 duals arrived today. They are far from burned-in but I'm really impressed with how they sound (and I'm actually able to close the lid of my PB2 portable amp). The HD800 isn't having any "compatibility" problems. My first (premature) impression is that they are a little bit rolled off in the treble, compared to the well-seasoned Burson V5.  More time is needed.  For sure, they are competitive with the Burson V5.

I use them in my Little Dot 1+ so my sound impressions are different it seems. I felt the Burson V5 to be a bit darker and a bit closed in sounding, although very detailed in the mid to low. The Sparkos have a beautiful open and dynamic sound and are brighter sounding on my Little Dot.​

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #5,039 of 5,552

The Sparkos Labs SS3206 duals arrived today. They are far from burned-in but I'm really impressed with how they sound (and I'm actually able to close the lid of my PB2 portable amp). The HD800 isn't having any "compatibility" problems. My first (premature) impression is that they are a little bit rolled off in the treble, compared to the well-seasoned Burson V5.  More time is needed.  For sure, they are competitive with the Burson V5.

@zilch0md I had the same initial impressions. Bursons to me had the nice sparkly treble which make the sparkos sound rolled off in comparison. but the overall presentation was a lot more organic and balanced. So i don't actually miss the sparkly highs anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back