GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 29, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #7,967 of 8,835
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #7,968 of 8,835
I am using LAN direct connect to R26's internal renderer. Playing Qobuz 44.1khz files seems ok, but once it moves to higher bitrate, the renderer sometimes stutters. Same with playing DSD files, it stutters.

I suppose it is because of lack of RAM and the need to swap to sdcard sometimes. If it is because of swaps, can the stuttering be eliminated if I change the internal sdcard to a higher speed one?

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #7,969 of 8,835
I am using LAN direct connect to R26's internal renderer. Playing Qobuz 44.1khz files seems ok, but once it moves to higher bitrate, the renderer sometimes stutters. Same with playing DSD files, it stutters.

I suppose it is because of lack of RAM and the need to swap to sdcard sometimes. If it is because of swaps, can the stuttering be eliminated if I change the internal sdcard to a higher speed one?
What player are you using? A lot of us have had this issue with Bubble UPnP and MConnect, less so with JPlay, and for me not an issue with Roon. The R26 has very little buffering space, so the more it can be done before it hits the renderer the better. Roon is king, Jplay for me was much better than all the other players, but not perfect.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #7,970 of 8,835
What player are you using? A lot of us have had this issue with Bubble UPnP and MConnect, less so with JPlay, and for me not an issue with Roon. The R26 has very little buffering space, so the more it can be done before it hits the renderer the better. Roon is king, Jplay for me was much better than all the other players, but not perfect.
I use both BubbleuPnP and MConnect, both yields the same result. I don't want to go Roon as I want to keep it simple. If I have to set up another PC in between, I may as well add a U18 and use a PC's USB to stream to it, I am sure that will sound even better.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #7,971 of 8,835
I use both BubbleuPnP and MConnect, both yields the same result. I don't want to go Roon as I want to keep it simple. If I have to set up another PC in between, I may as well add a U18 and use a PC's USB to stream to it, I am sure that will sound even better.
Not from my experience with the U18 via I2S vs using the R26 LAN. Mac Mini Roon & HQPlayer server for both. Found the R26 LAN better - more natural, more body to midrange, less etched, more delicate decay. To be fair some prefer the U18 to R26 LAN but I assume you have to spend a fair bit on USB and HDMI I2S cables to get parity or better the LAN input - the highly rated pure silver Gothic Audio Semperfi Outsider USB got me closer but still no cigar. However I get your reluctance re Roon. Fair enough, it's yet another subscription. I have too many, need to cull some.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #7,972 of 8,835
Not from my experience with the U18 via I2S vs using the R26 LAN. Mac Mini Roon & HQPlayer server for both. Found the R26 LAN better - more natural, more body to midrange, less etched, more delicate decay. To be fair some prefer the U18 to R26 LAN but I assume you have to spend a fair bit on USB and HDMI I2S cables to get parity or better the LAN input - the highly rated pure silver Gothic Audio Semperfi Outsider USB got me closer but still no cigar. However I get your reluctance re Roon. Fair enough, it's yet another subscription. I have too many, need to cull some.
Yes, you are correct, the right USB and I2S cable is important to get it working with U18. Actually, mostly the work of USB cable, I2S is less influential than USB in my system.

However, LAN is the most simple setup, that's why I want to see if there is a way to make it work without stuttering. Do you reckon changing the sdcard to a higher speed one will help? the original one inside is just a no brand sdcard, I am sure a Sandisk Extreme is much faster..... and if that helps to quicken up the swap file process, will that help to eliminate the stutter?

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #7,973 of 8,835
I don't want to go Roon as I want to keep it simple.
Audirvana is another option.

I suppose it is because of lack of RAM and the need to swap to sdcard sometimes.
It's a known issue with Bubble and Mconnect.
A SD card is a very fragile drive, so I don't believe that the R26 was set to swap on it, especially as the card is internal and is not supposed to be replaced by the user.

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #7,974 of 8,835
A SD card is a very fragile drive, so I don't believe that the R26 was set to swap on it, ...
But it is, even though it's hardly ever used.
I removed it when I optimized the A26 system to run only networkaudiod (NAA) on one of the card's cores.
Now that I have an external Diretta box, I no longer use the A26 streamer.

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #7,976 of 8,835
No, i don't think but can you describe your network when you stream.
The R26 had a 100mb network interface.
Same for the A26, but the hardware (SBC) is different.
There's no problem even with DSD 512, but your R26 is connected to what ? and how ?

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #7,977 of 8,835
No, i don't think but can you describe your network when you stream.
The R26 had a 100mb network interface.
Same for the A26, but the hardware (SBC) is different.
There's no problem even with DSD 512, but your R26 is connected to what ? and how ?
My R26 is connected directly to router. I use BubbleuPnP and MConnect connected to same network domain to stream via upnp to Gustardrenderer directly. 44.1khz Qobuz seems ok, but higher bitrate like 96khz sometimes stutters. Streaming DSD64 sometimes stutters as well. I don't believe it is a network speed issue, as some DSD64 plays ok finishing the whole song without stutter, but some songs will stutter at almost the same place every time. This leads me to believe it is the buffering, or swapping to SDcard, that causes such stutter.

How do you play DSD512 without stutter?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #7,978 of 8,835
My R26 is connected directly to router. I use BubbleuPnP and MConnect connected to same network domain to stream via upnp to Gustardrenderer directly. 44.1khz Qobuz seems ok, but higher bitrate like 96khz sometimes stutters. Streaming DSD64 sometimes stutters as well. I don't believe it is a network speed issue, as some DSD64 plays ok finishing the whole song without stutter, but some songs will stutter at almost the same place every time. This leads me to believe it is the buffering, or swapping to SDcard, that causes such stutter.

How do you play DSD512 without stutter?

I had no issue with bubbleUpnP and R26, everything played fine

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #7,979 of 8,835
Ray, it really is most likely Bubble or MConnect bogging you down because of the way they interact with the anemic buffering capacity of the R26. If you read through this thread you’ll see this issue arise here and there. I installed JPlay way back maybe a year ago and the problem disappeared, and others had the same result. If I recall it cost $30 to purchase the app, one time. It’s also a much more refined interface. It’s like a step towards Roon IMO. Of course, once you go Roon you never go back!

Also, if you haven’t heard about it, you might want to consider the famous FMC upgrade if you’re running straight out of your noisy router, the details are on the first page of this thread thank you Mickey. Can be done well for less than 200 quid, even close to half that if you use inexpensive Jameco Reliapro power supplies.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #7,980 of 8,835
I use Audirvāna with a MacBook (until I build another DIY streamer) connected via LAN using DLNA to the R26 renderer. My internet is 220mbs, so it’s plenty fast. It still stutters with files 96k and above. Connected via usb no issues. I believe I read you can install an R26 update that will resolve the LAN buffer issue, but then you loose the ability to use DSD. I’m not sure about that, so best to check with Gustard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back