GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #196 of 8,833
Would I need a DDC if I use dac only through Coax or ABU?
of course not, DDC is like a cherry on top, some add a few percent of SQ, some even more, it is not mandatory. USB probably the better option imo without DDC

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #198 of 8,833
USB probably the better option imo without DDC
It depends on the USB implemention of your DAC. IME, I2S is better (if your source has it, or w/o using a DDC). Currently on my setup, LAN/Streamer is better. It has minimal issues as compared to standard USB. It is minimalistic (no DDC, USB isolator/reclocker) and has easy access (thru your phone/tablet). No need of PC, directly to your NAS, Cloud server or your Qobuz/Tidal account (BubbleUPnP).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #199 of 8,833
It depends on the USB implemention of your DAC. IME, I2S is better (if your source has it, or w/o using a DDC). Currently on my setup, LAN/Streamer is better. It has minimal issues as compared to standard USB.
Yeah, i presumed the guy who asked had a pc/mac as source, like i do :) Oh, he was asking only for coax/Ebu....my bad

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #200 of 8,833
Um, ok... I wasn't trashing U18 my dude.

"Not everyone can afford dumping a grand on a DDC."
I know... I only mentioned it because the entire context of my reply, was about you wondering about buying a $1600 clock...
And I wasn't implying you were trashing the U18. Why would anyone? It's a great product for the money!!

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #201 of 8,833
Don't get rid of your Metrum, that's nuts. Unless you are replacing it with another Metrum of course. Which one do you have?

Just a Flint w/ DAC2 modules (planned to try DAC3 but was told not 100% compatible). Got it partly for the small size and still sounds good to me so plan to keep it either way but I appreciate the heads up.

Problem is: no way I can fit an R26, DDC, and clock alongside the other gear I'll be using. Again thinking of adding a Pink Faun i2S Bridge inside my fanless PC but the pinout is fixed so might have compatibility issues with other DACs down the road. Didn't know about the using clocks over i2S pins til the discussion here though (thanks @m-i-c-k-e-y and @rdbogdan ) so may be possible to order upgraded clocks on the Pink Faun card and skip the DDC and external clock?

Btw, for anyone interested, I came across this external clock that matches the R26's input for a reasonable price and good brand:
Has four 50 ohm, 10M outputs (2 square wave, 2 sine wave)
https://mall.auneaudio.com/XC1-Common-Audio-Clock-p1714138.html

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #202 of 8,833
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #203 of 8,833
Now I can't say this for 100%, because I don't own the C18.
But I'll bet dollars to donuts just getting a better DDC to start will outperform U18+C18.

If you're already thinking of dropping the dosh on C18, I'd highly recommend just getting the Audio-GD DI-20HE instead.

(I own both the U18 and DI-20HE)

While I do think the U18 is an amazing DDC, especially for the price, it's still soundly outperformed by the DI-20HE.
If somebody here says the C18 dramatically improves the U18, then maybe it would be as good...
I have U18+C18 on X26 Pro, I honestly don't think a good DDC like DI-20HE can beat a clock. A clock on a digital system is very important, the C18 is not the best clock on the market already, but it is reasonably good for its price point. There are better clocks from Afterdark, but costing 2-3 times the price of C18.

Adding a clock is going to bring detail level and also expressions from vocals to the next level. I would rate the improvement of adding C18 as big an improvement (or even bigger in terms of details retrieval) as adding U18. The soundstage is 100% bigger compared to U18, and the detail levels are just high end level. Honestly, I am hearing detail level from X26 Pro comparable to dCS Rossini and Linn Klimax, of course that two costs much more and is able to produce more 'analog' feel compared to X26 Pro.

To sum up, DI-20HE alone is not going to be comparable to U18+C18.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #204 of 8,833
Hi ray12345
Great info being posted about the Gustard R26. Mine arrived yesterday and have been leaving on 24/7 to start burn in. I have tried USB direct with OTG adaptor from a Samsung S7 FE tablet using Amazon Music app just to get started and the result from cold on first switch on is very favourable. It is a big improvement on my old Chord Mojo much better soundstage and detail.

My question is how did you setup the Lan connection, I have Bubbleupnp on my tablet and it sees my DLNA server on the network to play NAS files but doesn’t see the Gustard as a renderer. Does the new firmware update need to be applied to get the Lan functionality working perhaps? I have made sure the Gustard source is set to LAN. Any help deeply appreciated.

I eventually want to get I2S working from Rpi3+Allo Isolator+Allo Kali as my serious streamer source but getting Amazon Music working on that setup may be an issue.
Switch the R26 into LAN mode and wait for it to boot (it runs Linux and takes about 10 seconds to boot). You will see PCM 44.1khz when first switched to LAN mode, it will display 24.x mhz DSD after booting. You will see Gustarender 1.2 in the renderer in BubbleuPNP afterwards.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #205 of 8,833
I have a question, although not R26 related. Using BubbleuPNP or MConnect via LAN to R26, how do one play DSD without resampling?

I can play DSD files to the R26, but it always gets resampled to either 192khz or 384khz PCM, I thought the specification says the LAN can play DSD directly?

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #206 of 8,833
I have U18+C18 on X26 Pro, I honestly don't think a good DDC like DI-20HE can beat a clock. A clock on a digital system is very important, the C18 is not the best clock on the market already, but it is reasonably good for its price point. There are better clocks from Afterdark, but costing 2-3 times the price of C18.

Adding a clock is going to bring detail level and also expressions from vocals to the next level. I would rate the improvement of adding C18 as big an improvement (or even bigger in terms of details retrieval) as adding U18. The soundstage is 100% bigger compared to U18, and the detail levels are just high end level. Honestly, I am hearing detail level from X26 Pro comparable to dCS Rossini and Linn Klimax, of course that two costs much more and is able to produce more 'analog' feel compared to X26 Pro.

To sum up, DI-20HE alone is not going to be comparable to U18+C18.
many praise the DI-20HE for it's regenerative power supply feature. Would a power conditioner serve a similar purpose? I just added a power conditioner to my audio chain. Perhaps, it's not a big loss to lose out on regenerative power supply assuming power conditioner accomplishes a similar result? I'm new to regenerators/conditioners, so looking for insight from those with more knowledge on the subjects. thanks!

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #207 of 8,833
many praise the DI-20HE for it's regenerative power supply feature. Would a power conditioner serve a similar purpose? I just added a power conditioner to my audio chain. Perhaps, it's not a big loss to lose out on regenerative power supply assuming power conditioner accomplishes a similar result? I'm new to regenerators/conditioners, so looking for insight from those with more knowledge on the subjects. thanks!
Power is the start of everything, of course power is important. The more analytic your system is, the more important good power is. Be wary on power conditioners though, most have their own benefit and disadvantage. Personally I would advice to listen carefully the effect of power conditioner on each equipment and use that on equipment only if it matches. I have two power slots, one without conditioning, and the other one connected to a power conditioner. I put different equipment in different power slots by trial and error, for example my DDC U18 and preamp is on non-conditioned power because they sound exaggerated with power conditioning. My other components are power conditioned.

Of course, each system is different and my setup is just for my system. On my other system which also uses DDC U18, I can put the DDC on power conditioning, but my power amp is not on power conditioning for that system, so it is all a mix and match. My experience is not to put all equipment on power conditioning, it may over-do the effects and lose the balance. There are also some conditioners that are more neutral and beneficial to sound overall, Audioquest Niagara is one of those, I put everything through Niagara on my other system.

There are also a lot of other power tweaks I have used that does affect sound in system. High Fidelity MC series and Nordost QK1 QV2 are 2 products that I will use on top of power conditioners to tweak sound, they are very useful for sound tuning, and they are relatively cheap second hand as well.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #209 of 8,833
so the U18 is only useful if you listen to music by computer (via usb)

Sep 9, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #210 of 8,833
I just found out that R26 streamer just runs Debian 11 "bullseye" under the hood! Also there's CH341 exposed on the same USB-C port used for f/w update which is just burning new preconfigured image. How did I found this? I tried to upgrade my streamer firmware on Linux and I found out that the file is just raw disk image and I can just access the partition!
P.S. How to upgrade streamer firmware on macOS/Linux:
1. Download and unzip the firmware.
2. run
Bash:
gzip -dc (path to firmware file) | sudo dd bs=4m of=/dev/(your R26 disk)
Don't forget to replace those placeholders with appropriate path!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back