GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #6,466 of 8,863
Wifi extender >Cat8> first FMC> fiber>second FMC (powered by linear power supply)>Cat5/6 to R26
Cat5/6 should be used before the first FMC.
Cat8 should be used after the second FMC in order to minimize the RFI noise that enters to the LAN input of the R26.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #6,467 of 8,863
Cat5/6 should be used before the first FMC.
Cat8 should be used after the second FMC in order to minimize the RFI noise that enters to the LAN input of the R26.
Shielded Ethernet Cat5/6 cable should be doing the same job, I expect. We don't need the super-duper high transfer speed that Cat8 is able to carry.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #6,468 of 8,863
Shielded Ethernet Cat5/6 cable should be doing the same job, I expect. We don't need the super-duper high transfer speed that Cat8 is able to carry.
Hi Lars I don't think @Dandoudou is suggesting the extra speed of Cat 7/8 is what is needed, just that the super-duper shielding that enables those speeds is desirable/beneficial for the final step in the chain. The argument you'll hear for using unshielded twisted pair cat 5/6 rather than cat 7/8 is to guard against ground loops via the common ground of the shield, the assumption being it is unlikely they share a perfect common ground. If you've taken steps to ensure a common ground for ethernet connected devices, then I can't think why you wouldn't use cat 7/8 especially if you've gone to the trouble to clean up the ethernet signal chain via FMCs. Even if common ground is a grey area just try shielded vs UTP and see what you prefer. I had run with the cat 5/6 ground loop rationale for months then one day tried some spare Cat 7 that came with some KEF speakers - it was so much better I facepalmed myself at not trying it earlier. Needless to say ethernet's inherent galvanic isolation is imperfect and TCP/IP error correction doesn't address electrical noise so they don't obviate the potential noise-reduction benefits of shielding for the final ethernet connection, if they did there'd be no benefit to using FMCs either...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #6,469 of 8,863
@Jake2 gave you a detailed answer. I will add that the shielding of Cat7/8 cables is unnecessary before the first FMC, because the conversion of the DATA to optical will eliminate in any case the RFI noise. So, you can use there ordinary cat5/6 cables.
The shielding is useful only after the noise was removed (after the second FMC) to avoid new induced noise. You should not worry about ground loops if you plug the LPS that powers the second FMC on the same electrical strip as the R26, because they will share a common ground.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #6,471 of 8,863
Jun 14, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #6,472 of 8,863
I'm still abroad, far from home. But before travelling, I lent my R26 to a friend who has a UD-701N. He compared between the two DACs using their built-in streamer.
He invited two of his friends, and they listened together to the two DACs. They preferred the TEAC UD-701N. I'm not surprised, because when I listened to the UD-701N of my friend, I was very pleased by its sound.

But the R26 can do better with its I2S input. So, when I'll be back, I'm willing to compare the LAN input of the UD-701N versus my GentooPlayer/Diretta streaming setup > USB > AGD DI-20HE > I2S > R26.
I agree concerning the I2S input, I'm just waiting until the Allo Kali 22Mhz reclocker board becomes available so I can try this input, it's been on back order since Christmas!

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,473 of 8,863
Hi Lars I don't think @Dandoudou is suggesting the extra speed of Cat 7/8 is what is needed, just that the super-duper shielding that enables those speeds is desirable/beneficial for the final step in the chain. The argument you'll hear for using unshielded twisted pair cat 5/6 rather than cat 7/8 is to guard against ground loops via the common ground of the shield, the assumption being it is unlikely they share a perfect common ground. If you've taken steps to ensure a common ground for ethernet connected devices, then I can't think why you wouldn't use cat 7/8 especially if you've gone to the trouble to clean up the ethernet signal chain via FMCs. Even if common ground is a grey area just try shielded vs UTP and see what you prefer. I had run with the cat 5/6 ground loop rationale for months then one day tried some spare Cat 7 that came with some KEF speakers - it was so much better I facepalmed myself at not trying it earlier. Needless to say ethernet's inherent galvanic isolation is imperfect and TCP/IP error correction doesn't address electrical noise so they don't obviate the potential noise-reduction benefits of shielding for the final ethernet connection, if they did there'd be no benefit to using FMCs either...
My point is using SHIELDED Cat5/6 cable between the 2nd FMC and the R26 should be sufficient. Regular Cat5/6 is unshielded, but I plan using a shielded one I already have. Audio, even hi res, doesn't require the speed that Cat8 can provide, but I understand that these are natively shielded.

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #6,474 of 8,863
If I follow the 1st post suggestions, and I live in US, and I want to keep cost down...please let me know if the below list works.
Note: I have my Gustard R26 connected to my Wifi Mesh Unit currently. So I think the concept would be, the signal from the Mesh unit could be "dirty" and this would clean it up for optimal sound. Here are the products:

1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09P8DN3HJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2WW81I15Z72MC&psc=1
2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PTTWT1F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AE2OZG2NN3099&psc=1
3) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRS6PLT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2XP9NZHWEM1R7&psc=1
4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZUDXMK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2OKSEIX7OEK0B&psc=1
5) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKVHLRSJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2WC0H630DY40C&psc=1

Does that list look correct to everyone? Not even sure how it all connects together and if I would be buying anything unnecessarily. Thoughts? I appreciate it!

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #6,475 of 8,863
My point is using SHIELDED Cat5/6 cable between the 2nd FMC and the R26 should be sufficient. Regular Cat5/6 is unshielded, but I plan using a shielded one I already have. Audio, even hi res, doesn't require the speed that Cat8 can provide, but I understand that these are natively shielded.
If you already have a shielded Ethernet cable, there's no reason to not use it. But not all the shielded cables are equal for the sound. On the clean side, you need a single Ethernet cable to connect the FMC to the R26. So, I would advise you to use a good one. This model is a good value for its price:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ethe...ethernet-cable-high-end-cat-7-1m-p-12173.html

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #6,476 of 8,863
If you already have a shielded Ethernet cable, there's no reason to not use it. But not all the shielded cables are equal for the sound. On the clean side, you need a single Ethernet cable to connect the FMC to the R26. So, I would advise you to use a good one. This model is a good value for its price:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ethe...ethernet-cable-high-end-cat-7-1m-p-12173.html
And supposedly, so is this, if at a slightly higher price point. It’s been sitting in my Audiophonics shopping cart with a bunch of other stuff for months. Much cheaper that way I find. 😅

I’m a fan of Neotech OCC after my experience with a Harmonic Tech clock cable that uses their copper OCC conductors (shout out once again to @camrector for the official OCC intel) and others who’ve diy’ed cables with their silver OCC.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ethe...rnet-rj45-cable-up-occ-silver-1m-p-15058.html

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #6,477 of 8,863
And supposedly, so is this, if at a slightly higher price point. It’s been sitting in my Audiophonics shopping cart with a bunch of other stuff for months. Much cheaper that way I find. 😅

I’m a fan of Neotech OCC after my experience with a Harmonic Tech clock cable that uses their copper OCC conductors (shout out once again to @camrector for the official OCC intel) and others who’ve diy’ed cables with their silver OCC.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ethe...rnet-rj45-cable-up-occ-silver-1m-p-15058.html
I’m debating getting that cable and cutting it in half and making 2 1.5ft cables. Lol.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #6,478 of 8,863
In my experience, shielding of any kind be it on power cables, rca, ethernet or usb makes the sound flatter and 'closed in'. The only place I use shielding is inside the server. Shielding in audio in my humble opinion is overrated. I found out the hard way! I made all my cables with shielding and then ended up redoing them without.
I am currently making all my cables using the helix image and the results are phenomenal.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #6,479 of 8,863
In my experience, shielding of any kind be it on power cables, rca, ethernet or usb makes the sound flatter and 'closed in'. The only place I use shielding is inside the server. Shielding in audio in my humble opinion is overrated. I found out the hard way! I made all my cables with shielding and then ended up redoing them without.
I am currently making all my cables using the helix image and the results are phenomenal.
Myself and @BShaw are huge proponents of the helix image cable design. Speaker cables and ICs.
I’m about to attempt a power cable too.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #6,480 of 8,863
@Luvdac & @camrector do you guys both mean full Litz -style cables with each strand individually coated so as to minimise the impact of skin effect, then braided into a larger strand which tis then braided with a couple of other larger strands? Or some variant thereof if not full Litz? They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back