Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #391 of 1,044
What are you talking about? As I mentioned in post 379 above Gustard products can be purchased through a reseller that has US distribution for the same price as the overseas resellers. Gustard sets the minimum price their products can be sold at that's why all resellers have the same price unless they're price gougers and try selling the gear for more than what Gustard sets the price at. I've seen a couple of these resellers on ebay whose prices are higher than can be found at most other resellers. Also notice how when there's a sale on Gustard gear, all the resellers have Gustard gear on sale and they're all the same 15 or 20% off depending on the sale. Given that, I'm sure it's Gustard that sets when and for how long the sale is and the discount percentage for the sale.

The R26 or A26 would have to be manufactured in the USA for them to be a $3k priced DAC
Yes, I bought Gustard U18 through Amazon and they also have eBay and other online outlets. They maybe one day appoint a North America service centre. But if you want an official US distributor to handle all sales and service like what Tone Imports did with Line Magnetic they will not let Gustard sell 110/115v units online. As the distributor would have to keep millions in inventory and they for sure double price so they can make a profit!

Feb 16, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #392 of 1,044
I agree that Aoshida is great to do business with. When they have another 20% off sale I will pounce on an A26 to replace my A22. Although I have to say I'm so pleased with my C18/U18/A22 (all with purple fuses) I'm wondering just how much better can it get? Of course 10 years ago I was wondering the same thing when I was listening to my Eosone speakers with a $400 Yamaha AVR receiver using speaker cables from off the spool wire at radio shack. So I guess no matter how good it gets, it can still always get better yet
But for the price of C18+U18+A26, you could also buy a Holo Spring/May 3.
And there you have all in one, including outstanding clock and outstanding isolated USB.
+ Possibly the best DAC existing today.

I mean $1500 + $1500 + $600… + nice cables in between.
Why not go directly for the undisputed champ ?

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #394 of 1,044
I mainly use Roon and Tidal. In this case, would adding the Volumio Rivo "Digital Transport" between the source and A26 negate the use of external clocks and other expensive components?

Volumio claims their "Rivo" is designed with high quality components like OFC transformers, dedicated power for internal clock with stabilizer, SPDIF/AES/EBU with galvanic isolation, USB with high precision external clock, antimagnetic case etc.

But then with the price of Rivo + A26 it's roughly $2500, are there better streamer/dac in this price range with MQA and better sound quality?

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #395 of 1,044
I mainly use Roon and Tidal. In this case, would adding the Volumio Rivo "Digital Transport" between the source and A26 negate the use of external clocks and other expensive components?

Volumio claims their "Rivo" is designed with high quality components like OFC transformers, dedicated power for internal clock with stabilizer, SPDIF/AES/EBU with galvanic isolation, USB with high precision external clock, antimagnetic case etc.

But then with the price of Rivo + A26 it's roughly $2500, are there better streamer/dac in this price range with MQA and better sound quality?
I wish I had a YouTube channel so manufacturers would send me gear to review but then I am honest and would not try to pump. For basic streaming off Tidal or Spotify I find it will be hard to beat iFi Zen stream with Gustard U18 and then your A26/R26. I recently heard Aurrender N200 at a store. Nothing stood out could be same as my combo. Need to audition at home and with a buddy to do proper blind testing.

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #396 of 1,044
For basic streaming off Tidal or Spotify I find it will be hard to beat iFi Zen stream with Gustard U18 and then your A26/R26. I recently heard Aurrender N200 at a store. Nothing stood out could be same as my combo. Need to audition at home and with a buddy to do proper blind testing.
iFi Zen Stream is a good alternative for A26, but I still wonder if Rivo still has better components to make a difference.

Aurender N200 on the other hand seems nice and a stripped version of HiFiRose, but without Tidal Connect and Roon, I don't think it adds much value to A26. Also, N200 at $6200, I might get a HiFiRose which is more feature complete.

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #398 of 1,044
For the points mentioned above, as a reminder, Tidal Connect is in beta phase for A26/R26.
In addition to Roon end point already available.
I really hope Gustard would hurry so I won't have to worry about getting a streamer/digital transport like Volumio Rivo or iFi Zen.

A26 already has Roon, once it has Tidal Connect, it will have everything I need! Unless, there is an advantage to get an additional streamer instead of using the built-in Roon and Tidal Connect?

For those of you who are on beta or who are testing the beta Tidal Connect, has Gustard mentioned a target date to roll out Tidal Connect?

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #399 of 1,044
iFi Zen Stream is a good alternative for A26, but I still wonder if Rivo still has better components to make a difference.

Aurender N200 on the other hand seems nice and a stripped version of HiFiRose, but without Tidal Connect and Roon, I don't think it adds much value to A26. Also, N200 at $6200, I might get a HiFiRose which is more feature complete.
You would need to audition at home. The top usual suspects are Auriclic, Aurender, Innous and Lumin. I wish we can do a shoot out. For sure Zen stream best Bluesound Node USB as I own both and Zen also best Cambridge 851N (transport bypassing internal DAC)

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #400 of 1,044
I really hope Gustard would hurry so I won't have to worry about getting a streamer/digital transport like Volumio Rivo or iFi Zen.

A26 already has Roon, once it has Tidal Connect, it will have everything I need! Unless, there is an advantage to get an additional streamer instead of using the built-in Roon and Tidal Connect?

For those of you who are on beta or who are testing the beta Tidal Connect, has Gustard mentioned a target date to roll out Tidal Connect?
My recommendation would be if you get a Gustard DAC, such as the A26 or R26, with their inbuilt streamer do not rush into buying external streamers or DDCs off the bat.

Gustard's internal streamer is very, very good when used with Roon and HQ player, particularly when externally clocked and fed nice clean ethernet which can be done effectively and economically with fibre media convertors.

Here's hoping Gustard do a similarly great job with Tidal Connect.

I have a Zen, U18 and SU6 I acquired before I got the R26 and an SMSL VMV D2 AK4499 DAC (since returned). My sig reflects my clear preference sonically. I guess this could conceivably change with an incoming Puritan power conditioner or if I upgraded to an even better and more expensive I2S cable. But I'm in no hurry to do the latter having already spent well over €/$1k on the Zen + PS, U18 and good digital cables.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #401 of 1,044

If you look a few posts above you will find the ID of someone in the beta program.
I guess you could join it too if you want.
On top of that, all users seem to agree that R26/A26 Ethernet connection is very good (better than all the others, including I2S)

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #402 of 1,044
But for the price of C18+U18+A26, you could also buy a Holo Spring/May 3.
And there you have all in one, including outstanding clock and outstanding isolated USB.
+ Possibly the best DAC existing today.

I mean $1500 + $1500 + $600… + nice cables in between.
Why not go directly for the undisputed champ ?
Perhaps a lot of people are like me and buy one component at a time. As a retired person on SS I try to spend on these things as the money comes in rather than drain my savings. For instance I bought my A22 dac pre-owned for $800. At that time I wasn't thinking about a DDC or external clock. In fact I'm not sure the U18 or C18 even existed at that time because I was looking at the Singxer DDC. I also think the U18 and C18 will remain in my system even after I update the dac to A26 or something else. We all need to make our purchases based on our own specific circumstances. I agree if someone were going to buy all three components at the same time the Holo might make more sense

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #403 of 1,044
On top of that, all users seem to agree that R26/A26 Ethernet connection is very good (better than all the others, including I2S)
I wouldn't say the internal streamer of the R26/A26 is better in absolute terms than I2S, as the latter can clearly better it, but requires an extremely high quality I2S source to do so. For eg. @bodiebill2 's A26 setup and R26 folk using the Neo Stream and/or audiophile PCs Jcat XE USB & ethernet cards with SoTM motherboard.

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #404 of 1,044
I wouldn't say the internal streamer of the R26/A26 is better in absolute terms than I2S, as the latter can clearly better it, but requires an extremely high quality I2S source to do so. For eg. @bodiebill2 's A26 setup and R26 folk using the Neo Stream and/or audiophile PCs Jcat XE USB & ethernet cards with SoTM motherboard.
Yes Jake, agreed.
I have no A26/R26 yet. So I am just parroting reviews here.
But my idea was to bring good news to HFFan : the Ethernet connection is good.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #405 of 1,044
Perhaps a lot of people are like me and buy one component at a time. As a retired person on SS I try to spend on these things as the money comes in rather than drain my savings. For instance I bought my A22 dac pre-owned for $800. At that time I wasn't thinking about a DDC or external clock. In fact I'm not sure the U18 or C18 even existed at that time because I was looking at the Singxer DDC. I also think the U18 and C18 will remain in my system even after I update the dac to A26 or something else. We all need to make our purchases based on our own specific circumstances. I agree if someone were going to buy all three components at the same time the Holo might make more sense
Yes I totally understand.
It is a bit different for me : I have to refresh “the whole DAC” area.
So, for me, the question A+B+C or “Holo Audio” makes more sense.
and just like you, if I go for Holo Audio, I will also try to buy “pre-loved” gear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back