Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #512 of 1,044
Only now -- with the DI20HE back in the game -- I can really judge what the A26 is capable of with DSD over I2S. Hard to describe, but clearly much better here than via the LAN input. No going back to PCM for me.
Great stuff, glad you finally got it working.

Makes me wonder now about picking up a DI-20HE whilst I still can.

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #514 of 1,044
One of the rare audio devices that deserves to be a collector's item :)
But if I understand corrrectly, the I2S output cannot be used in conjunction with a Gustard DAC unless a custom made I2S cable is fabricated? None of the Gustard I2S cable pin out options work with the DI-20HE. Is this correct? Or I am misunderstanding? TIA.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #515 of 1,044
But if I understand corrrectly, the I2S output cannot be used in conjunction with a Gustard DAC unless a custom made I2S cable is fabricated? None of the Gustard I2S cable pin out options work with the DI-20HE. Is this correct? Or I am misunderstanding? TIA.

The cable configuration in itself is not a problem. The problem is with pin 15. This pin is well connected for both devices, however the Gustard (and SMSL) DACs need a positive voltage ('DSD flag', 3.3 or 5 VDC) on this pin in order to play DSD. The Audio-GD is not providing this voltage. That is why I am now using a battery/LT3045 to provide 3.3 VDC via a breakout cable with Live going to pin 15 and Neutral to pin 19 at the DAC end.

The problem is not with the cable pinout configuration, but with the lack of a DSD flag coming from the source.
Note that there are many DACs that do not need this DSD flag as they recognize DSD by other means.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #516 of 1,044
Sandu is a non-biased and very good reviewer. He's got no skin in the game. He tells like it is and goes in depth. He reviewed the X26Pro and nailed it. I pulled the trigger one on after seeing his review and couldn't be happier. No BS with him. As well as his R26 review. No BS. I see no reason not to trust his review of the A26 in which he compares it to the R and he says which DAC does which things better than the other.

who is non biased?
and how do you think that reviews on YouTube are just that?
they are the new form of advertising. The new long commercials.

they are called influencers .
they are on Forums and all over the internet.

not that it’s an evil thing or anything like that
but let’s not be naive here. Money is involved and the guy gets equipment in more than once a week.

he also thought the Topping D90SE was a great DAC. And that has to be THE worst DAC I’ve personally heard.
is he a musician? How long has he been in audio?
any other music background?
what are his credentials for music?
i dont think any To be honest.

who would you trust more on the review if something reproduces music more, a trained musician or someone from the music business or a former plumber or not affiliated with music?

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #517 of 1,044
who would you trust more on the review if something reproduces music more, a trained musician or someone from the music business or a former plumber or not affiliated with music?
Hate to break to you but trained musicians are not typically audiophiles. What musician reviews audio gear? What musician produces their music for the highest fidelity?

You have your take on reviewers. But if reviewers such as Sandu, Goldensound etc come to the same conclusion regarding a piece of gear and those reviews coincide with what members of various forums indicate, I'll trust those reviewers. And the case of the X26Pro my ears validated those reviewers reviews. I'll trust who I trust and you can continue find somebody to trust.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #518 of 1,044
The cable configuration in itself is not a problem. The problem is with pin 15. This pin is well connected for both devices, however the Gustard (and SMSL) DACs need a positive voltage ('DSD flag', 3.3 or 5 VDC) on this pin in order to play DSD. The Audio-GD is not providing this voltage. That is why I am now using a battery/LT3045 to provide 3.3 VDC via a breakout cable with Live going to pin 15 and Neutral to pin 19 at the DAC end.

The problem is not with the cable pinout configuration, but with the lack of a DSD flag coming from the source.
Note that there are many DACs that do not need this DSD flag as they recognize DSD by other means.
Gotcha. Thanks. So it'll work with a Gustard but has a problem with DSD via the I2S. As much as I'd like a DI-20HE as an upgrade to my U18 that problem is a deal breaker for me with an X26pro. Bummer.

Mar 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #519 of 1,044
Hate to break to you but trained musicians are not typically audiophiles. What musician reviews audio gear? What musician produces their music for the highest fidelity?

You have your take on reviewers. But if reviewers such as Sandu, Goldensound etc come to the same conclusion regarding a piece of gear and those reviews coincide with what members of various forums indicate, I'll trust those reviewers. And the case of the X26Pro my ears validated those reviewers reviews. I'll trust who I trust and you can continue find somebody to trust.
Sure thing ,my wife is a studio vocalist I’ve been around producers , musicians ,recording engineers and other employees a conversation about home stereos has never come up , I’m just a fly on the wall anytime I’m around it . However a neighbour a few doors down composes orchestral pieces we traded amplifiers for a few weeks his a 1990s era Sugden preamplifier and amplifier swapped for my Accuphase integrate neither one of us would own bleeding edge components .

Regarding reviewing I look at any review as a compass , an introduction to something new. Sandu‘s back ground along with most any reviewer have an appreciation for playback of their favourite music like the majority here . If Sandu supplements his income as a online component reviewer or any reviewer working from home more power to them I use to commute into NYC daily I’m happy that’s over with.

Finally the topic at hand the A26 it’s been in my office system for 3 days now Im able to listen 6-7 hours a day so far I’m liking it perhaps more then the R-26, will see .

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #520 of 1,044

no we are not typically audiophiles. I am one however.
no one is saying you can’t like what you like. I’m glad you like your DAC honestly.

but I don’t know that guys background from shinola.
at least the guys at stereophile are actually some of them musicians, they have been at more live events than most of us , and have been around musicians for most of their lives.
i mean come on. You can really compare ears?
you think ear training isn’t a thing?

and don’t let me start on how many musicians actually produced as well.
Prince being one of them.

i don’t know if Sandu has ever played an instrument like bass such as John Atkinson to know what one really sounds like.
it’s pretty different than just being a ‘ casual’ listener.

no offense I hope that didn’t come off too aggressively

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #523 of 1,044
Only DSD recordings? That's extremely limiting isn't it?
Possible. Tricks with HQPlayer. Applies only to HQPlayer users.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #524 of 1,044
Has anybody tried different settings on this DAC? Sounded off until I changed to: wide bandwidth and listening mode. Listening mode changed the sound most imo. Finally, voices and instruments sound natural and real.
Did you try the Low Distortion Short setting? I think that's what they call it, it's a slightly different name on the A22 that I have. I think it was invented by AKM, with the others likely invented by Gustard. Game changer for me, sounded far better than any of the others. But that's just me

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #525 of 1,044
Finally the topic at hand the A26 it’s been in my office system for 3 days now Im able to listen 6-7 hours a day so far I’m liking it perhaps more then the R-26, will see .
Hello Bud! So how is this thing (or the R26) compared to the Audiobyte stack? Curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back