Teac UD-701N Discrete DAC / Network / HP Amp / Preamp
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

m-i-c-k-e-y

Headphoneus Supremus
Aside from Moon Audio Preorder Thread and some very good impressions at CanJam SoCal 2022, I think this hidden gem should be introduced more.

It has a Discrete DAC, a network player, HP amp and Preamp. Info could be found on its product page: USA Teac Product Page
More Info on: AS Thread, Moon Audiuo Review
Main Features:
TEAC discrete DAC (Delta Sigma) newly developed
Dual-mono structure
Four high capacity toroidal core transformers
Analog preamplifier function with 2 line inputs via RCA/XLR and 4 digital inputs
TEAC-HCLD Enhanced Current Output Buffer Circuits? get better
4-pin XLR headphone amplifier that can be switched between balanced and active ground
Full MQA decoder that also supports digital inputs
Upconversion
Master Clock Input
The Bluetooth receiver supports LDAC, aptX HD and other high resolution transmission formats
Support for common and convenient network features, including OpenHome and Roon Ready
Spotify Connect, Tidal, Qobuz and TuneIn (Internet radio)
Bulk Pet USB transfer technology enables stable data transmission
Designed to prevent vibration
TEAC HR Audio Player, supporting 22.5MHz DSD playback under both Windows and Mac, provided free of charge
TEAC HR Streamer, enabling high-resolution playback from smartphones and tablets, provided free of charge

Front:
ud-701n-b_front.jpg

Rear:
ud-701n-b_rear.jpg

Just to give you an idea. A comparison the insides of Esoteric Esoteric (Teac's parent company) N-05XD.

Teac UD-701N - $4K:
TEAC-701_20.jpg

Esoteric N-05XD - $11K:
esoteric n-05 xd.jpg

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 39
Reserve..

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 39
Yo! Practically nada :sweat_smile:. Just created the thread to spread the love. Hoping somebody could notice it.

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 39
I just auditioned this piece at CanJam NYC. I was happily surprised to see a TEAC table at the show. Their setup included an attached CG-10M master clock and Meze Elite headphones. Really excellent sounding combination. Struck me as a worthy baby brother to the Esoteric N-05XD.

CanJamNYC23-12-Teac.jpg

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 39
I just auditioned this piece at CanJam NYC. I was happily surprised to see a TEAC table at the show. Their setup included an attached CG-10M master clock and Meze Elite headphones. Really excellent sounding combination. Struck me as a worthy baby brother to the Esoteric N-05XD.

CanJamNYC23-12-Teac.jpg
Also heard these at Canjam NYC and I really liked them. This and the DCS Lina stood out to me the most in terms of source gear. Perhaps it has something to do with those external clocks? I played around with the clock on the Lina. Wish I had played around with the clock on these as well (if that was allowed).

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 39
Pair this with a the new LHY SW-10 FMC switch + clock. Will be killer.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 39
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 39
Btw does this unit has clock input?

TIA
Yes it has, see the spec list copied from the TEAC japan website below. It is one of the features that makes the player very attractive to me and it is one of the very few (the only?) CD player at this price point that allows for external Clock input.

VRDS-701
Main Features
  • Newly developed V.R.D.S mechanism for the heart of the CD player
  • V.R.D.S (Vibration-Free Rigid Disc-Clamping System) is a TEAC's uqniue drive mechanism that clamps a CD with a 12cm diamter aluminum turntable to reduce vibration and fluctuation during disc rotation by increasing inertial mass.
  • TEAC's original discrete DAC D/A converter defines sound quality
  • Dual monaural and full-balanced circuit design for excellent channel separation
  • Volume control with TEAC-QVCS analog pre-amplifier circuit allows direct delivery to a power amplifier
  • Supports MQA full decoding from both MQA CD and digital inputs
  • USB DAC function supporting DSD22.5MHz, PCM 384kHz/32bit decode
  • Up-conversion to 2xFs/4xFs/8xFs by RDOT-NEO circuit
  • 10MHz external clock input
  • Individual toroidal-core power transformers for each analog section, digital section and CD drive section
  • TEAC-HCLD2, TEAC's unique current transmission enhanced buffer amplifier
  • 2000V/us High thru-rate output circuit for headphone amplifier
Key Specifications
  • Supported disc: CD-DA (12cm, Compatible with CD-R/CD-RW/MQA CD playback)
  • Digital inputs: USB Type-C × 1, Coxial ×1, Optical × 1
  • Analog outputs: XLR Balanced × 1 pair, RCA Unbalanced × 1 pair
  • Digital outputs: Coaxial × 1, Optical × 1
  • 10MHz clock input: BNC × 1
  • Overall dimensions: (W×H×D, incl. protrusion):444 × 111.3 × 333.6mm / 17.5" × 4.5" × 13.2"
  • Weight: 11.8kg / 26 lbs.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 39
FYI, the Teac VRDS-701 CD player/DAC was just announced at FLAX 2023.

It's essentially a UD-701N with a VRDS CD transport built in (no SACD unfortunately), and minus the network features.

https://teac.jp/int/support/news/7201
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1482159.html

vrds-701-s_thumbnail.jpeg
DSC00038_o.jpeg
I am eyeing this CD player and I hope it will be released in Europe as well.

TEAC VRDS mechanism is proven and can give excellent performance. I hope they will use the high(er) quality version of the mechanism, and the picture you posted looks promising.

Together with TEAC’s own Delta Sigma DAC with their own FPGA, that they also use in the UD-701n, and external clock capability (see post above) this player could get us in for a real treat.

I think TEAC is on an interesting path releasing what I see as direct derivatives from their Esosteric brand, that are externally less exotic but use a lot of the internals but at at a much lower price point.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 39
Hello, for those who are interested in either the 701N or the new VDRS CD, have you had experience with Teac's own external master clock generator, the CG-10M-A, as others lke Mutec are quite expensive for me ..

Thanks

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 39
Hello, for those who are interested in either the 701N or the new VDRS CD, have you had experience with Teac's own external master clock generator, the CG-10M-A, as others lke Mutec are quite expensive for me ..

Thanks
I have ordered the CG-10M and am expecting it to arrive this week. Will report back if there are audible sonic improvements in my set-up after installing and first listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back