GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #4,681 of 8,863
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I read here, happy with what I had, but the disease is coming back :) To summarize simply please (lazy to read everything sorry friends) how is the R26?
Thanks, thanks, all the best.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #4,682 of 8,863
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I read here, happy with what I had, but the disease is coming back :) To summarize simply please (lazy to read everything sorry friends) how is the R26?
Thanks, thanks, all the best.
Read this review and watch the video and I think you will be up to speed. Short summary the R26 is one of the best DAC's to be had at or under $3500 some may say even better than those at $5000 and under.

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/...-gustard-r26-discrete-r-2r-ladder-dac-review/

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #4,683 of 8,863
thank you friend, I had seen this video but I prefer the opinion of real people, knowing a little journalists etc ... I have only very moderate affinity with what they say. I have a Musician Pegasus, I guess there shouldn't be a big difference in listening ?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #4,684 of 8,863
thank you friend, I had seen this video but I prefer the opinion of real people, knowing a little journalists etc ... I have only very moderate affinity with what they say. I have a Musician Pegasus, I guess there shouldn't be a big difference in listening ?
The musical Pegasus is the equivalent of the DenaFrips Aries so the R26 would be a upgrade over the Pegasus and many have said that the Gustard R26 can compete with the Pontus, Venus and some say even the Terminator (TOTL), all from Denafrips. My experience, as I can NOT speak for all the folks who participate on this thread but, I say for the $$$ this is the best DAC to be had and if it cost 2x as much I would say the same. I have heard all of the above DAC's with the exception of the Pegasus as well as the Holo Spring 3 KTE and while the Holo and the Terminator do out edge the R26 it is so slight that it is not worth the $$$ to purchase them and in my system I am 100% content with the R26 and the R2R sound signature it provides.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,685 of 8,863
I can't say too much because the R26 is a first R2R Dac.
In any case, it did not disappoint me.
The options it offers are really puristic and also intended for enthusiasts.
Especially the Lan part is interesting, the Usb input is solidly made, I2S is also very good.
I haven't heard anything bad about the coax that was noticeable.

Bluetooth could possibly be a shortcoming, but it doesn't have to be.
Haven't tested it enough to judge.

Soundwise it catapulted me up 3 levels compared to what I had before.
On tube amps it is definitely a good recommendation as well as on neutral tuned stereo amps.
There it shows its strengths very well.

It is certainly not on the level of a Holo May or higher.
But definitely better than what can be found in this price range.
And it may well annoy the Spring 3, which I find somewhat unattractive in price, especially the Kte version in the standard price range.
The preamp is not even included in the price.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4,686 of 8,863
It is certainly not on the level of a Holo May or higher.
But definitely better than what can be found in this price range.
And it may well annoy the Spring 3, which I find somewhat unattractive in price, especially the Kte version in the standard price range.
Holo DACs while use a ladder for conversion (not really R2R), sound more like Delta-Sigma, reviewers prefer to compare with DS DACs like Chord, not a real R2R DACs like Denafrips, Audio GD, Rockna, etc.

In fact, on a level of musicality, true harmonics, natural sound and a long-term fatigue level any Holo DAC is placed next to the best DS implementations. And similarly, it require upsampling on the PC to the highest numbers. I didn't hear R26, but based on the feedback on this forum, PCM sound characteristic is close to the Audio GD DAC which I own and love for two years or so. It is not my first R2R, I am quite a veteran, while it is my first NOS. I have never accepted DS for music. I can say, if you like R26 sound you will listen to more music you ever did before.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #4,687 of 8,863
Chord DACs are FPGA based right? Not DS.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,688 of 8,863
It is implementation of Delta-Sigma algorithm in FPGA. Not a chip-DAC like most, but yes, it is DS DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #4,689 of 8,863
Holo DACs while use a ladder for conversion (not really R2R), sound more like Delta-Sigma, reviewers prefer to compare with DS DACs like Chord, not a real R2R DACs like Denafrips, Audio GD, Rockna, etc.

In fact, on a level of musicality, true harmonics, natural sound and a long-term fatigue level any Holo DAC is placed next to the best DS implementations. And similarly, it require upsampling on the PC to the highest numbers. I didn't hear R26, but based on the feedback on this forum, PCM sound characteristic is close to the Audio GD DAC which I own and love for two years or so. It is not my first R2R, I am quite a veteran, while it is my first NOS. I have never accepted DS for music. I can say, if you like R26 sound you will listen to more music you ever did before.
Upsampling is entirely optional. Simply depends on whether you like/prefer NOS or not. Same with any NOS DAC.
Some people love NOS and would never go back to OS. Some much prefer good OS

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #4,690 of 8,863
Upsampling is entirely optional. Simply depends on whether you like/prefer NOS or not. Same with any NOS DAC.
Some people love NOS and would never go back to OS. Some much prefer good OS
Looks like someone is doing some research for a review! 😉
Gents we have a celeb in the Room!

For the love of god Golden Sound please use the LAN input when reviewing the R26!!!!

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4,691 of 8,863
With FPGA DACs, the FPGA itself is not actually doing the conversion. The FPGA just controls the actual converter circuit.

In DCS DACs the FPGA controls the 'ring DAC'
In R2R DACs the FPGA controls the R2R ladder
In Chord DACs the FPGA controls the pulse array

etc etc
Delta-Sigma is the process of converting native PCM information (low sample rate high bit depth), to much higher rate, lower bit depth information. This could be going all the way to say 22Mhz 1bit. But most DACs will have a native accuracy of 3-6 bits.

Generally speaking, DACs are either native PCM converters, or delta sigma. The only generally viable method of making a native PCM converter is an R2R circuit (though there are some exceptions).
So in practice pretty much everything is either Delta-Sigma of some sort, or R2R

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4,692 of 8,863
Looks like someone is doing some research for a review! 😉
Gents we have a celeb in the Room!

For the love of god Golden Sound please use the LAN input when reviewing the R26!!!!
I'd love to review the R26 but haven't been able to get my hands on one unfortunately.
I did ask about a review unit a while ago but was told no :frowning2:
Hopefully will get to review it in future as it certainly looks interesting!

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #4,693 of 8,863
I'd love to review the R26 but haven't been able to get my hands on one unfortunately.
I did ask about a review unit a while ago but was told no :frowning2:
Hopefully will get to review it in future as it certainly looks interesting!
Damn! most likely they are scared of the measurement data.
You would find the DSD functions…..very interesting.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #4,694 of 8,863
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #4,695 of 8,863
I don't think the measurements are the issue. Afaik Gustard sent L7 Audiolab a unit themselves.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/
I think it was more likely just due to supply issues around the time I asked
Oh yes we here are well versed in all the R26 data lol. This dac sounds ALOT better than what those measurements might indicate.
Good to have you here. 👍🏻
What brings you to our neck of the woods?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back