GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,941 of 5,554
  Mikey, I'm sorry; I don't know. All I'm saying is that this thread is not the best place to have that discussion.

I hope that someone can help you soon. But, please try your best to use the correct thread. 
smile.gif

Dude, if this thread were restricted to JUST the H10, it'd be pretty quiet (how the heck would it get to 197 pages if there weren't a little diversity?).....'sides, unless an actual mod say otherwise, a little diversity is fine by me (and I'm sure most who post here due to sheer lack of usable info about the X12 and DSD playback). If you don't like my post, simply put me on your ignore list....as well as those who have gone OT, then you'd have only the relevant posts that you so desire.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,942 of 5,554

blink.gif

Guys, please !?!! Some OT is fine; it's what keeps a thread diverse and interesting. But if you're gonna totally change the subject, you need consider the other thread users; the dac conversation, in all its forms, keeps taking over this thread!

Dude, if this thread were restricted to JUST the H10, it'd be pretty quiet (how the heck would it get to 197 pages if there weren't a little diversity?).....'sides, unless an actual mod say otherwise, a little diversity is fine by me (and I'm sure most who post here due to sheer lack of usable info about the X12 and DSD playback). If you don't like my post, simply put me on your ignore list....as well as those who have gone OT, then you'd have only the relevant posts that you so desire.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the response I gave earlier.

Please (you and others), stop painting me with that (no OT!!) brush!

If, we follow your train of thought and you're going to talk about whatever, where ever, what's the point in having different threads?

Are you really suggesting that blocking each other is the correct solution?

Life's too short for this....!!!

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2,943 of 5,554

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the response I gave earlier.

Please (you and others), stop painting me with that (no OT!!) brush!

If, we follow your train of thought and you're going to talk about whatever, where ever, what's the point in having different threads?

Are you really suggesting that blocking each other is the correct solution?

Life's too short for this....!!!

Whoa, a backseat mod has spoken, so shall it be....
rolleyes.gif

Other than a H10 being defective or combo of DAC's to be used with it, what's there to discuss? Headphones that 'suits' the H10, I personally like the synergy of the H10 and my HE400i and HE500. Tell, what else is there to talk about? You want a H10 circle jerk?

Edit - I'd suggested the 'ignore' solution only because you seem to be the only one carrying on about OT. BTW, when did I ever talk about 'whatever'? Other than these silly replies to you, I've only talk about the X12. Let it NOT be said that I don't practise what I preach.....ignored!

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #2,944 of 5,554
So, it seems what you're saying is that (Edit: This is clearly what you implied)
  1. if you cannot think of anything else to discuss, regarding the thread topic, it's ok for everyone to use that thread to write about anything they like. 
  2. and a blocking based system is better than a thread system, to keep track of conversations.

I was trying to help and do the right thing (for everyone, not just myself). But like you say, your replies are silly (among other things!
rolleyes.gif
 ).

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,945 of 5,554
Hey look! By talking about OT it's now more OT
biggrin.gif
Better give it a rest guys.

Mikey, if you still need help check underneath post which gives you the option to send an email. Alternatively you can send ansi a PM and ask for help. He seems to have a direct line to Gustard.

Does anyone know who manufactures this amp ? And have a link to to the company ?

Gustard manufactures Gustard H10. The company has no website. The closest you can get is this: http://www.seowon-audio.com/ 

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #2,946 of 5,554
Hey look! By talking about OT it's now more OT :D Better give it a rest guys.

Mikey, if you still need help check underneath post which gives you the option to send an email. Alternatively you can send ansi a PM and ask for help. He seems to have a direct line to Gustard.
Thanks, will pm ansi.....this is a most helpful post! Much appreciated.:D

I really dunno why some take it upon themselves to be armchair and backseat mods....:blink:

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #2,947 of 5,554
Guys, anyone else with high impedence cans experiencing random high pitch crackling? I was using my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms on the H10, I hear this random crackling. Swapped the DT990 with my HFM HE500 and I don't hear this crackling at all. Will try my HD700 and K812, I'll be back with my findings.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,948 of 5,554
  Seriously, could someone post what components are required for Foobar2k and config, seriously getting quite ticked off at not being able to play DSD files. When I set Tools -> SACD -> PCM, it works up to 176kHz....set it higher and I get an unrecoverable error message. When I set it to DSD and hit the play button, I can see that the track is being played, but there is dead silence. Gustard really ought to work on support, when I got my iFi iDSD Micro, I had some issue playing DSD tracks, asked their tech support and was given a step-by-step guide, likewise with LHL Geek Pulse (even posted a general guide on their webby)......but man, this Gustard doesn't even come with a manual!

This is a step by step instruction for getting Foobar to work with DSD:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000#E4619OiCRTDJAGqB.97

You need to install a couple additional files: foo_out_asio.fb2k-component, ASIOProxyInstall.exe & foo_input_sacd.dll

Also this website discusses the neutered XMOS driver that came with the mini-CD actually sounds worse and will not enable DSD. You need to install a FULL working version driver from Thesycon.

http://soundex.ru/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=41399&page=1

The website suggests that you should really get off Foobar2k, as JRiver is in everyway much better.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #2,949 of 5,554
Guys, anyone else with high impedence cans experiencing random high pitch crackling? I was using my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms on the H10, I hear this random crackling. Swapped the DT990 with my HFM HE500 and I don't hear this crackling at all. Will try my HD700 and K812, I'll be back with my findings.

No crackling at all.

I have HD650, DT880/600 and used DT770/600 for short time, all sound pretty good on H10 with no crackling.

Maybe this CRACKling is just a way H10 is communicating to you that Bottlehead Crack is even better for 600 Ohm phones :)

Listen closely, maybe there is even sound of little metal BALLS racing inside with incredible SPEED? :D

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,950 of 5,554

I am that "recent contributor".  This is my first "Head-fi" system.  I do not have the experience or audio sophistication to point to a particular piece of equipment and say this is the culprit. I have done by best to describe what I have heard and the improvement as the equipment has burned in. 

Perhaps this contributor is partially describing what I have heard.  I know I have lost the enjoyment in several of my favorite songs.  Several of the oldest Beatles songs and particularly The Doors Light My Fire are unlistenable now.  With the Beatles songs the guitar and vocals are all on the far right while the drums are alone on the left.  There is nothing in the center making it sound like everybody's playing in two rooms far apart.  The same for the organ solo in Light My Fire.  I never experienced this phenomenon with my mini-system + ultrasone HFI-2400.

Again I would point out that I have stated my limitations including suspect source material and hearing loss.  I am just looking for answers and help!

Apologies for the necro-post, I'm currently mining this enormous thread while waiting for my H10 to arrive.

My suggestion to pippen99 is to try introducing crossfeed to the signal, it might help a track that's mastered for speakers to sound more natural on headphones. The problem songs you're describing sound like good candidates for improvement with a bit of crossfeed. If you want to give it a try, you can download plugins for foobar (xfeed and ambio are two that I know of). Interested to hear if this helps.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,951 of 5,554
Apologies for the necro-post, I'm currently mining this enormous thread while waiting for my H10 to arrive.

My suggestion to pippen99 is to try introducing crossfeed to the signal, it might help a track that's mastered for speakers to sound more natural on headphones. The problem songs you're describing sound like good candidates for improvement with a bit of crossfeed. If you want to give it a try, you can download plugins for foobar (xfeed and ambio are two that I know of). Interested to hear if this helps.

Many older recordings have instruments or vocals panned hard right or left. I've experienced that with some Beatles songs as well. The effect is more noticeable with headphones, since what each ear hears is separate. With speakers, each ear gets sound from both right and left channels. The crossfeed suggestion will definitely help.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,952 of 5,554
The Beatles, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, even The Beach Boys....the list goes on. It was the early days of sterrerereo. I think that they got a bit carried away with trying to replicate their drug induced trips, in their recorded music. Probably that and the sound engineers were 'off their heads', as well!

It makes for an 'interesting' listening experience. Especially with head phones! 
triportsad.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,953 of 5,554
  The Beatles, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, even The Beach Boys....the list goes on. It was the early days of sterrerereo. I think that they got a bit carried away with trying to replicate their drug induced trips, in their recorded music. Probably that and the sound engineers were 'off their heads', as well!

It makes for an 'interesting' listening experience. Especially with head phones! 
triportsad.gif

Some of those benefit from cross-feed, and it does make it sound more speaker-like than headphone-like (takes it "out-of-your-head" and reduces hard pans), but like any DSP some folks like it, some don't. Get a plug-in that's adjustable for msec delay and HF roll-off.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,954 of 5,554
So, after having good experiences with this amp I recommended it to a friend. He was really disappointed!
Had a listen to his rig and it did not sound good at all. Had a look and he was using the unbalanced inputs on the Gustard. We flipped the unbalanced dipswitch on the back on and the magic was there.
So what does that switch actually do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back