GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jun 5, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #6,361 of 8,833
I can't state how much importance there is to letting the components within the R26, to 'burn in' to allow the full potential of this remarkable DAC. Give it a chance, and there is so much that can be done to make it better...
As I said, I feel confident that I have heard burn-in already in the R26, and I can add that today, the R26 appears to begin approaching the Ref 7.1 regarding the amount of bass, even though it still has slightly less. Sub bass slam is about the same level as the Ref 7.1, but mid-bass level is a bit lower. For instance, the bass line in The B-52's: "Cosmic Thing" is less apparent. The R26 is still being fed with music signal almost 24 hours a day.

Today I finally heard better resolution from the R26 (than the Audio-gd Ref 7.1). The difference is on the one hand somewhat notable, but on the other hand subtle. Some of the difference sounds (subjectively) like the Ref 7.1 has slightly less upper mids and treble; a rounded off top end, but most likely not a rolled off treble as such.

Whether that extra perceived resolution is caused by additional burn-in or that the tracks I played today are more revealing, I don't know. Perhaps it's a combination. Anyway, this is encouraging and suggests that I should continue with 24/7 playback.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #6,362 of 8,833
Check your JRiver settings too..especially your Bitstreaming options.
When I click on Options -> Audio, I get the message : "Configure audio using Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers...". Then when I clicked on Media Network > Add of configure DLNA servers ..." I have an option called Audio where I can choose between Mode: Original, Mode: Specified Output Format, or Mode: Specified Output Format only when necessary. When I choose Mode: Original, the output is PCM; when I choose Mode: Specified Output Format and specify Format: DSF, it still shows PCM on the R26 panel. I have seen on some website a panel with Bitstreaming options, but I cannot just cannot find it.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #6,363 of 8,833
As I said, I feel confident that I have heard burn-in already in the R26, and I can add that today, the R26 appears to begin approaching the Ref 7.1 regarding the amount of bass, even though it still has slightly less. Sub bass slam is about the same level as the Ref 7.1, but mid-bass sounds has a bit less level. The bass line is less apparent. The R26 is still being fed with music signal almost 24 hours a day.

Today I finally heard better resolution from the R26 (than the Audio-gd Ref 7.1). The difference is on the one hand somewhat notable, but on the other hand subtle. Some of the difference sounds (subjectively) like the Ref 7.1 has slightly less upper mids and treble; a rounded off top end, but most likely not a rolled off treble as such.

Whether that is caused by the additional burn-in or that the tracks I played today are more revealing, I don't know. Perhaps it's a combination. Anyway, this is encouraging and suggests that I should continue with 24/7 playback.
A di20he or other great spdif source could boost the perf of your ref7.1.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #6,364 of 8,833
1. Under Media Network > Add of configure DLNA servers, choose Mode: Original. Output is NOT PCM but greyed out (could choose option, since its "original")
2. To have support for DSD under Audio > Bitsreaming choose DSD (if you have upto DSD512 materials)

Screenshot 2023-06-05 221155.png

OR Custom (If you more than DSD512 materials)
Screenshot 2023-06-05 221305.png

And in the custom options choose DSD512
Screenshot 2023-06-05 235312.png

Why DSD512? Because R26 could support streaming upto DSD512.

Edit: Since R26 streaming supports DSD512. Forgot thought it was DSD256.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-05 221349.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 221349.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #6,365 of 8,833
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #6,366 of 8,833
He also can use his DI-20 with the R26, like I'm doing.
@LarsHP , from my experience, the R26 needs at least one month of burn-in.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #6,367 of 8,833
Sleep button on the Mac software was sorted weeks ago I posted to say this and said how much I was impressed about how quickly it was addressed, it may have been on the TAS forum.......

Anyway the fact these LB guys sorted a request, for adding a feature, I did email Simon requesting it, is very impressive....

I can't state how much importance there is to letting the components within the R26, to 'burn in' to allow the full potential of this remarkable DAC. Give it a chance, and there is so much that can be done to make it better...
Rod l believe, the Sleep button issue they are looking into is ,is the ability for it to stay in Sleep mode after powering the LB down, so you don't have to use your Mac or PC everytime you switch it on. l don't know how this will be done, but adding a Wake button in the software would work..Just a thought...but at this stage we can only hope.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #6,368 of 8,833
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #6,369 of 8,833
Most people here prefer OS mode. I prefer NOS mode. Because the stage is more tangible, everything is somehow in its place. With OS mode, the stage is more forward and the ambience is less audible. It's as if the sounds are coming from somewhere, without having the feeling that instruments are there. The advantage of OS is that the bass is better defined. But that is not a sufficient reason for me, a convincing stage means more to me. I'm talking about PCM.
NOS on all the time for my listening pleasure, I always thought this was the preferred selection on the R26 on this forum. I was a convert years ago when using the Philips TDA1541A in no oversampling mode (bypassing the adjoining OS filter chip) - what a difference for the better.
The R26 benefits in the same way, the sound is more realistic and musically coherent with NOS. I too am talking whilst using PCM.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #6,370 of 8,833
Rod l believe, the Sleep button issue they are looking into is ,is the ability for it to stay in Sleep mode after powering the LB down, so you don't have to use your Mac or PC everytime you switch it on. l don't know how this will be done, but adding a Wake button in the software would work..Just a thought...but at this stage we can only hope.
Oh, OK, that makes sense now, I was referring to the sleep button being added to the Mac app, it was omitted originally but present on the PC version of the app. A wake button would be good.

I have noticed that whilst using the LB for extended periods, days or rather weeks that the clock can unlock by itself and the red LED can start flashing. It then requires to be restarted for the Mac or PC to re-sync the clock signal with a GPS. Because of this I have added a raw fibre optic cable from the shielded box inside the R26 and fed it through the rear panel BNC hole so I have an indicator for the state of clock lock. Needs a pic....

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #6,371 of 8,833
Oh, OK, that makes sense now, I was referring to the sleep button being added to the Mac app, it was omitted originally but present on the PC version of the app. A wake button would be good.

I have noticed that whilst using the LB for extended periods, days or rather weeks that the clock can unlock by itself and the red LED can start flashing. It then requires to be restarted for the Mac or PC to re-sync the clock signal with a GPS. Because of this I have added a raw fibre optic cable from the shielded box inside the R26 and fed it through the rear panel BNC hole so I have an indicator for the state of clock lock. Needs a pic....
lnteresting Rod,can't say l had the same issue with it unlocking, if anything..my issue is forgetting to put into Sleep Mode. Anyway...we had a reply on TAS in regards to the Sleep issue, LB are working on it, and a post will be added when completed, so hopefully not too long.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #6,372 of 8,833
lnteresting Rod,can't say l had the same issue with it unlocking, if anything..my issue is forgetting to put into Sleep Mode. Anyway...we had a reply on TAS in regards to the Sleep issue, LB are working on it, and a post will be added when completed, so hopefully not too long.
The unlocking (defined by flashing red LED to output 1) is preceded by the sound, of the track being played, changing pitch slightly, most odd, the effect can be duplicated by unplugging the clock BNC cable and the R26 internal clock taking over. The LB clock needs a new GPS lock signal to carry on correctly.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #6,373 of 8,833
Maybe. The modified SB Touch is not bad, but not up to todays standards. However, I think the internal digital section (before the signal reaches the DAC chips) is the bottleneck. In other words, I'm afraid that adding a TOTL digital bridge won't help, or make little difference.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #6,374 of 8,833
The unlocking (defined by flashing red LED to output 1) is preceded by the sound, of the track being played, changing pitch slightly, most odd, the effect can be duplicated by unplugging the clock BNC cable and the R26 internal clock taking over. The LB clock needs a new GPS lock signal to carry on correctly.
The only time l experienced that,was l just lashed up the GPS antenna,without thought,since then it's be stuck on my window, and connects instantly,and has been rock solid. Hope you get it resolved !

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #6,375 of 8,833
The only time l experienced that,was l just lashed up the GPS antenna,without thought,since then it's be stuck on my window, and connects instantly,and has been rock solid. Hope you get it resolved !
I only get a satellite lock after many minutes or even half an hour depending on time of day, my listening room is below ground and the GPS antenna wire at 3m only allows a partial reach to the only window (about 4m away) This is the cause of the issue of the GPS unlocking I'm sure. An antenna extension cable with SMA male - SMA female connectors would sort it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back