GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Aug 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,956 of 5,554
  If your H10 is connected balanced (XLR from a balanced dac), you flip the the switch to balanced, if it isn't (RCA) you switch it to unbalanced.

That is how one uses it, not what it does. I too would be interested in what it is doing to the circuit. Apparently it does not enable and disable the two inputs, at least not entirely. But when switched to the balanced position, it sure does a number on the SE inputs.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,957 of 5,554

That is how one uses it, not what it does.

I don't know what Balanced/XLR = balanced switch, unbalanced/SE/RCA=unbalanced switch doesn't tell you. It's the mechanic explained for anyone. You don't even need to read the labeling either, you know it's messed up just hearing the wrong setting.

If you're after deeper technicalities of these simple switches, you won't find them from me but I guess contacting Gustard might help.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,958 of 5,554

I don't know what Balanced/XLR = balanced switch, unbalanced/SE/RCA=unbalanced switch doesn't tell you. It's the mechanic explained for anyone. You don't even need to read the labeling either, you know it's messed up just hearing the wrong setting.

If you're after deeper technicalities of these simple switches, you won't find them from me but I guess contacting Gustard might help.

What was the point of the reply if you can't answer the question? Just curious. Though you have no answer, there are lots of folks around here that know quite a bit about what goes on inside the equipment. One never knows, we could get a constructive answer right here.

If not and I am curious enough, perhaps I will contact Gustard, though it has been sais that is difficult.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,959 of 5,554

What was the point of the reply if you can't answer the question? Just curious. Though you have no answer, there are lots of folks around here that know quite a bit about what goes on inside the equipment. One never knows, we could get a constructive answer right here.

If not and I am curious enough, perhaps I will contact Gustard, though it has been sais that is difficult. Thanks for the unsolicited advice.

I answered the question, I thought that's what he wanted to know. That's all it is. You felt the need to speak for him for some reason, what was the point of that? Just curious.

Either way man, chill maybe someone will answer the question in the way you want, I obviously won't stop it from happening and never intended to, as I don't care about it. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2,960 of 5,554
Yeah guys, i realise the switch picks unbalanced input. The unbalanced input still works even when the switch is not in the on position, but does not sound as good.
Just curious what the switch does in the amp - how does it work?

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,961 of 5,554

I answered the question, I thought that's what he wanted to know. That's all it is. You felt the need to speak for him for some reason, what was the point of that? Just curious.

Either way man, chill maybe someone will answer the question in the way you want, I obviously won't stop it from happening and never intended to, as I don't care about it. 

Sorry DreamKing, but your answer was more like 'stating the obvious'. This can sometimes come across as condescending! I guess that this wasn't your intention, and anyway, it seems that there was no harm done.

I suppose that there are users who are unaware of the balanced/unbalanced dip switches. But that doesn't seem to be Syd's case.

I too am surprised at this result; I would have thought that the dip switch would completely switch between the outputs, so as there would be no sound at all, if the dip switch setting was incorrect. But, I guess the size of the switch indicates that it's not doing that much; if it was completely rerouting the line-level input, I'd hope that the switch would be a bit more substantial than that!
So, who knows exactly what it does?

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #2,962 of 5,554
With there being no manual/instructions with this thing, I can imagine not everyone knows how this thing works, even for aspects that may appear obvious. A good amount of pages back, I remember telling someone why their H10 sounded bad when their switch was in the incorrect position when they got it, in stock form. I thought he had the same situation. To me it's just information I'm giving, I genuinely thought I was helping out. Glad that's all figured out and hope you guys find out what you want.

Sorry DreamKing, but your answer was more like 'stating the obvious'. This can sometimes come across as condescending! I guess that this wasn't your intention, and anyway, it seems that there was no harm done.

I suppose that there are users who are unaware of the balanced/unbalanced dip switches. But that doesn't seem to be Syd's case.

I too am surprised at this result; I would have thought that the dip switch would completely switch between the outputs, so as there would be no sound at all, if the dip switch setting was incorrect. But, I guess the size of the switch indicates that it's not doing that much; if it was completely rerouting the line-level input, I'd hope that the switch would be a bit more substantial than that!
So, who knows exactly what it does?

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,963 of 5,554
A SE or unbalanced line has the signal and the ground.  That's why a RCA plug has one pin and the ground.
A Balanced line has a positive and negative signal and the ground.  XLR connector has three pins, two signal and one ground.  Balanced cables are used to reject noise in long runs or noisy environment through phase inversion.  Something to do with the hot and cold line running in parallel cancelling out noise.
I learned that from running cable for a church PA system.

This part is just my guesstimation. 
The H10 is a stereo amp and not a balanced amp but it can accept a balanced input because the switch is connected to a dual op-amp which serves as a balanced signal interface.  Basically summing the hot and cold balance signal into one.  
When switched to unbalanced I assume the signal from the RCA is going through half the op-amp.  I assume half the op-amp and not bypass because changing the dual op-amps changes the sound from both the balance and unbalanced signals.

This is just my guesstimation and I am sure it is a lot more complicated than that.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,964 of 5,554
Also i thought i should post my op-amp rolling adventure notes here from the results I had with the H10, when I had the bifrost uber in the chain, which i switching to the X12 soon. I described it the best way I could.And I listen to each for a while and took notes.

The Combos that I liked
2xLT12132xAD797BRZ =Wide sound stage, Spacious,Tight hard Hitting bass,Airly Sound
2xLT11242xAD797BRZ =Tight Bass that hits hard when needed,Forward Mids,Big Sound Stage, Big Sound stage 
2xLT14892xAD797BRZ =Natural, Tight bass,Big wide Sound stage,Good Mids,Clean Highs

The combos that I didn't like

2xLME 49860 + 2x LME49990 Bright and flat
2xLME 49860 + 2x LT1363 Bloated bass narrow SS
2xLT1361 +2x LME49990 Netural and Flat
2xLME49860+2xLT1357  Punchy bass,very good SS,Good Depth
2xLT1124+2xLT1357 Good Highs, Lows with soft bass and ok Mids
2xLT1489+LME49990  Tight Bass, Ver small sound stage. Flat Dull, Poor sound image
2xLT1469+AD797BRZ Too Much Mids bass , Tight Accurate bass,Deep bass, Dark
2xLT1469+2x LT1357  Controlled punchy bass,Mid-Bass,Big Sound stage.2
xlt1358+ada797brz = Dark Punch Mid bass and subwoofer bass with dark sounding

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,965 of 5,554
Little comparison of the H10 and the new M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR if anyone's interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/matrix-m-stage-hpa-3b-class-a-full-balance-headphone-amp/reviews/13705

This really got my attention because as much as I love my H10, it has now come time for me to go fully balanced (mostly due to the acquisition of a fully balanced phono stage). Will probably hold out for the new Gustard amp but this new M-Stage might make it a tougher decision.

Wonder how the HPA-3B stacks up against the Liquid Carbon as well. Hopefully someone gets a chance to jot down their thoughts on both come September.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,966 of 5,554
  Also i thought i should post my op-amp rolling adventure notes here from the results I had with the H10, when I had the bifrost uber in the chain, which i switching to the X12 soon. I described it the best way I could.And I listen to each for a while and took notes.

The Combos that I liked
2xLT12132xAD797BRZ =Wide sound stage, Spacious,Tight hard Hitting bass,Airly Sound
2xLT11242xAD797BRZ =Tight Bass that hits hard when needed,Forward Mids,Big Sound Stage, Big Sound stage 
2xLT14892xAD797BRZ =Natural, Tight bass,Big wide Sound stage,Good Mids,Clean Highs

The combos that I didn't like

2xLME 49860 + 2x LME49990 Bright and flat
2xLME 49860 + 2x LT1363 Bloated bass narrow SS
2xLT1361 +2x LME49990 Netural and Flat
2xLME49860+2xLT1357  Punchy bass,very good SS,Good Depth
2xLT1124+2xLT1357 Good Highs, Lows with soft bass and ok Mids
2xLT1489+LME49990  Tight Bass, Ver small sound stage. Flat Dull, Poor sound image
2xLT1469+AD797BRZ Too Much Mids bass , Tight Accurate bass,Deep bass, Dark
2xLT1469+2x LT1357  Controlled punchy bass,Mid-Bass,Big Sound stage.2
xlt1358+ada797brz = Dark Punch Mid bass and subwoofer bass with dark sounding

Thanks for posting your impressions, of so many combinations!! 
beerchug.gif

Your wording seems to suggest that even many of the sets that you 'didn't like', weren't too bad.

I'd like to get the fullest deep and sub bass, and also improve the treble (it's currently uneven, with some slight exaggeration (cymbals etc) but ultimately rolled off). Is there any particular combo that you think helps the frequency extremes?

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,967 of 5,554
You could try out  2x LT1358 with 2xAD797BRZ  , 2x LT1469 with the 2xAD797BRZ, or 2xLME49860 and 2xLT1357 and see if  any of those 3 works for you. Because the results might be different as I had the bifrost uber, I don't know how it would do with your Cambridge. I used the LME 49860 and LT1357 combo for a while before trying others and end up settling on LT1489 and AD797. Which I hope I don't go on a dual op-amp rampage again.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #2,968 of 5,554
I'll give my two cents again, for what it is worth. I personally find the AD797 and AD823 combination to yield outstanding soundstage, much clarity at the frequency extremes and a very neutral overall sound signature. Like I said before, there seems to be good synergy with the sister, brother Analog Devices op-amps.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,969 of 5,554
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll have to try the 797. Maybe I'll try a couple of combinations; just 2 other types of op-amp, for the other sockets; I don't do enough listening to warrant the auditioning of a whole collection. That's why I'm so keen to understand the findings of others.

So, I guess once my amp has got plenty of hours on it, the AD797brz paired with AD823 and LT14892(?), and see which I prefer.

Don't hold your breath; I may not be doing this for a while. But I'll let you know my thoughts.
P.S. You can still add any 'updates', in the meantime 
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,970 of 5,554
There two LT1489's, the LT1489 which what i using and the LT1489-2 which suppose to be a second one, I haven't used that one just the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back