Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #527 of 1,044
Has anybody tried different settings on this DAC? Sounded off until I changed to: wide bandwidth and listening mode. Listening mode changed the sound most imo. Finally, voices and instruments sound natural and real.

I bought the A26 for the DSD (rather than the R2R) and here is the answer from Jussy (HQPlayer) to my questions about the "narrow" and "wide" DSD filters.

At DSD256 the AKM chip narrow is 144 kHz and wide is 238 kHz. (without DSD Direct it is always 89 kHz for DSD256)

I consider 144 kHz best value.

I'm in "narrow" and "Monitoring" - DSD Direct via lan (IPV6 direct too, from my Roon/HQPlayer server).

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #528 of 1,044
Hello Bud! So how is this thing (or the R26) compared to the Audiobyte stack? Curious...
Mickey my notes and memory of AudioByte stack including Rockna Wavedream and i would include Holo Audio May dac these dacs produced human pitch and tone the most realistically. I find the Gustards a little shouty and not as refined but great bang for buck .
I would of liked to have experienced the Hub with the AudioByte Vox anyway I know my wife’s voice intimately of course which makes it so much easier to identify well produced timbre , if it does this well on the scale everything else will fall into place . Streaming can be a serious bottle neck at the best of times have you tried any really good CD players ? I can say defiantly the AudioByte Vox is up there on my list for reasonably priced dacs.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #530 of 1,044
Streaming can be a serious bottle neck at the best of times have you tried any really good CD players ? I can say defiantly the AudioByte Vox is up there on my list for reasonably priced dacs.
Nope, Invested in a NAS instead. Had experimented on a FMC mod (ethernet optical isolation) with very good results. Now saving to buy a proper setup using two LHY SW-10 switch.

The Hub was a great addition. Not only does as DDC/Streamer/Reclocker. Its too a format converter/upsampler. Can convert and upsample everything to DSD512 or PCM705/768. So I can say to HQPlayer goodbye. And have smaller/silent PC for Roon or my Android tablet for BubbleUPnP with ease.

Thanks for the brief comparo.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #531 of 1,044
There is no firmware yet for the A26 (which was ahead of the R26). On the other hand, Gustard has locked the port in "serial" mode (like firmware process on R26) and the USB-c is invisible for windows (e.g. for the streamer upgrade even if it is already in version 1.4).

Nobody has noticed it yet ?

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #532 of 1,044
Nope, Invested in a NAS instead. Had experimented on a FMC mod (ethernet optical isolation) with very good results. Now saving to buy a proper setup using two LHY SW-10 switch.

The Hub was a great addition. Not only does as DDC/Streamer/Reclocker. Its too a format converter/upsampler. Can convert and upsample everything to DSD512 or PCM705/768. So I can say to HQPlayer goodbye. And have smaller/silent PC for Roon or my Android tablet for BubbleUPnP with ease.

Thanks for the brief comparo.
I should revisit the AudioByte stack this time with Hub I haven’t settled my office system I get lots of stuff to try from a group I belong to none of them listened to the Vox . I know how effective a switch can be reducing all that noise riding through internet feed it is remarkable how noise alone can effect overall sound quality though I agree streaming can rival other sources it takes work a good example my servers clock board directly clocks the usb card and with separate LPS adding to dropping the noise floor most noticeable with my ripped library then streaming . My streaming feed needs more attention though you can agree it is so important what is fed to your dac.

Just a mention I was lent a Ayon SACD player model ? swapped between both my systems what a difference in sound quality , it was more then just being different even Jussi the developer of HQplayer last time I spoke uses a SACD transport the signal fed through HQplayer however I won‘t be going back to a transport.

Yes there is more then one way to skin a cat , good listening my friend.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #534 of 1,044
About filters on A26, has anyone been able to achieve the same effect or better using the equalizer settings at the source, eg. Roon’s PEQ feature.

Or the A26 filters have capabilities that PEQ cannot provide?

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #535 of 1,044
Sorry guys It wasn't the setting but mine wasn't broken in. Now it's broken in it sounds amazing... Compared to R26, every note has more weight and the bass is hitting harder- pounding against my chest while smooth but very detailed. R26 has more of a 3D open live soundstage but that's the only one that does better than A26. A26 is better than R26 in almost every way IMO.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #536 of 1,044
Nice, how are you connected/what is your chain?

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #538 of 1,044
Gustard A26>Holo Bliss>Susvara
Seeing how much this dac upgraded my chain, now i wonder what Holo May is going to be like.
HC I have not listened to the Holo Bliss Susvara combination though I can easily imagine how sensational this pair must sound though I am some what familiar with the signature sound of the Susvaras I did enjoy the Enleum 23-R a friend uses . The May KTE I am familiar with having owned it would definitely be a step to finishing off your headphone system.
My office system is resolving enough to appreciate sound quality differences though it’s certainly not a tool for critical judgment I do very much appreciate bang for buck components and speaker systems. I am familiar with Gustard R-26 though I’ve only had the A-26 for a few days Im leaning with you about the sound signature of the A-26 VS the R-26 however it’s only memory of what I didn’t like about the R26 I’d like to directly compare the two dacs .

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #539 of 1,044
I bought the A26 for the DSD (rather than the R2R) and here is the answer from Jussy (HQPlayer) to my questions about the "narrow" and "wide" DSD filters.

I'm in "narrow" and "Monitoring" - DSD Direct via lan (IPV6 direct too, from my Roon/HQPlayer server).
What is ‘ narrow ‘ and ’ wide’ in the A26? Are those filters in the AKM chip for DSD?

and does Jussi like the Gustard A26 for HQplayer? do the AKM chips filter bypass at high integers when fed the HQplayer filters?

thanks

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #540 of 1,044
iFi Zen Stream is a good alternative for A26, but I still wonder if Rivo still has better components to make a difference.

Aurender N200 on the other hand seems nice and a stripped version of HiFiRose, but without Tidal Connect and Roon, I don't think it adds much value to A26. Also, N200 at $6200, I might get a HiFiRose which is more feature complete.
I got the Rivo to be able to use AES interphase into my Yggy instead of USB from my computer, I like it very much. There are not many inexpensive streamers with AES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back