GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #8,251 of 8,863
I believe the new DMP-A8 does...for $2k. Truly, try the inexpensive hacks that the sage minds of this thread suggest first, and take your time with it, changing one thing at a time and sitting on it. After all the R26 itself takes a few weeks to settle on its final sound. I keep an old Sonos Connect plugged in to my preamp as a control at all times to document the shift of each R26 upgrade and small things really make a difference with this thing. Today, the contrast between the two is astonishing.
I see no need to upgrade the streamer on this unit (and honestly in my own case I don't have the room for another box anyway).

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #8,252 of 8,863
I'm still thinking about some streamer to R26, because I im hearing about I I2S. Some people say Gustard play better via I2S. Maybe Eversolo or Holo red

Keep in mind that the FMC mod doesn't just apply to the Gustard R26's internal streamer. It can be set up with any LAN streamer like the Holo Red.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #8,254 of 8,863
Keep in mind that the FMC mod doesn't just apply to the Gustard R26's internal streamer. It can be set up with any LAN streamer like the Holo Red.
This is what I do, and it makes an enormous difference. Even more so, with LHY SWC-10, and Red is isolated opticaly from both computer and LAN (WiFi hub).

No. I don’t use the clock on the router. I like my harmonic distortion from tubes. :)

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #8,255 of 8,863
I'm already order fiber set with topping. Now im wait for delivery. I'm very interesting, what this optical set can give me. BTW I'm configured hqplayer with roon. And I'm sure this sound is different, but better? Depends of music.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #8,256 of 8,863
As reported by some other members, my unit also hisses when playing DSD over the LAN streamer.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #8,260 of 8,863
Can someone tell me if the R26 has a channel balance setting in the menu?

I have a slight hearing damage on my left ear (~1,5 dB) and I need the possibility to adjust it.

At the moment I have Topping D70 Pro OCTO, and it has this menu setting.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #8,261 of 8,863
Can someone tell me if the R26 has a channel balance setting in the menu?

I have a slight hearing damage on my left ear (~1,5 dB) and I need the possibility to adjust it.

At the moment I have Topping D70 Pro OCTO, and it has this menu setting.

It does not. With the Gustard your best bet would be to use some software DSP, HQPlayer, or something to adjust the levels before the signal reaches the DAC.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #8,263 of 8,863
Mine was every where. Didn’t matter. DSD512 was the “quietest” but still very audible. DSD64 was by far the worse.
This is what leds me to believe it’s the 1bit dsd dac and it’s extremely high noise floor.
I tried everything and ever setting on HQplayer I could find. Eventually went to the A26.
DSD is dead silent now
Is the hiss only on 44.1khz multiples for you too?

I haven't tried anything but DSD512 through HQPlayer, both 44.1x512 and 48x512. The hiss seems worse with 44.1 kHz multiples, but it's there with 48 kHz DSD too.

I hear good things about the A26 and I do like AKM DACs, I use a Shanling M8 as my DAP (2x AKM4499EQ) but ultimately I have a strong preference for R-2R sound. I am perfectly happy to neglect the DSD section of this DAC like the redheaded stepchild it is and just stick to PCM, which sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back