GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #7,591 of 8,863
Well we had a brief power interruption yesterday, and when I got home the R26 wouldn't stream, and now doesn't even show up in Roon. I've rebooted everything in the chain, and the Gustard works fine with CDs and Roon is fine on other devices, so it's all pointing to the LAN circuit. I reflashed the 1.42 Gustarender FW, and no change. This sounds precisely like your situation yes Rock? I'm about to head downtown and buy a new 32GB card I guess. Are they the standard size or mini? And do I need to be concerned about the speed rating?
Sorry, been working on the house, missed your question. Glad you got your issue resolved, thanks to Dan!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #7,592 of 8,863
This worked Dan, thank you very much. I don't fully understand, or why this occured. I mean, we did have a power outtage but I don't understand how that messed up my system. Back in the saddle though, listening to Eastern Smiles by Hanna Paulsburg Group, it's a happy evening in Vermont.
Glad to hear you got it working thanks to @Dandoudou . Quick qn - so does this mean you use a bridged ethernet connection on the Mac Mini? If so, any tips, as I've tried this multiple times unsuccessfully... incl creating the 'virtual ethernet adaptor' in network settings per online Apple guidance.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #7,593 of 8,863
Glad to hear you got it working thanks to @Dandoudou . Quick qn - so does this mean you use a bridged ethernet connection on the Mac Mini? If so, any tips, as I've tried this multiple times unsuccessfully... incl creating the 'virtual ethernet adaptor' in network settings per online Apple guidance.
Hi @Jake2 , I believe he has a Mini with an Intel CPU. I can't do it, since I passed to a M1 Mini.
But maybe I'm wrong, and @BShaw has a solution to do it with a M1 Mac.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #7,594 of 8,863
Hi @Jake2 , I believe he has a Mini with an Intel CPU. I can't do it, since I passed to a M1 Mini.
But maybe I'm wrong, and @BShaw has a solution to do it with a M1 Mac.
Ah I see... I thought I read Mac Mini M1 in his sig... but now realise it was your sig.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #7,595 of 8,863
Ah I see... I thought I read Mac Mini M1 in his sig... but now realise it was your sig.
No bridged connection here, just straight from the router to the mini, and yes it's an Intel. I don't see any advantage to it in my case, very low use system. I will have a new switch soon though as soon as Gustard releases the N1!

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #7,599 of 8,863
I bought a Topping D70 Pro Octo. It has a huge potential with its eight CS43198 chips.
After two weeks of breaking-in, it sounds almost the same as the R26. The difference between the DACs is tiny, though I feed the Octo by its AES port, and the R26 by its I2S port. (Its USB input is also good).
After being tweaked, it should be a great upgrade over the R26, and over many other DACs, including the Teac UD-701N. I plan the replacement of its internal stock PSU by an external LPS. Additional upgrades will include the replacement of its capacitors, and possibly other components, such as its clocks.
This DIY project is too complex for me, and most of the upgrades will be done by a friend who is upgrading his own Octo.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #7,600 of 8,863
I bought a Topping D70 Pro Octo. It has a huge potential with its eight CS43198 chips.
After two weeks of breaking-in, it sounds almost the same as the R26. The difference between the DACs is tiny, though I feed the Octo by its AES port, and the R26 by its I2S port. (Its USB input is also good).
After being tweaked, it should be a great upgrade over the R26, and over many other DACs, including the Teac UD-701N. I plan the replacement of its internal stock PSU by an external LPS. Additional upgrades will include the replacement of its capacitors, and possibly other components, such as its clocks.
This DIY project is too complex for me, and most of the upgrades will be done by a friend who is upgrading his own Octo.
Hmm most intrigued by this... Can the Topping really hold up against the R26 - most interested to see what others think with direct comparisons over the coming months... Had the R26 on my hit list for a while now, but if the Topping is indeed comparable, it's soo much cheaper! Can it really compete with R2R??

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #7,601 of 8,863
I must have deleted the quote accidentally, but for the love of God, if you do buy a Mac Mini (or any Mac for that matter) please get 16 GB of RAM, since they are not upgradable. That will make the computer useful for at least a decade.

To implement a filter in Roon is necessary a PC with strong processing power like in HQPlayer? Sorry if is a question no sense. It's very new to me.

If you're using PCM up-sampling, it doesn't require much computer power. DSD up-sampling does, however.

I don't know why you'd bother spending money like that on a Topping. You can get a Chord Qutest second-hand for around $1k now, or a bit more, and it will wipe the floor with the Topping. You can even get a Hugo 2 for not much more, and with a good transport, you get a highly resolving headphone amp as well.

I do have a D70 Pro here for review, and the R26 is a bit fuller sounding, and the D70 a bit flatter (via USB).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #7,602 of 8,863
Deleted by OP.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #7,603 of 8,863
It’d be a giant killer of a giant killer if so… not sure what that’d make it. :thinking: (Noting the term is pretty meaningless…)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #7,604 of 8,863
Hmm most intrigued by this... Can the Topping really hold up against the R26 - most interested to see what others think with direct comparisons over the coming months... Had the R26 on my hit list for a while now, but if the Topping is indeed comparable, it's soo much cheaper! Can it really compete with R2R??
This Topping is interesting for its 8 chips, if you engage in a DIY project of upgrades that require solid competence.
It is more limited in connectors than the R26, and does not have the features of the R26. But purely as a DAC, without any upgrade,
it is very slightly inferior to the R26, after two weeks of breaking-in. The difference is negligible.
Replacing its internal PSU, as a first upgrade, by a good external LPS should put it well ahead of the R26.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #7,605 of 8,863
I don't know why you'd bother spending money like that on a Topping. You can get a Chord Qutest second-hand for around $1k now, or a bit more, and it will wipe the floor with the Topping.
I have a few DACs already, and do not need any second-hand one.
The upgrades of this octo chips DAC should bring it to a very high level.

EDIT
I never thought that I may buy a Topping one day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back