GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Dec 5, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #211 of 5,554
I am using Monster ones for RCA cables.
The power is good enough for He-6.
I could not go beyond 2 oclock in usual listening.
With Conductor, I turned it at the max position.
The SQ is very good with He-6, which was left out for a while because I could not find a reasonable amp.
Even though I used Matantz PM 6005, Tp-60, and Teac amps, all of them were not good enough.
Now I am stuck with H-10.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #212 of 5,554
Is it real that power code or power conditioner affect sound quality?
When I tried the power code and power conditioner, there is no effect at all.
My machine chain is an Oppo 105 - Burson conductor - H10 - He6.
There is nothing being changed even though I put considerable money for the power conditioning and the code.

If your AC power is "clean" to begin with and/or the power conditioner itself is not very effective and/or your home doesn't have a dimmer or florescent lights on the same circuit as your audio gear and/or the power supplies in your audio gear are well designed and/or one or more components in your chain, including the headphone, is not transparent or resolving enough to discern any defredation caused by less than perfect power and/or your choice of recordings lack sufficient blackness to reveal power noise and/or your hearing is compromised or unskilled at listening analytically,, etc. etc. etc... You might not detect any improvement when using a power conditioner.

:D

Mike

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #215 of 5,554
HD800 in the house.. first off.. good god.. I love this headphone. I loved it the first time I owned it.. but I love it even more this second time.

I've done some preliminary listening with the H10 (lossless streams from TIDAL --> Schiit Wyrd --> Geek Out 1000 --> H10 (RCA input) --> HD800 (stock cable/no mods)).. and.... and..... and... well, I want to listen some more before commenting.

Teaser?

From what I've heard so far.. I'll have nice things to say about this combo.

:)

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #216 of 5,554
You're quite a tease :wink: But, well formed and collected impressions are definitely superior; so listen on, I can certainly wait...
I will have both of these on the way in the coming months, actually the H10 en route as we speak.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #217 of 5,554
HD800 in the house.. first off.. good god.. I love this headphone. I loved it the first time I owned it.. but I love it even more this second time.

I've done some preliminary listening with the H10 (lossless streams from TIDAL --> Schiit Wyrd --> Geek Out 1000 --> H10 (RCA input) --> HD800 (stock cable/no mods)).. and.... and..... and... well, I want to listen some more before commenting.

Teaser?

From what I've heard so far.. I'll have nice things to say about this combo.

:)

Thought you are going for HE-560? Do you have other amp to compare the HD-800-Gustard H10 combo? I have been listening with H10 and Lyr 2 with my HD-800 for a week now. :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #218 of 5,554
Thought you are going for HE-560? Do you have other amp to compare the HD-800-Gustard H10 combo? I have been listening with H10 and Lyr 2 with my HD-800 for a week now. :)

I have both the HE-560 & HD800, Luke..  I feel more than a little spoiled.. LOL.  Both are terrific phones.. absolutely terrific.  My other desktop amp is a tube hybrid (Cavalli CTH.. check the photo albums in my profile to see a pic of them with the HE-560).. and I have a fully loaded Geek Pulse /x /f /i coming (whenever they start shipping).  Congrats on the Lyr2.. I've read very good things about it.. I'd certainly be interested in comparisons of it with the H10.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #219 of 5,554
You are spoiled indeed! Which one do you like more?

I will post my impressions/comparison of the H10 and Lyr 2 sometime in the future. Initially, I thought the H10 is better in every aspect but my opinion changed as I listened to both more and more...

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #220 of 5,554

Sir GP, or more commonly known as Stu, what are your thoughts on using a UPS to supply power to a music system? I suspect that a lot of the "unruly electrons" will be brought into line with this device, or am I deluding myself again? Surely the Master Guinea Pig would know of such things. I wait with baited breath and high expectations for the dispersement of your superior knowledge in this area. I would say that I am not worthy but that would simply not be true as I am also of the guinea pig breed.  Cheers from Oz. 

Senior GP says that he has never tried a UPS, so take this with a grain or two of salt.  I don't believe that UPS's have much in the way of isolation between devices plugged into it.  That defeats one of the reasons for having a power conditioner in the first place..  They are designed primarily to keep the juice flowing in a temporary power outage, and not so much to give you clean power.  There very well may be exceptions to that rule now.  My other concern with a standard UPS would be the internal output impedance of the device. Ideal would be zero output impedance, but of course no conditioner/voltage regulator does that.  I don't think it is as big a concern for the UPS manufacturers as it is for those that build units for audio.  

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #222 of 5,554
I remember that unit. The Richard gray power company had been around for years. I think it was about 15 years ago that their product was eviscerated in Stereophile by Jonathan Skull. One of the most brutally negative reviews I ever read.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #223 of 5,554
Update on the new and improved (allegedly) Gustard X10. Polychen says the factory will be releasing it on the 15th of this month. Still no news on what, if any, changes have been made to the DAC output side. I will be trying one of the Gustards, but I'm waiting for more info.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #224 of 5,554
Really like H10. I am just a starter hifi'er

PC-->Sony PHA-3-->H10-->HD800 --> Best sound listened ever in my life from headphones. Youtube, Tidal and Flac all sound superb. Sound has real weight and solid feel. I keep listening for longer and longer...might have lost sense of time while listening to this setup. - Most neutral sound.

PC-->Sony PHA-3-Balanced Amp Out-->HD800 --> Very wide open and 3D sound. good for movies and games. Music lacks weight here. do not like this setup for music.

PC-->iDSD Nano-->H10-->HD800 --> Very good all rounder. Voices are intimate and standout. highs and overall lacks clarity compared to PHA-3. not bad at all. very good setup for less.

Another note: H10 was very warm during first 60 or so hours. Once it is broken in, it settle down to a lesser warmer temperature. I always keep it on.

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #225 of 5,554
Warm. Yes, but not Schiit Lyr 2 warm. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back