GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #8,237 of 8,955
@venomas200 After living with the C18 clock and C2 cable for over a month, I do like their contributions to my system, but I don't feel the value is there. If funds are limited, I think there are better investments to make first, and maybe think of a clock as a cherry-on-top last purchase after you've dialed everything else in. Of particular note, which I've detailed elsewhere, is the clock's dubious effect on 48khz material on the R26. To this day I struggle to hear the difference with it on or off with 48khz and its multiples, PCM or DSD.
For the price of the C18 and C2, one could, and IMO probably should, invest in the following first:
Lifetime Roon subscription
Two years of Qobuz
2x Fiber Media Converters, fiber optic cable, Topping P50 LPS, high quality ethernet cable to R26
HQPlayer license
UMIK-1 microphone for room correction/convolution with REW and Roon

The last two offer essentially endless learning and tinkering opportunities compared to adding a clock, while also offering, I believe, greater potential for SQ improvement.

Regarding streamers, the one in the R26 is very, very good, and I'd recommend wearing it out before making sure you even need to upgrade. It works seamlessly with Roon, and it even works well with mconnect which is almost free. Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #8,238 of 8,955
@venomas200 After living with the C18 clock and C2 cable for over a month, I do like their contributions to my system, but I don't feel the value is there. If funds are limited, I think there are better investments to make first, and maybe think of a clock as a cherry-on-top last purchase after you've dialed everything else in. Of particular note, which I've detailed elsewhere, is the clock's dubious effect on 48khz material on the R26. To this day I struggle to hear the difference with it on or off with 48khz and its multiples, PCM or DSD.
For the price of the C18 and C2, one could, and IMO probably should, invest in the following first:
Two years of Qobuz
2x Fiber Media Converters, fiber optic cable, Topping P50 LPS, high quality ethernet cable to R26
HQPlayer license

The last two offer essentially endless learning and tinkering opportunities compared to adding a clock with, I believe, greater potential for SQ improvement.

Regarding streamers, the one in the R26 is very, very good, and I'd recommend wearing it out before making sure you even need to upgrade. It works seamlessly with Roon, and it even works well with mconnect which is almost free. Good luck!
100000% agree

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #8,239 of 8,955
Two years of Qobuz
HQPlayer license

The last two offer essentially endless learning and tinkering opportunities compared to adding a clock with, I believe, greater potential for SQ improvement.

I have roon. Now im try use roon + HQPlayer, but nim not understand this hq player whats exactly can give me this soft. I have question topping? For what, fiber? Explain?

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #8,242 of 8,955
Thanks, @BShaw that's exactly it.

@venomas200 Please see the following earlier post for a helpful explanation of what's needed, you can power both FMCs with it provided they are both 5V 1A, or in my case the clean side FMC and upstream Netgear switch with it. It's a simple and cheap upgrade:

So my Fiber Optic media converter arrived today consisting of:
10Gtek Gigabit Fiber Media Converter w/ Pair of Bidi SFP Singlemode Simplex LC Module (Kit #5)
10Gtek OS2 LC to LC Duplex Fiber Patch Cable 0.5m
TOPPING P50 LPS
USB Type A Male to 90 Degree Barrel Connector Charging Cable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V 80cm
Veetop Ethernet LAN Cat 8 RJ45 Cable 0.25

Initial Impressions: Uplift in resolution, separation, blacker background, a bit more analog(?) to my system.
Verdict: For 220Eur total, yes a keeper.

Pics or did not happen:

SeMbNHr.jpg
4wweFSZ.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #8,243 of 8,955
Thanks, @BShaw that's exactly it.

@venomas200 Please see the following earlier post for a helpful explanation of what's needed, you can power both FMCs with it provided they are both 5V 1A, or in my case the clean side FMC and upstream Netgear switch with it. It's a simple and cheap upgrade:
And this connect to LAN port in R26?

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #8,249 of 8,955
I'm still thinking about some streamer to R26, because I im hearing about I I2S. Some people say Gustard play better via I2S. Maybe Eversolo or Holo red
For a fraction of the cost of the Red or Eversolo (it has an HDMI out but not I2S), it's a no brainer to try FMCs first. See the first post for links, FAQs. R26 internal streamer v sensitive to noise on ethernet input. You can use FMCs with another streamer later too should you choose to go that route...

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #8,250 of 8,955
For a fraction of the cost of the Red or Eversolo (it has an HDMI out but not I2S), it's a no brainer to try FMCs first. See the first post for links, FAQs. R26 internal streamer v sensitive to noise on ethernet input. You can use FMCs with another streamer later too should you choose to go that route...
OMG you really have right. I've been sure this HDMi port in Eversolo is a I2S. Now after your post I was check in google and you have right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back