GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
May 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5,011 of 5,552
I'm gonna try the V5i duals in my H10 tomorrow. Got them in today. They're shipping from Hong Kong, so I'll guess they're made with the production partner they've got there.

They will be tested together with my V5 singles that's still working. I got 4 duals as a replacement for the V5 duals. I'm gonna use the other two in a DAC I got. I also got the heatsink to mount on the V5 singles..

May 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #5,012 of 5,552

Sorry to put a fine point on it but Burson now has these, the V5i-singles. You are talkng about the V5 with the tall red heatsink, right? 

Yes, the red one

Yes, I was talking about adding small heatsinks to these original, red plastic, V5 cases (which are more like heat traps than heat sinks):

Photo by monoxyde1234

Mike

May 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #5,013 of 5,552
I'm not a Gustard H10 user but I use a EE Minimax Plus and come to this thread to get some information on op-amp rolling as well. You guys aren't the only ones with issues with the Burson's melting. When I discovered that you guys were facing the same issues as myself, I started wondering if it's just a design problem with the Bursons and I have every reason to believe so. I went through 4 replacements, with my last replacement lasting me all but 1 Minute before popping and crackling in one channel. Prompting me to pop the lid to find yet another melted opamp. I eventually got a full refund (Credit to Burson for offering me that option) on my Burson opamps and put that money towards the Sparkos Labs. These just came in the mail today and let me tell you, they just sound wonderful.

Compared to the Bursons, the Sparkos 3602 are more balanced, with a lot more natural presentation of the music. Passages of music i'm familiar with for crossing the line into the hot spot of harshness is now completely relaxed. I found myself anticipating the same hardness in the music, causing my ears to reel back a little but when hit with the immaculate sound the 3602's provide, my brain can't help but feel a little bit confused as I slowly adjust to this new sound, putting a smile on my face. The Sparko's are a lot smoother than the Burson V5's. Instruments and voices of the Sparkos have a lot more solidity about them compared to the Bursons. These are my early impressions of the Sparko's units that have yet to burn-in completely (only have about 1 hour of playback on them so far) so make what you will of this. But I swear I've been so frustrated with the Burson's failing (MELTING) over and over again that I feel the need to let you guys know that there are other offerings such as those from Sparko's that are extremely viable and in my use case, preferable. 

I really have to thank Andrew Sparks of Sparkos Labs for his extremely wonderful customer service, taking time to share his knowledge on op-amp rolling and chit-chatting about other stuff as well. Throughout our conversation, I didn't feel as if he was trying to push me to try his product at all and I appreciate salesmen like that very much. If you're interested in his devices, don't be afraid to contact Andrew with whatever questions you might have. I'm sure he'll afford you the same customer service he so graciously afforded me. 

I am in no way affiliated to Sparkos Labs. I just felt like I could relate to a bunch of you with all the burson opamps failing and what not and felt the need to share my experience with the sparkos 3602.

Check out the monstrosity.

May 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5,014 of 5,552
just received my replacement for my full boat v5 17v. They replaced my opamps with the v5i's plus the heatsink. currently burning-in. We'll see how they stack up with the v5's. I feel these should last now that it has a metal casing.

May 27, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #5,015 of 5,552
They offered me that option as well and I didn't think it made sense. If I wanted the V5i, I could've opted for the full refund and then bought the V5i's with cash to spare. Was that the same offer they made you?

May 27, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #5,016 of 5,552
First impression V5i's duals with V5 singles in the H10:

Unfortunatly I don't remember how the V5 duals sounded, but compared to lm49720ha which I have been using the most, the V5i duals are a bit darker sounding( less treble emphasis), but with more width and depth. I'm gonna guess these also need some burn-in as the rest of Bursons opamps, so this is only impression after getting them in and having them warmed up.

I say at first listen they sound better than the lm49720ha which I found earlier where the next best thing to the V5 duals. So for H10 and since the V5 opamps struggles with the H10 currents, this might be the best "compromise" for this position. But as stated earlier my V5 singles are "melting" as well, so I hope the V5i singles is up to the job when I get them as replacement.

May 27, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #5,017 of 5,552
  I'm not a Gustard H10 user but I use a EE Minimax Plus and come to this thread to get some information on op-amp rolling as well. You guys aren't the only ones with issues with the Burson's melting. When I discovered that you guys were facing the same issues as myself, I started wondering if it's just a design problem with the Bursons and I have every reason to believe so. I went through 4 replacements, with my last replacement lasting me all but 1 Minute before popping and crackling in one channel. Prompting me to pop the lid to find yet another melted opamp. I eventually got a full refund (Credit to Burson for offering me that option) on my Burson opamps and put that money towards the Sparkos Labs. These just came in the mail today and let me tell you, they just sound wonderful.

Compared to the Bursons, the Sparkos 3602 are more balanced, with a lot more natural presentation of the music. Passages of music i'm familiar with for crossing the line into the hot spot of harshness is now completely relaxed. I found myself anticipating the same hardness in the music, causing my ears to reel back a little but when hit with the immaculate sound the 3602's provide, my brain can't help but feel a little bit confused as I slowly adjust to this new sound, putting a smile on my face. The Sparko's are a lot smoother than the Burson V5's. Instruments and voices of the Sparkos have a lot more solidity about them compared to the Bursons. These are my early impressions of the Sparko's units that have yet to burn-in completely (only have about 1 hour of playback on them so far) so make what you will of this. But I swear I've been so frustrated with the Burson's failing (MELTING) over and over again that I feel the need to let you guys know that there are other offerings such as those from Sparko's that are extremely viable and in my use case, preferable. 

I really have to thank Andrew Sparks of Sparkos Labs for his extremely wonderful customer service, taking time to share his knowledge on op-amp rolling and chit-chatting about other stuff as well. Throughout our conversation, I didn't feel as if he was trying to push me to try his product at all and I appreciate salesmen like that very much. If you're interested in his devices, don't be afraid to contact Andrew with whatever questions you might have. I'm sure he'll afford you the same customer service he so graciously afforded me. 

I am in no way affiliated to Sparkos Labs. I just felt like I could relate to a bunch of you with all the burson opamps failing and what not and felt the need to share my experience with the sparkos 3602.

Check out the monstrosity.

With this damage occurring in only a minute of use, I think it's safe to say that this was a "lemon" or, perhaps, a "habanero."  It evidences an absence of quality control, that it could leave the factory unable to operate for even 60 seconds. 

See zachO's clarification in his post, below.

In my limited experience, only one out of four Burson V5 Duals delivered to me has actually arrived without defects.

A 75% failure rate, new in the box, combined with great customer service, still translates to a big hassle, but I so very much love the sound.

I had incorrectly concluded, awhile back, that the Sparkos op-amps have too large a footprint to fit inside my amp, where the Bursons are already a tight fit, front to rear, even on an extra DIP8 extender to allow clearance above another row of buffer op-amps, just in front of them. A row of gain jumpers sit behind the Bursons.  

Par for the course, it seems, I've discovered a documentation error in the Burson V5 datasheet:  It gives the dimensions of the V5 as follows:

Width 14.5mm

Depth 12.4mm

Height 29mm

If you're looking at the logo side of the Burson V5, which most people would consider as the front of the op-amp, the Width is 12.4mm and the Depth is 14.5mm

The Width could only be described as 14.5mm, as stated in the Burson datasheet, when looking at either of the two sides of the op-amp, not when looking at the logo (the front) or at the notched rear of the op-amp.

Why am I pointing this out?

Prior to this morning's discovery of Burson's documentation blunder, I had concluded that there is not enough room inside my amp to use the Sparkos SS3602, which, assuming their documentation is accurate (until proven otherwise), has a Width of 13.75mm and a Depth of 15.0mm.

I hadn't even considered trialing the Sparkos op-amps because, having trusted the erroneous Burson documentation instead of measuring the V5s myself, the Sparkos op-amp was allegedly 2.6mm deeper than the Burson op-amp - at 15.0mm vs. the Burson's confused figure of 12.4mm.

So, with the realization that the Sparkos SS3602 Dual is actually only 0.5 mm deeper than the Burson V5 Dual, I've just ordered a pair of them. $164.50 for two, including the $5.00 flat shipping fee. Hopefully, they will fit.

Thanks for your recommendation (which encouraged me to revisit the dimension specs.)

Mike

May 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,019 of 5,552
  So, with the realization that the Sparkos SS3602 Dual is actually only 0.5 mm deeper than the Burson V5 Dual, I've just ordered a pair of them. $164.50 for two, including the $5.00 flat shipping fee. Hopefully, they will fit.

Wow! ~$170 for a pair of duals. I only paid $200 for my H10. I think I will wait intently for some glowing reports.

....not glowing as in Burson "glowing" :)

May 27, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,020 of 5,552
The photo I took of that melted opamp wasn't the one that lasted a minute. The one that lasted only a minute had only melted a little and the red casing had risen ~2mm. I want to believe that it was a lemon but the failure rate I experienced with the bursons proves otherwise. I had a total of 4 replacements. Yes, I agree that the burson's do sound wonderful, especially with their sparkly treble. But like I mentioned in my post, the musical and balanced presentation of the Sparkos just made me realise how much of an improvement they were over the Burson's. Of course, this ultimately boils down to personal preference and at the end of the day, I'm glad I took the full refund and made the switch to Sparko's. I look forward to hearing your listening impressions with the Sparko's. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

May 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #5,021 of 5,552

Wow! ~$170 for a pair of duals. I only paid $200 for my H10. I think I will wait intently for some glowing reports.

....not glowing as in Burson "glowing" :)

Yes, my pursuit is getting pretty crazy, but I like how zachO has described the Sparkos, so I just have to try it.

I paid $150, before shipping, to get a pair of JRC Muses 02, from a reliable source (mouser.com), was not impressed and did not get any takers after trying to sell the pair for $75 across many weeks of posting the ad. So, I was reluctant to pull the trigger on the Sparkos, but zachO's testimony isn't the first I've read, praising them.

I'm also motivated by the thought of being able to put the lid back on my otherwise portable iBasso PB2 amp, but SQ will come first. I've been using the topless iBasso for several weeks now.

The photo I took of that melted opamp wasn't the one that lasted a minute. The one that lasted only a minute had only melted a little and the red casing had risen ~2mm. I want to believe that it was a lemon but the failure rate I experienced with the bursons proves otherwise. I had a total of 4 replacements. Yes, I agree that the burson's do sound wonderful, especially with their sparkly treble. But like I mentioned in my post, the musical and balanced presentation of the Sparkos just made me realise how much of an improvement they were over the Burson's. Of course, this ultimately boils down to personal preference and at the end of the day, I'm glad I took the full refund and made the switch to Sparko's. I look forward to hearing your listening impressions with the Sparko's. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

Thanks for the clarification - I've updated my earlier post. Thanks again for the recommendation and no hard feelings if my opinion, with my gear doesn't align with yours.

How long did it take for you to receive the Sparkos after placing the order?

Mike

May 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #5,022 of 5,552
To each his own. Everyone is free to form their own opinions. I just thought i'd share mine since a lot of people here have been experiencing the same issues that I was experiencing and no one seems to have considered switching camps.

it only took 1 week for it to arrive at my doorstep (Singapore). 

May 27, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #5,023 of 5,552
Wow, I came her just to suggest trying the Sparko over the Burson just based on sound comparison in my Little Dot 1+ but looks like you guys are figuring it out. The Sparko is more open and dynamic sounding. The Burson is darker and thicker sounding.

May 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #5,024 of 5,552
  Wow, I came her just to suggest trying the Sparko over the Burson just based on sound comparison in my Little Dot 1+ but looks like you guys are figuring it out. The Sparko is more open and dynamic sounding. The Burson is darker and thicker sounding.

Glad to see someone else preferring the Sparko over the Burson. Although in my system, I found the sparko to have a much more organic and rich tonality.

May 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #5,025 of 5,552
  They offered me that option as well and I didn't think it made sense. If I wanted the V5i, I could've opted for the full refund and then bought the V5i's with cash to spare. Was that the same offer they made you?

The thing is they didn't even offer me that option. They just went ahead and sent me the V5i's. needless to say I already sent Dennis an email regarding the issue.

Now with regards to V5i's full boat, I had these burning in for more than 2 days now. I can't exactly remember how the V5's sound so I can't make a detailed comparison between the two, but they do share the same sonic signature although with less refinement. The highs are smoother with the V5's and the lows, a bit more energetic and controlled.

But V5i's are closer to the V5's than they are different. not a baby V5, more like a younger brother, just my 2 cents.

one other interesting note, when I had the V5's i set my h10 to +6 and get enough juice to produce a "live venue" amount of volume(a dangerous amount), but with these, I have to turn my amp to +12 get the same amount of volume. But then again, my deafness might be getting worse :p

We'll see any changes as these puppies burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back