GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #8,567 of 8,963
I'm just trying the HQPlayer and streaming the content over LAN to the R26. I have a quick question: which settings on the HQPlayer do you prefer? I'm at a loss with so many filters and oversampling schemes.

Is it better to send only PCM to the R26 or is DSD better?

Also, if I use HQPlayer for oversampling, I assume that I should set the R26 to NOS only?

Should I limit the word length to 20 bits or 16 bits? Does it matter if sending over the Internet or is it applicable only when using USB?

I listen mostly rock and jazz.

Also, I still have the 1.42 firmware; is it worthwhile to upgrade to the new 1.43? What does it offer?

Thanks.

IMO, LAN input sounds good only when using HQP, or it is a bit noisy directly.

I prefer DSD upsampling to PCM, I like the way it sounds.
I am upsampling to DSD 512, though my PC can do 1024 due to limited bandwidth of R26 via LAN I cannot.
I am on 1.43 firmware, leave it if you don't use it as a LAN streamer.

Try out what do you prefer,
here are my old settings for HQP to start of:
IMG-20240324-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240324-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240324-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240324-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240324-WA0002.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #8,568 of 8,963
Thank you for those who responded to my query regarding the best options with the HQPlayer. I have a couple of questions still (I am new in this business of streaming to the LAN input on the R26, so please be forgiving):

1. Is it important to set the bit-length with PCM OVER LAN (I understand that it is recommended for USB, Coax, etc ..., but the HQP manual says nothing about the LAN option)?

2. To stream DSD, I should NOT require DoP, right?

3. Does DSD streaming work with HQPlayer? I'm reading that there are problems with DSD over UPnP? Does the HQPlayer use UPnP or is it an entirely different scheme? (Once again, be patient with me, I'm still not clear about differences/similarities with DLNA, UPnP and NAN).

4. Why are some people not liking the 1-bit DSD DAC in the R26? Is it therefore much more preferable to use PCM all the time?

Thank you.

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #8,569 of 8,963
Thank you for those who responded to my query regarding the best options with the HQPlayer. I have a couple of questions still (I am new in this business of streaming to the LAN input on the R26, so please be forgiving):

1. Is it important to set the bit-length with PCM OVER LAN (I understand that it is recommended for USB, Coax, etc ..., but the HQP manual says nothing about the LAN option)?

2. To stream DSD, I should NOT require DoP, right?

3. Does DSD streaming work with HQPlayer? I'm reading that there are problems with DSD over UPnP? Does the HQPlayer use UPnP or is it an entirely different scheme? (Once again, be patient with me, I'm still not clear about differences/similarities with DLNA, UPnP and NAN).

4. Why are some people not liking the 1-bit DSD DAC in the R26? Is it therefore much more preferable to use PCM all the time?

Thank you.
1. Yes set bit depth to 15
2. Correct direct or native no need for dop
3. Hqplayer is at its best upsampling and converting PCM to DSD. Your R26 is one of the recommended devices with built in NAA.
4. The R26 has a seperate 1bit dac for processing DSD. I found it to be noisy, generating a lot of white noise (hiss). Measurements reflect its high noise floor.
With PCM the R26 uses the R2R ladder and sounds wonderful.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #8,572 of 8,963
Hi I'm new here. Like to ask if anyone has tried LHY USB isolator with the R26. Sorry if this is a repeat question cos I’ve read till pg 38 only. Or would I be better off getting a DDC. I’m not a techky but I know they do different things, just wanna know which gives a better result.
LAN input has been found to provide the best sounding input. Even beating out ddcs costing up to $1200. The only time I remember someone saying the usb sounded better than the lan was with a $1000 Jcat usb card.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #8,573 of 8,963
1. Yes set bit depth to 15
2. Correct direct or native no need for dop
3. Hqplayer is at its best upsampling and converting PCM to DSD. Your R26 is one of the recommended devices with built in NAA.
4. The R26 has a seperate 1bit dac for processing DSD. I found it to be noisy, generating a lot of white noise (hiss). Measurements reflect its high noise floor.
With PCM the R26 uses the R2R ladder and sounds wonderful.

Thank you for responding.

Regarding item 3: when I stream DSD files to the R26 (whether I use HQP or JRriver), the display shows that it is DSD. So why are people saying that DSD streaming doesn't work over UPnP? I don't quite understand here.

Regarding item 4: Could you let me know what settings you used on HQP when outputting PCM? Do you upsample to 768K, which filters/noise shapers did you prefer?

If the DSD 1-bit DAC is noisy on the R26, what other DACs offer a much better DSD DAC? (without hitting the statosphere in terms of price).

Thank you.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #8,574 of 8,963
Thank you for responding.

Regarding item 3: when I stream DSD files to the R26 (whether I use HQP or JRriver), the display shows that it is DSD. So why are people saying that DSD streaming doesn't work over UPnP? I don't quite understand here.

Regarding item 4: Could you let me know what settings you used on HQP when outputting PCM? Do you upsample to 768K, which filters/noise shapers did you prefer?

If the DSD 1-bit DAC is noisy on the R26, what other DACs offer a much better DSD DAC? (without hitting the statosphere in terms of price).

Thank you.
I’m not sure why others are telling you that. The R26 is UPnP/DLNA/NAA and streams native DSD no problem.

Remember the R26 will
convert DSD to PCM. You must turn DSD Direct ON for it not to do this.
NOS must be turned ON to disable R26 internal oversampling and filters
These settings are found on the R26 settings menu.

For HQplayer PCM I upsampled to 768k. My favorite filters were poly-sinc -gauss-hires with dither LNS15, and closed form m with dither NS5

I’ve since moved to the Gustard A26 specifically for DSD conversion and upsampling.
The akm4499 chips process DSD256 natively in the 44.1 family rates, and measure beautifully.
The A26 with DSD256 and ASDM7EC-light modulator gives you the perfect bass machine.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #8,576 of 8,963
I very well could have gotten a bad 1bit dsd dac or damaged resistor in mine but the noises (hiss) I heard is indicated in the R26 DSD measurements.
SINAD of 68 when in DSD direct mode.
My unit was also purchase by me in Nov 2022. So maybe they have improved their internal components.

Attachments

• IMG_8925.jpeg
    IMG_8925.jpeg
    644.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #8,577 of 8,963
I very well could have gotten a bad 1bit dsd dac or damaged resistor in mine but the noises (hiss) I heard is indicated in the R26 DSD measurements.
SINAD of 68 when in DSD direct mode.
My unit was also purchase by me in Nov 2022. So maybe they have improved their internal components.
Maybe
My purchase was in Aug 2023, and I love DSD over PCM in R26.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #8,578 of 8,963
LAN input has been found to provide the best sounding input. Even beating out ddcs costing up to $1200. The only time I remember someone saying the usb sounded better than the lan was with a $1000 Jcat usb card.
Thanks camrector for your reply. Strangely I tried Lan with my Netgear satellite connected to the R26 using JPLAY vs streaming via my Eversolo dmp-a6 and found the usb sounded better. So I thought I’ll squeeze all the juice via USB way. I’ll revisit the Lan see what I missed. Thanks ☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back