GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #7,201 of 8,835
Anybody else made their own esoteric fuses ?

I replaced the standard fuse by a Littelfuse 3A slow blow which got a spiral shape wire.

Next I used a Dremel with miniature cutting disc to make a hole in the glass of the fuse.
Needed a few tries as a few times the glass cracked completely.
Next I melted some Wiertz beeswax in a small cup using a hair dryer.
Put the fuse in a couple of times using long nose pliers, making sure it was filled up with beeswax completely.
Let it cool off with the hole facing up obviously, and cleaned it thoroughly (paper & iso alcohol).
PFTE tape to cover the hole in the fuse.

Yet another tick on the mod list.
why do you need a fuse, has anyone ever blown a fuse ?

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #7,202 of 8,835
It's good for our peace of mind to know that it's there.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #7,203 of 8,835
Putting to one side local laws which may make it illegal to omit ‘em, same argument as for house insurance, very low probability, why not just save your money, or in the case of a fuse get a better sound by replacing the fuse / fuse circuit with a solid conductor. I really should have at least temporarily tried the latter before buying a fancy fuse…

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #7,209 of 8,835
Aug 30, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #7,210 of 8,835
Wave Theory just posted his lukewarm review of the r26 on YouTube:

This guy is a glass half empty type............. couldn't listen to all of it...... it's like he doesn't want to be doing the review at all and has better things to be doing!
He lost me at plastic sides......

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #7,211 of 8,835
Wave Theory just posted his lukewarm review of the r26 on YouTube:

He obviously prefers the Chord Hugo 2 over the R26, but it appears that, when comparing to other DAC's, he mostly used Singxer SU-6 as bridge, and not the LAN input. He obviously didn't try LAN via an FMC either, but that's understandable. Modding like that is for those who already own an R26, or have settled on it otherwise.

I think it's interesting that he hears the Chord Hugo 2 as more detailed, while Sandu Vitalie (soundnews.net) says there is not much difference between the R26 and the top of the line Chord DAVE, costing about nine times as much as the R26. To me, this suggests that the differences between high end DACs are subtle and perhaps more system dependent than we think.

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #7,213 of 8,835
This guy is a glass half empty type............. couldn't listen to all of it...... it's like he doesn't want to be doing the review at all and has better things to be doing!
He lost me at plastic sides......
I'm not a fan, I don't think he's very good, but figured I'd put it up for whatever it's worth. While I was watching I got the impression that he was trying to differentiate himself by finding issues with an internet darling and going against the grain a bit. I'm sorry, you don't review a DAC without a decent speaker setup, I don't care how much your headphones cost, and a pair of cheap desktop Jamos just doesn't cut it.

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #7,215 of 8,835
Is the R26 LAN port speed fast ethernet? I plugged in router and just recently noticed that my router led is amber/orange instead of the white led
As I've tried plug in my pc, on the same port and it showed white led instead of orange.. so wondering , always thought r26 has a gigabit ethernet port

Users who are viewing this thread

Back