Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #541 of 1,056
The A26 has six filter and the manual is not providing information what those filters are doing but it states that those filters are provided by AKM, thus meaning the filters are a standard feature of the AKM chips.

I wanted to know a bit more about these filters and found that AKM has published a handy overview what the Filters do for the Sound Type that is being output. I thought this to be a handy overview when selecting a Filter:

r1280-soundcolor.jpeg

Document source: AKM publication on supported filters

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #543 of 1,056
Great stuff, glad you finally got it working.

Makes me wonder now about picking up a DI-20HE whilst I still can.

Pin 15 issue, continuing story...

As detailed earlier in this thread, I succeeded to provide the DSD flag to the A26 using a DIY I2S cable with a breakout cable to provide 3.3 or 5 VDC to pn 15. I praised the SQ. And indeed, it has the signature DSD openness, gorgeous mids and 3D qualities. However, upon longer listening, I noticed that with high energy passages, higher frequency instruments like trumpet or violins can be too strident and fatiguing to my ear. Going back to PCM this aspect was resolved.

My guess is that this could be the result of the voltage applied by the breakout cable, introducing noise.

But if this is the case, then wouldn't this mean that the Gustard (and SMSL) design to require this voltage is essentially flawed to start with? It is probably not for nothing that Audio-GD's Kingwa decided not to send any voltage at all over I2S.

I welcome the more technical guys and girls to chime in...

P S I still do not regret buying the A26 as it sounds very very good with PCM provided I use the DI20HE.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #544 of 1,056
But if this is the case, then wouldn't this mean that the Gustard (and SMSL) design to require this voltage is essentially flawed to start with? It is probably not for nothing that Audio-GD's Kingwa decided not to send any voltage at all over I2S.
Kingwa is known to sacrifice functionality in cases where is a sign of degrading sound quality. So, yes, pin #15 is questionable, as it gives an open pass for ground loops. All other connections use twisted pair, this is the only 'straight' path wire exposing internal power supply to the world.

In your case it shouldn't be a problem, as you have created a reference voltage from a battery. However stripping off a shield may have a negative effect on a high speed (upsampled) transfers. Parameterers of HDMI cable has changed.

I think Gustard can offer two solutions.
1. Adding support for auto-detection.
2. Adding to the menu "force DSD detection" option, it would work as a temporary solution.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #545 of 1,056
I see this is a hot DAC at the moment, and I can tell as a current X26 pro owner.

That said though, is it still in the best interest to add in a clock like the U18? Or perhaps get something better for the price of those two (or slightly above)?

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #546 of 1,056
I see this is a hot DAC at the moment, and I can tell as a current X26 pro owner.

That said though, is it still in the best interest to add in a clock like the U18? Or perhaps get something better for the price of those two (or slightly above)?
Like the 26-R the A-26 both are fabulous bang for buck dacs I could nit pick having owned and tried several other brands though in the 4500 to 7K retail prices I could be happy with my A-26 long term , as I type away I’m listening to the new release of Jazz at the Pawn shop no one at home volume up it sounds pretty darn good to me .

i would like to add a big shout out to Aoshida HiFi at Amazon for the pleasant after sale‘s note thanking me once again for the purchase with a invitation to contact them with any questions or concerns, I don’t know about the rest of you guys and gals so often your pretty much immediately forgotten about as soon as you walk out the door with a purchase.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #547 of 1,056
Like the 26-R the A-26 both are fabulous bang for buck dacs I could nit pick having owned and tried several other brands though in the 4500 to 7K retail prices I could be happy with my A-26 long term , as I type away I’m listening to the new release of Jazz at the Pawn shop no one at home volume up it sounds pretty darn good to me .

i would like to add a big shout out to Aoshida HiFi at Amazon for the pleasant after sale‘s note thanking me once again for the purchase with a invitation to contact them with any questions or concerns, I don’t know about the rest of you guys and gals so often your pretty much immediately forgotten about as soon as you walk out the door with a purchase.
Which version of Jazz at the Pawnshop, can you post a link? Thanks!

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #548 of 1,056
Which version of Jazz at the Pawnshop, can you post a link? Thanks!
From Italy AudioNautes I would imagine is available anywhere , the CDs were lent to me I really didn’t want to be bothered I already have the Fim mastering though my friend insisted hmmm I’m believing the AudioNautes mastering is more resolving, it really sounds spectacular listening through my WarWick headphone system .

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #549 of 1,056
Couldn't agree more about Aoshida HiFi-US at Amazon. Their after sale follow up and prompt response to any subsequent questions I had for my Gustard purchases were outstanding. Two thumbs up for Aoshida.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #550 of 1,056

The U18 is a good bang for the buck. Add a good fuse and it's even better. With having an X26pro you aren't streaming directly to it so if you are using the USB input(from a desktop or laptop etc) then the U18 will make a very nice difference. And it allows you to use the better I2S interface to the X26Pro. People with the A and the R can directly connect to the LAN input so a U18 would be of no benefit unless there's a USB input being used as well from another device. Bottom line if you use USB at all the U18 is worth it's price.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #554 of 1,056
For 1 box solution (DAC/Head Amp/Streamer ) give Teac UD-701N (bit big) a consideration or Matrix Audio (Element series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back