GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #6,496 of 8,863
Streamer A26 has a different partitioning system than R26. I'm not sure if it will work on the R26 firmware, he can try. If it doesn't work, he can upload the original to A26. Unfortunately, to add TIDAL to the A26 firmware, I would have to physically have the device at home.
Great to hear from you wikaudio! Ya, I never thought about the R to A conflict...opps, but like you say sebiambrus could try...thanks!

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #6,497 of 8,863
Here is a photo of my first prototype usb cable in helix image. The two digital conductors in the central helix are pure quarter inch ribbon silver ( courtesy your friendly jeweller). No silicone or shrink wrap here, just wrapped in plumbers tape and sheathed in cotton. The black wire spiral ( in teflon tubing) is the power negative and last outer wire is the positive power.
In subsequent builds i used half inch wide silver ribbons for the digital signals and a closely wound negative (power) out of 14 gauge solid core copper of the type used in transformers. Cheap!. For the gustard r26 I left out the + power cable.

Suffice to say I got rid of my upwards of 600£ branded cable.
The only thing of any real expense in this cable is the silver. The connectors need to be the cheapo screw terminals type ( to accommodate the ribbon/thick gauge wires, so no soldering skills required). Early on I thought they would be a detriment to the sound, but the end result is simply astonishing.
Did you follow a recipe from some other source? How did you get the helix shape?

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #6,499 of 8,863
I´m just received my R26 and it is my second R2R DAC. The firs was a Denafrips Venus II.
After a long time reading this thread I decide finally do the movement and in just some hours of listening the R26 was a big and positive surprise for me in OOTB state.
I will wait the burning fase and implement some of the advises posted here to increment the SQ.
Using LAN Roon for now.
I will try I2S with a Rpi3+PI2AES too.

WIFI extender and FMC implement too with very good result (before the R26 coming).

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #6,500 of 8,863
Jun 15, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #6,501 of 8,863
1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09P8DN3HJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2WW81I15Z72MC&psc=1 - Page not found, so not sure.
2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PTTWT1F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AE2OZG2NN3099&psc=1 - Not sure about this cable, depends on the FMC's.
3) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRS6PLT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2XP9NZHWEM1R7&psc=1 - This is correct.
4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZUDXMK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2OKSEIX7OEK0B&psc=1 - If you get one, put it on the clean side (FMC), or get two cables and you can power the dirty side as well.
5) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKVHLRSJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2WC0H630DY40C&psc=1 - This is 1.5 feet long, 6" would be better.

If you're in the US, see my post #6458 on page 431 for the other items that match up on Amazon.
Thanks for your suggestions! Looks like I have a possible good list of US products with your listings and some of mine. And I found a 0.5 ft ethernet cat8 so that should work well. I decided not to get the power supply or those cables as it looks like it was different voltage than the items you suggested. I didn't want any conflicts. So maybe I'll get a power supply later if I think it's necessary.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #6,502 of 8,863
@DeckHiFi

It seems your listing on your previous post are good to me..
Do suggest get the Topping P50 as listed. Your FMC (if you have read the specs) is 5V 1A (like mine). And the P50 has two outlets of those (in USB form).

Or some Jameco Reliapro 5V adapter (less expensive, two of those).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #6,503 of 8,863
@DeckHiFi

It seems your listing on your previous post are good to me..
Do suggest get the Topping P50 as listed. Your FMC (if you have read the specs) is 5V 1A (like mine). And the P50 has two outlets of those (in USB form).

Or some Jameco Reliapro 5V adapter (less expensive, two of those).
I appreciate it. I tried to copy your listings but find the US versions as much as I could. Appreciate it, I'll do it up..I'm taking the plunge. The only thing I had to really look for was a Cat8 0.5 ft cable but I found one. So that's the one change I'm making to my list.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #6,504 of 8,863
I ask Srbo from iiWi Reviews on Youtube, who was a big proponent of the R26 when he reviewed it, at least the DAC section. With all the streamers he's been reviewing lately, what his thoughts were on the renderer in the R26 and how it compared to some of his recent streamers he's reviewed. His response is pasted here below:

"Renderer inside the R26 and A26 is really good but it's kinda on analytical side of things, lacking just a bit richness and tone timbre. Because of that I preferred using it with external streamer. On the other hand, the DAC part is so good and thanks to that it can easily pull ahead of Pulse Mini and DMP-A6 as a whole device"

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #6,506 of 8,863
I ask Srbo from iiWi Reviews on Youtube, who was a big proponent of the R26 when he reviewed it, at least the DAC section. With all the streamers he's been reviewing lately, what his thoughts were on the renderer in the R26 and how it compared to some of his recent streamers he's reviewed. His response is pasted here below:

"Renderer inside the R26 and A26 is really good but it's kinda on analytical side of things, lacking just a bit richness and tone timbre. Because of that I preferred using it with external streamer. On the other hand, the DAC part is so good and thanks to that it can easily pull ahead of Pulse Mini and DMP-A6 as a whole device"
I like Srbo, he's an excellent reviewer. I've not been keeping up with his channel of late, what's his favoured streamer at the mo?

Jun 17, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #6,507 of 8,863
I like Srbo, he's an excellent reviewer. I've not been keeping up with his channel of late, what's his favoured streamer at the mo?
Yes, I really like him. He's leaning heavily towards the Eversolo DMP-A6 (as are many other reviewers these days). With his recently reviewed Innuos Pulse Mini running close behind.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #6,508 of 8,863
Further to Srbo's comments on my R26 question a youtuber named @closereveryday commented: "R26 has HQ Player integrated" This is something I did not know. I have heard HQ Player is the Cat's Meow from many of you here, but I am not familiar with it myself. It looks kinda technical for me, maybe one day though?

@closereveryday goes on to say to Srbo, regarding his take on the R26 renderer sounding "analytical side of things, lacking just a bit richness and tone timbre"
this:

"there's an adjustment in HQ Player that fixes your complaint about sound most of the streaming needs an adjustment in the lowering of its digital volume) some do a 3db drop check box other have to be done manually"

Interesting...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #6,509 of 8,863
Further to Srbo's comments on my R26 question a youtuber named @closereveryday commented: "R26 has HQ Player integrated" This is something I did not know. I have heard HQ Player is the Cat's Meow from many of you here, but I am not familiar with it myself. It looks kinda technical for me, maybe one day though?

@closereveryday goes on to say to Srbo, regarding his take on the R26 renderer sounding "analytical side of things, lacking just a bit richness and tone timbre"
this:

"there's an adjustment in HQ Player that fixes your complaint about sound most of the streaming needs an adjustment in the lowering of its digital volume) some do a 3db drop check box other have to be done manually"

Interesting...
HQ player isn’t “integrated” or built into the R26. You need a separate computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back