GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #8,448 of 8,833
Hi, I'm hoping an experienced R26 owner can answer a few questions for me. Finding a potential streamer/R2R DAC in one box is awesome, if its streamer functionality is easily accessible. I've done a lot of reading and watching video reviews and my take is that streamer functions are not very straightforward with the R26. This will be my first serious digital player after about 10 false starts as I've been a vinyl only listener for forever.

Here are my questions: Can I plug the R26 in, and in using the manual sync it up with Tidal Connect easily enough? Or will it require some kind of mods/programming etc.? What about Spotify? Is there an easy option for any decent music service?

Thanks for any insight you can share. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #8,449 of 8,833
Hi, I'm hoping an experienced R26 owner can answer a few questions for me. Finding a potential streamer/R2R DAC in one box is awesome, if its streamer functionality is easily accessible. I've done a lot of reading and watching video reviews and my take is that streamer functions are not very straightforward with the R26. This will be my first serious digital player after about 10 false starts as I've been a vinyl only listener for forever.

Here are my questions: Can I plug the R26 in, and in using the manual sync it up with Tidal Connect easily enough? Or will it require some kind of mods/programming etc.? What about Spotify? Is there an easy option for any decent music service?

The easiest set up is going to be with Roon. Connect to your network with a LAN and your all set.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #8,451 of 8,833

If you use android phone, than you need to install older version of tidal app from apkmirror(2.64.2) and the tidal connect works easily, spotify connect also no problem, or you can use bubble upnp app and stream tidal through it...

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #8,452 of 8,833
Thanks but not interested in the cost of Roon or need for a computer. I heard from someone else that JPlay is a great option for the R26 and I'll take a look at that.
Jplay works well (using Qobuz on iPad in my case) but it is also a continuous subscription (all be it somewhat cheaper than Roon) and I wasn’t prepared to pay for that just for a front end app.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #8,453 of 8,833
Jplay works well (using Qobuz on iPad in my case) but it is also a continuous subscription (all be it somewhat cheaper than Roon) and I wasn’t prepared to pay for that just for a front end app.
So much much more than a front end app.
Arc lets you connect to your home library anywhere in the world.
Muse has a pretty stellar upsampler and convolution engine.
The AI makes your Qobuz subscription a 100times better.
I was a Roon hater myself until I finally gave it an actually shot and understood all that it can do.

It really gets the most out of the R26

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #8,455 of 8,833
Can I plug the R26 in, and in using the manual sync it up with Tidal Connect easily enough?
Hi, since the 1.43 update, I ditched Roon for a day or two to try Tidal Connect with ios and quite enjoyed it. It worked without bugs during that time and the R26 appeared as an option without further tinkering, but Roon with all its features and connectivity with HQPlayer is indeed far superior and worth your consideration when the time comes.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #8,456 of 8,833

I'm in the same boat as you, love the vinyl and tube sound, dislike the more "digital" sound coming from ESS/AKM type DACs. For now the R26 seems to be the only R2R with some streamer functionality but I'm still hoping this year an R26 v2 will be announced that would have the streaming functionalities of an Eversolo, particularly being able to use Apple Music. Well, maybe Gustard will read this and make my wish come true! hahaha

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #8,458 of 8,833
……Cam busted my balls for months to try Roon, I finally gave in and I’d rather skip supper than give it up. Its discovery is spooky and I love reading album info, artist bios, and all the references it provides. JPlay was next best, but not in the same league. You can have Bubble and Mconnect, better than nothing for sure. I host it on a 2018 mac mini I picked up for $350. After nearly a year I’m still discovering functions.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #8,459 of 8,833
So much much more than a front end app.
Arc lets you connect to your home library anywhere in the world.
Muse has a pretty stellar upsampler and convolution engine.
The AI makes your Qobuz subscription a 100times better.
I was a Roon hater myself until I finally gave it an actually shot and understood all that it can do.

It really gets the most out of the R26
I was actually referring to JPlay when I said ‘just a front end app’. I know Roon is much more, I’m certainly not a hater,and most people seem to think it’s great, however I have no issues finding plenty of music to enjoy (too much in fact) I enjoy paper music magazines still, along with Allmusic, pitchfork, and numerous other music websites. Just can’t see where the value is. Now I’m sure if you want to do room correction, up sampling etc then it’s a great thing, but just for music discovery at £13/month, no thanks.

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #8,460 of 8,833
I was actually referring to JPlay when I said ‘just a front end app’. I know Roon is much more, I’m certainly not a hater,and most people seem to think it’s great, however I have no issues finding plenty of music to enjoy (too much in fact) I enjoy paper music magazines still, along with Allmusic, pitchfork, and numerous other music websites. Just can’t see where the value is. Now I’m sure if you want to do room correction, up sampling etc then it’s a great thing, but just for music discovery at £13/month, no thanks.
Being able to access my home personal library from any device in the world through ARC cancelled my Spotify account real quick.
Made Roon even that much more worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back