GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jun 3, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #6,346 of 8,818
Simon was saying he had hoped for the sleep button problem to be sorted this weekend.
Simon also said that the Ham radio guys had also mentioned the sleep button problem to him
He was wondering why I/we were using the LB clock with 2 outputs, what I got from him is, we should be using the mini version with single output.
I actually looked into the Mini,and l believe it doesn't offer any Sleep option at all, at least from the screen shots on the site.
l presume the Sleep button will be an change in a software option?

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #6,347 of 8,818
Initial listening impressions versus Audio-gd Reference 7.1:

I have now had my R26 for a few days. It has been turned on all the time and playing music almost 24 hours a day. At first, it sounded really thin (lack of bass and lower mids), but after a couple of days with constant playback, I am convinced that "burn-in" of (the analog section of) a DAC is real. After about 100 hours of burn-in, it still sounds thinner than my Audio-gd Reference 7.1 (Burr-Brown PCM1704U-K) R2R DAC, which (in other words) has more weight to the bass and kick drums.

What's more surprising, is that after 100 hours, the R26 doesn't outperform the Ref 7.1 DAC in terms of resolution or detail retrieval. This is true even when using the LAN input on the R26, while the Ref 7.1 is feeded by my (modded) Squeezebox Touch to its BNC input. On paper, the Ref 7.1 shouldn't be able to hold a candle regarding jitter compared to the 12 years younger DAC, but in practice details and resolution is close, if not even.

These listening tests were done with (modded) HE-6 to my headamps, including Audio-gd Master 6; Ref 7.1 using ACSS connection, while R26 using XLR, so both are performing at their best.

- - -

Regarding the IC op-amp debate:
Seeing an IC op-amp in the output stage does not mean that we can conclude that there is an IC op-amp in the audio path.
The huge and 15 Kg heavy Ref 7.1 is a good example of that. Here's what the designer says about it:
"Fully discrete amp without any OPAs (the OPAs only for DC serve)".
In other words, yes, there may be IC op-amps, but they are not in the audio path.
Thanks for your considered impressions, the Ref 7.1 sounds like an impressive DAC.

Coincidentally over on StereoNet (Aus forum) a comparison to the R7HE MKII was recently shared, by the owner of the Audio-Gd against his friend’s well run-in R26, not surprisingly concluding the former was all round sonically better at 3x the cost but he was impressed and surprised at how close the R26 performed. https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/569592-gustard-r26-–-owners-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6194475

From my experience the ‘stock’ Gustard R26 responds particularly enthusiastically to tweaks that reduce noise or otherwise reduce jitter to which I suspect it may be more sensitive or vulnerable than average - cleaner power, better mains grounding, signal grounding, cleaner ethernet and last but not least external clocking. I expect that even with these tweaks the Gustard’s sound signature would be a bit different to Audio-gd DACs, however I would just say the resolution and dynamics of my R26 and system now are a far cry from when I first used it. It would be an interesting comparison to an Audio-Gd R8 MKII with similar tweaks.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #6,348 of 8,818
For reference (sic!), here is the right channel of the Ref 7.1. As we can see, there are in fact ICs near the analog outputs, just like we see in the R26. I think we can assume that those in the Gustard DAC are there for the same purpose as those in the Audio-gd DAC (DC servo).
20230603_230851.jpg
To be fair, the r26 needs about 4-5 weeks.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #6,350 of 8,818
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing an R26 to replace my small A18. Should be a considerable upgrade of course.
What I'm confused about is the NOS mode.
Most reviewers fail to write in which mode they tested the unit.
My favorite and main format being still the good old CD ( played through an Audiolab CD transport via the SPDIF coax output, and passing through an iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier 2) should I use OS mode or NOS mode? Does NOS mode work better with higher resolution formats? Wouldn't a 44.1KHz red book file be somewhat problematic in NOS mode?

thanks

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #6,351 of 8,818
What's more surprising, is that after 100 hours, the R26 doesn't outperform the Ref 7.1 DAC in terms of resolution or detail retrieval. This is true even when using the LAN input on the R26, while the Ref 7.1 is feeded by my (modded) Squeezebox Touch to its BNC input. On paper, the Ref 7.1 shouldn't be able to hold a candle regarding jitter compared to the 12 years younger DAC, but in practice details and resolution is close, if not even.

The PCM1704-UK chips are laser trimmed R2R. The R26 ladder is not in the same league. Its not about jitter. Its about linearity of the ladder, power stabilization and output stage.

Dont sell the Audio-gd 7.1.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #6,352 of 8,818
The PCM1704-UK chips are laser trimmed R2R. The R26 ladder is not in the same league. Its not about jitter. Its about linearity of the ladder, power stabilization and output stage.

Sure. It can be upgraded with some R-7 ~2020 components, but not to the current model HE-7Mk2. I think it will add USB, I2S (HDMI) and new DSP board. Kingwa will provide details.

PCM1704—UK chips with modern electronics are still there. :)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #6,353 of 8,818

I had that intention, but at the moment I think I will keep it. To be honest, I expected the R26 to really stand out in terms of resolution and details over the Ref 7.1, considering the advance in digital audio reproduction technology and the reviews and comments I have read. That said, I have only had the R26 for a few days and haven't compared with speakers and with classical music where the R26 may (or should) outperform the Ref 7.1.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #6,354 of 8,818
Simon was saying he had hoped for the sleep button problem to be sorted this weekend.
Simon also said that the Ham radio guys had also mentioned the sleep button problem to him
He was wondering why I/we were using the LB clock with 2 outputs, what I got from him is, we should be using the mini version with single output.
Sleep button on the Mac software was sorted weeks ago I posted to say this and said how much I was impressed about how quickly it was addressed, it may have been on the TAS forum.......

Anyway the fact these LB guys sorted a request, for adding a feature, I did email Simon requesting it, is very impressive....
I had that intention, but at the moment I think I will keep it. Top be honest, I expected the R26 to really stand out in terms of resolution and details over the Ref 7.1, considering the advance in digital audio reproduction technology and the reviews and comments I have read. That said, I have only had the R26 for a few days and haven't compared with speakers and with classical music where the R26 may (or should) outperform the Ref 7.1.
I can't state how much importance there is to letting the components within the R26, to 'burn in' to allow the full potential of this remarkable DAC. Give it a chance, and there is so much that can be done to make it better...

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #6,355 of 8,818
I'm running JRiver Media Center to send the audio through the LAN port. For PCM files, everything is good. However, when I send a dsf file through the Ethernet, the display shows PCM no matter if I enable or disable the DSD Direct. Can someone help me?

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #6,356 of 8,818
Check your JRiver settings too..especially your Bitstreaming options.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #6,357 of 8,818
Selecting one only of the two outputs of the Leo Bodnar clock to drive the R26 results in the other one flashing its red led. Can someone please confirm that the circuit causing the flashing does not itself create some nuisance to the signal?

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #6,358 of 8,818
Selecting one only of the two outputs of the Leo Bodnar clock to drive the R26 results in the other one flashing its red led. Can someone please confirm that the circuit causing the flashing does not itself create some nuisance to the signal?
Just ensure that the second BNC output is deselected on the control app to deactivate the signal. It's unfortunate that the second BNC led does flash showing an unlocked GPS state, rather than be left off completely.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6,359 of 8,818
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing an R26 to replace my small A18. Should be a considerable upgrade of course.
What I'm confused about is the NOS mode.
Most reviewers fail to write in which mode they tested the unit.
My favorite and main format being still the good old CD ( played through an Audiolab CD transport via the SPDIF coax output, and passing through an iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier 2) should I use OS mode or NOS mode? Does NOS mode work better with higher resolution formats? Wouldn't a 44.1KHz red book file be somewhat problematic in NOS mode?

thanks
Most people here prefer OS mode. I prefer NOS mode. Because the stage is more tangible, everything is somehow in its place. With OS mode, the stage is more forward and the ambience is less audible. It's as if the sounds are coming from somewhere, without having the feeling that instruments are there. The advantage of OS is that the bass is better defined. But that is not a sufficient reason for me, a convincing stage means more to me. I'm talking about PCM.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #6,360 of 8,818
I haven't been on this forum for a long time. Any new software updates? Is UPnP fixed? My last upgrade was as soon as they increased the letters on the display.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back