GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #4,771 of 8,893
Yes, now you can turn-off the display completely as well as the power button. I love this new feature!
Beside of that there are no new features.

The update process is a bit different but it is well documented.

Step 1
Turn off the DAC at the back (but leave the power cord connected )

Step 3
Start the firmware update program

Step 2
Connect the USB-C port to you pc

Step 4
Hit the "click here" button on the left corner

Step 5
Turn the DAC on at the back

Step 6
Wait a few seconds until the update progress is completed
Finally! I've been waiting a while for this one. I will have to wait until I get home later tonight to perform the update, but I am really excited to be able to turn off the menu when not in use. Now we just need a FW update to do the same with the U18 DDC...

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #4,772 of 8,893
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #4,773 of 8,893
Not sure a DAC will use additional processing for truncating. Most likely it will truncate at the beginning to the 24-bits, process data at integer 24-bits (not a floating point), so there is no truncation, no dithering afterwards, letting a noise on the LSB's do dithering work naturaly.

It is why common ladders have more bits than required for matching accuracy of the ladder on one side and upsampling on the PC to the maximum supported frequency improve SQ in most cases on the other. It is bypassing the process of inferior upsampling in a DAC. NOS mode also allows to select the optimum sampling rate of the ladder, as settling time is limited and transition errors bring more noise at a higher frequency.
That would make sense too but why do the truncating or rounding from 32bit-24integer first when those extra bits could be used for the digital volume control? I am only basing this off the diagram of the signal path that Gustard sent with the interpolation fir filter first then the volume control.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #4,774 of 8,893
It is good that the display can be turned off with auto control. It is also good that the menu letters are slightly larger. But not enough to control from the listening position. It seems to me that the bold font is less legible than it would be normally.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4,776 of 8,893
I think my R26 has the original firmware, do I need to install the other released updates in order of release, or will this most recent update cover them all?
This will cover the DAC body updates. But it is necessary to update Gustarender as well, to avoid crackling of DSD recordings at the beginning of the track.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #4,777 of 8,893
Does the renderer software need to be reinstalled after this fw update? I thought I remembered that being the case last time. Correct me if I'm mistaken, though.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #4,778 of 8,893
Does the renderer software need to be reinstalled after this fw update? I thought I remembered that being the case last time. Correct me if I'm mistaken, though.
No.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,781 of 8,893
I have the original firmware in my R26. Do I need to install all the previous updates in order they were release or will this latest update cover them all? Thx.
This device body update is enough for the device body. However, a special update for the Gustarender streamer has also been released. It's a good idea to install it as well, after installing the firmware.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #4,782 of 8,893
Lately, when I tell BubbleUPnP to play the whole album, it stops after every song. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #4,783 of 8,893
Thank you for the update! That was the missing piece for me...being able to turn off the screen. Now it's a super clean look, the Gustard R26 in all its glory.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4,784 of 8,893
Lately, when I tell BubbleUPnP to play the whole album, it stops after every song. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Yeah, the problem is Bubble UPnP. Sorry to be a smarta**, but it's a common problem and one of the many reasons I ditched it, too buggy. The good news is I found out that the streamer in the R26 works flawlessly with good external software!
EDIT: And for some reason, on playlists it was even worse, almost never played through on a playlist. It's great that there's an app like Bubble or MConnect, and I'm grateful for the hard work that goes into developing software like that, but at the expense of sounding like a broken record, JPlay is another UPnP app that doesn't seem so well known, and is everything I had wished Bubble was when I was using it. Sorry to everyone whose seen me repeat this so many times :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #4,785 of 8,893
Yeah, the problem is Bubble UPnP. Sorry to be a smarta**, but it's a common problem and one of the many reasons I ditched it, too buggy. The good news is I found out that the streamer in the R26 works flawlessly with good external software!
EDIT: And for some reason, on playlists it was even worse, almost never played through on a playlist. It's great that there's an app like Bubble or MConnect, and I'm grateful for the hard work that goes into developing software like that, but at the expense of sounding like a broken record, JPlay is another UPnP app that doesn't seem so well known, and is everything I had wished Bubble was when I was using it. Sorry to everyone whose seen me repeat this so many times :deadhorse:
I have andriod device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back