GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #6,317 of 8,833
Progress Report Leo Bodnar clock inside R26 - full shield around PCB

I did add another piece of aluminium tape directly under the LB clock chip before trying the full wrap, seemed to tidy the sound further. (see first pic)

I made up the full sleeve shield using 0.5mm card with aluminium tape adhered to one side and wrapped around edges. This was Lidl beer six pack packaging, no expense spared, seriously though, it's good quality strong board with a printed side which enables the tape to be peeled off if you make a mistake).
Size of shield was 84.5x51mm x2 top and bottom, 15x84.5mm x2 sides.
LB machined end plates were used as templates before getting a scalpel out to cut the holes, and the card was trimmed to size after cutting all the apertures to 16x 51mm before wrapping with aluminium tape. I used the same principle of construction as the LB PCB Ali extrusion and relied on the clamping nuts on the BNCs and antenna to secure the ends. This way the PCB is completely wrapped in shielding and reasonably easily slid out once one end is released by unscrewing the nut/s.

Just so we are clear, the reason I have to make a new shield from scratch, the LB supplied sleeve in extruded aluminium is just too tall to get into the R26. (Available height in the area above the clocks' motherboard connection is just 19mm not 23mm - LB finished product)

On first listen there wasn't a huge difference, this may be because I'd already applied direct shielding cup on top of the LB clock chip and then below as well as the damping pad adhered onto the clock chip and that's given the lion share of any perceivable improvement. These mods was left in place under the full wrap.

If anything I'd say the sound was slightly more solid.

I have to give it a few days listen now to do the mod justice and listen to the usual suspects.....

On a footnote, I don't think mentioned, I did try a very good audio LPS on the LB, one from an Avondale Preamp which I had to use a buck convertor to ramp down the DC output to 7.5v from 18v, which isn't ideal, but sure enough with a more audio refined power supply, (Les W uses many tricks of his trade to gain better sound) there was more solidity to the sound, you were more drawn into what was being presented, it was subtle but you hear the difference when the ZeroZone is put back in. However, these Avondale LPS's aren't available off the shelf, if they were they would be pricey. I would still say that the LB is not that fussy over power unlike other components can be.
I just wanted to hear the difference that a really well designed audio LPS can make.

I might try a SMPS!
Excellent work Rodders, reference the psu, your experience is matching mine, l was surprised to find that the LB isn't that fussy with PSUs.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #6,318 of 8,833
Omg 🤣😂
I had to contact Gustard because you refused to believe the mountain of proof I showed you.
We don’t need to go back I hope.
Hehehe... Gustard guys were constantly changing their minds with every your letter, trying to guess what customer expected to hear. Never seen such a vendor with lack of the authoritative position. And now we know they were lying to you.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #6,319 of 8,833
[
Excellent work Rodders, reference the psu, your experience is matching mine, l was surprised to find that the LB isn't that fussy with PSUs.
+1 Yes, nice work @rodthebod . Always enjoy reading your DIY adventures.

Btw I should share my experience with your brass and carbon fiber isolators with the group here... similarly impressed as @BShaw

Finally picked up the carbon fibre isolators from the Post Office over the other side of town. They're physically smaller than I'd envisaged, to the extent I wondered if some parts had fallen out in transit. Their diminutive size belies their potency, as their effect on the sound is bigger than I had contemplated. I just tried them under my OCK-2 clock so far and the effect is not a subtle one - the sound is fuller with nice flow and tempo incl juicier and more punchy basslines, vocals are sweeter and smoother whilst stringed instruments sound more natural with great timbre and richness. Very impressive indeed, as I know how hard fought even minor gains can be, and the improvement they bring is not at all minor. Thank-you for sharing them with me! Just some first impressions for you, I look forward to trying them under other components...

I will as you suggest try them under other components, like the DAC and amp.

20230602_130541.jpg (LB for scale)

Btw I continue to have the LB running & burning in, but need to get an adaptor so I can use it with one of my 9 or 12v supplies rather than just the Topping 5v one I've used so far. Maybe this long weekend, King's Birthday here (yes, I'm still getting used to the term).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #6,320 of 8,833
Hehehe... Gustard guys were constantly changing their minds with every your letter, trying to guess what customer expected to hear. Never seen such a vendor with lack of the authoritative position. And now we know they were lying to you.
What are you even talking about?!?
You are the only person on the planet that believes the R26 uses a multibit Dsd Dac . It’s kinda weird honestly.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #6,321 of 8,833
What are you even talking about?!?
You are the only person on the planet that believes the R26 uses a multibit Dsd Dac . It’s kinda weird honestly.
Honestly? Even after proving their lie?

I had my own interpretation on the initial version of a poor translation and wanted to present details having engineering education on this subject. However due to the frontal attack, I decided keeping for myself. Sorry, guys, but it is a truth. I thought you were ordinary trolls, poor marketing dogs. Honestly.

Recently on the other thread someone have expressed in the act of desperation, that he/she trusted the reviewer and some unnamed Gustard engineer more than anyone else and didn't want a secondary opinion. That was changing my opinion, so I decided to share with you my other findings.

I also know that @Currawong was wrong on the second issue. Apparently a place he had identified as DSD ladder on the main board serve a different purpose and I have an idea what it could be... Gustard also initially wrote that there were not using dedicated DSD ladder, but R2R ladder. My opinion on that is as follows, listen carefully: there is a multibit DSD ladder on the DAC board, but it didn't work well, they perhaps resorted to 1-bit solution as a backup, hence all this confusion.

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #6,322 of 8,833
[

Btw I should share my experience with your brass and carbon fiber isolators with the group here... similarly impressed as @BShaw

Finally picked up the carbon fibre isolators from the Post Office over the other side of town. They're physically smaller than I'd envisaged, to the extent I wondered if some parts had fallen out in transit. Their diminutive size belies their potency, as their effect on the sound is bigger than I had contemplated. I just tried them under my OCK-2 clock so far and the effect is not a subtle one - the sound is fuller with nice flow and tempo incl juicier and more punchy basslines, vocals are sweeter and smoother whilst stringed instruments sound more natural with great timbre and richness. Very impressive indeed, as I know how hard fought even minor gains can be, and the improvement they bring is not at all minor. Thank-you for sharing them with me! Just some first impressions for you, I look forward to trying them under other components...

20230602_130541.jpg (LB for scale)

Btw I continue to have the LB running & burning in, but need to get an adaptor so I can use it with one of my 9 or 12v supplies rather than just the Topping 5v one I've used so far. Maybe this long weekend, King's Birthday here (yes, I'm still getting used to the term).
lnteresting Jake...You and Rodders are on 🔥

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #6,323 of 8,833
Wondered what the smell was!

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #6,324 of 8,833
[

(LB for scale)

Latest on using LB inside R26, placing a small amount of conductive tape over the end of the unused BNC seems to tidy the sound, I used some aluminium tape but faraday or copper would work. The system is sounding the best I've heard so far, I'm revisiting old tracks and albums and hearing things never experienced before, the arrangement of tracks is far more evident and highly enjoyable.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #6,325 of 8,833
Latest on using LB inside R26, placing a small amount of conductive tape over the end of the unused BNC seems to tidy the sound, I used some aluminium tape but faraday or copper would work. The system is sounding the best I've heard so far, I'm revisiting old tracks and albums and hearing things never experienced before, the arrangement of tracks is far more evident and highly enjoyable.

I'm glad you tried this Rod, as I saw your pic of the LB in what is a very high RFI environ inside the R26 (per my measurements) and thought the same thing re shielding the BNC output. If I were you I would try wrapping the entire BNC junction of the in use cable plug/socket too.

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #6,326 of 8,833
I'm glad you tried this Rod, as I saw your pic of the LB in what is a very high RFI environ inside the R26 (per my measurements) and thought the same thing re shielding the BNC output. If I were you I would try wrapping the entire BNC junction of the in use cable plug/socket too.
2nd that Jake, John and myself have done this on a lot on our audio and psu leads,and it's surprising how much leaks in and out of any connectors

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #6,329 of 8,833
Bro, it's on the "other" forum...🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back