Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #377 of 1,056
offtopic : ON

IME, its never been a numbers game. Need to hear, how well it synergies w/ my equipment, HP/Speakers. That's why the 'audition' thing. Just like persons. Its not his/her ie. CV only. Need to know him/her and also how will he/she will integrate, real things he/she does. If its a measurements game then poor Ongaku. You have 27W + 27W @ 1kHz, 5% THD, and they say your crap.

offtopic : OFF

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #378 of 1,056
I have no idea how to understand the graphs that link shows. What I don't know is if that's a good thing or a bad thing
Neither do I but English comments/conclusion, if good, gives a good comfort that its a technically sound/defect free gadget from sonics perspective! It won't tell many other things like its durability. For that Head-fi reviewers are there! :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #379 of 1,056
For those looking for measurements

https://www-l7audiolab-com.translat...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Gustard really should consider a US distributor and have a solid presence on this forum for customer support.
They have an active presence on ASR. Or at least they did when the X26Pro came out. I'm sure a smallish manufacturer can't possibly have the time nor the staff to have a presence on every forum that discusses their products.
Aoshida hifi-us is a distributor of Gustard that has distribution in the US. I got my X26Pro and U18 4 days after I ordered them.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #380 of 1,056
They have an active presence on ASR. Or at least they did when the X26Pro came out. I'm sure a smallish manufacturer can't possibly have the time nor the staff to have a presence on every forum that discusses their products.
Aoshida hifi-us is a distributor of Gustard that has distribution in the US. I got my X26Pro and U18 4 days after I ordered them.
I agree that Aoshida is great to do business with. When they have another 20% off sale I will pounce on an A26 to replace my A22. Although I have to say I'm so pleased with my C18/U18/A22 (all with purple fuses) I'm wondering just how much better can it get? Of course 10 years ago I was wondering the same thing when I was listening to my Eosone speakers with a $400 Yamaha AVR receiver using speaker cables from off the spool wire at radio shack. So I guess no matter how good it gets, it can still always get better yet

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #381 of 1,056
When the consensus at ASR is more or less that all cables sound the same and external clocks couldn't possibly make a difference, that's about all I need to know. That's just two examples where my ears have told me different
External clocks are most useless thing in this hobby.
Another source of noise in the signal chain.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #383 of 1,056
I finished a review of a 'lower' end Topping Dac with this exact new DAC setup, single AK4499 not two, but it IS the new double chipset AK4191+AK499EX. It sounds great. Good to see AKM back into the game with a vengeance in high end audio.

Seems that separating the modulator section into the AK4191 and the resistor based converter/filter in the AK4499EX makes for an excellent solution. I would think that the Gustard with two DACs in differential mode will make even more of a difference, at least on the test bench. I measured the Topping E70V at near -128db SNR, and SINAD well over 120db. This should only be even better. I must have one in for review, lol. You can see the Topping review(s) at euphonicreview.com

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #385 of 1,056
Super interested in getting A26, but the lack of Tidal Direct is making me pause.

I don’t have Linux knowledge so I can’t install the GitHub version of Tidal Connect either.

Does anyone know if Gustard is working on native support for Tidal Connect?

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #388 of 1,056
That’s fantastic, can any owners of A26 join the beta? Or is this a private trial?

I was referring the Tidal Connect beta testing programme for the R26 - see post from the R26 thread below. Not sure if there is a separate programme for the A26 and/or whether it or the R26 programme is still open. Perhaps ask @sbogdanovs for his contact/whether there is an A26 beta test opportunity.

I understand the streamer hardware and Gustarender firmware is the same between the A26 & R26 so expect Gustard will deploy the updated Gustarender firmware with Tidal Connect once finalised to both DACs.

Hello. Just for information. I participate in Tidal Connect beta testing program. Recently installed, and my MacBook and iPad running it just fine. Android phone does no see tidal connect, but it is known issue, and gustard engineers working to deliver tidal connect to android. After 4 days of testing no issue spotted.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #390 of 1,056
If they appoint US distributor price for R26 will be $3k USD! Look what happened to Line Magnetic.
What are you talking about? As I mentioned in post 379 above Gustard products can be purchased through a reseller that has US distribution for the same price as the overseas resellers. Gustard sets the minimum price their products can be sold at that's why all resellers have the same price unless they're price gougers and try selling the gear for more than what Gustard sets the price at. I've seen a couple of these resellers on ebay whose prices are higher than can be found at most other resellers. Also notice how when there's a sale on Gustard gear, all the resellers have Gustard gear on sale and they're all the same 15 or 20% off depending on the sale. Given that, I'm sure it's Gustard that sets when and for how long the sale is and the discount percentage for the sale.

The R26 or A26 would have to be manufactured in the USA for them to be a $3k priced DAC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back