Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #361 of 1,034
When the consensus at ASR is more or less that all cables sound the same and external clocks couldn't possibly make a difference, that's about all I need to know. That's just two examples where my ears have told me different
The ASR crowd only listens to measurements. They don't listen to music it seems. Want to make their heads explode? Start a fuse thread. :smile:

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #363 of 1,034
Ok thanks milkdudd!
From memory there were very few, if any, people on the R26 thread (maybe 1 or 2, but no one I can recall active in recent months) who had compared the Spring 3 to the R26 or even heard both at different different times. Whereas there were 3 or 4 folk who had owned or compared the R26 to the May KTE. So maybe search the thread for “Spring” to find what posts there were then reply or PM them. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #364 of 1,034
From memory there were very few, if any, people on the R26 thread (maybe 1 or 2, but no one I can recall active in recent months) who had compared the Spring 3 to the R26 or even heard both at different different times. Whereas there were 3 or 4 folk who had owned or compared the R26 to the May KTE. So maybe search the thread for “Spring” to find what posts there were then reply or PM them. Good luck.
Thanks again milkdudd!☺️

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #367 of 1,034
Everyone trust your ears
measurements IMHO are wonderful to see if something is seriously wrong in he design.

besides that. The way ASR have made these are like a religion and dogma.

unlike real scientists they dont delve further to see maybe what they are missing in some newer or different measurements.

dont pay attention to my opinion on a DAC or anyones. Listen for yourself and see if you like it or not.

don’t stress.

it’s about audio enjoyment And fun.

ASR sucks the life out of that fun. And that’s not what science is intended to do.

listen for yourself and decide.

cheers brothers

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #368 of 1,034
unlike real scientists they dont delve further to see maybe what they are missing in some newer or different measurements.
This gets to the heart of it, alas.

Slightly OT but a great/depressing very recent example of this was in the companion thread to their recent test of the new Hypex Nilai class D amp where the admin banned as OT any discussion of - along with many posters dismissing outright - Alpha Audio's recent live YT recorded listening test of three very similarly high measuring class D amps (the Nilai, Purifi & Icepower) where the inconvenient truth was the Nilai was clearly audibly superior to the other two (at least to my ears and that of the Alpha Audio team). This apparent via YT compressed audio played back my ipad's speakers, let alone listening to their OG flac files via good headphones. (After seriously considering Purifi I now have a Nilai en route)

Anyway I agree that listening in person is best, though when this hasn't been feasible I've had much greater success following the recommendations of reviewers I trust and posters on the likes of this forum than relying on measurements alone. I naively bought three components with high measured SINAD etc on the recommendation of said other forum which had a dismal hit rate of just 1 out of the 3 sounding any good.

@Davidv100 - if you wait for that forum to expand their suite of measurements - for DACs or anything else - to one that strives to be a comprehensive model of human pycho-acoustic perception (e.g. with ability to predict perceived soundstaging depth & breadth and acoustic decay realism) - or even just acknowledge their current suite has limitations - methinks you'll be waiting a while. Though on the plus side it'll save you quite a lot on gear purchases if you hold off till then! :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #369 of 1,034
But that is exactly the point (unfortunately).
The best measuring DACs are often quite cheap... It seems the Topping line (300$ - 800$) excel in this pure measurement area.
Some say they are actually specifically made for that : to perform well on the SINAD bench.
But many people listening to them do not like the way they sound.

Strange enough, the reverse is also true : the best sounding devices do not always perform well on the measuring bench...
Unfortunately what is also true is that some very expensive/overhyped DACs may not sound good and some very cheap/underrated DACs may sound great! How to know if something sounds good and is not overhyped/sponsored good? This becomes very complicated. Sounding good to some may not sound good to others. Its very subjective. Something sounding very airy, dark or purple may not convey to others what is meant here.

That way, measurements terms like SINAD are very well quantified but may not convey how the DAC would sound like?

The gap, to start with, I think is due to lack of quantified definition of subjective terms like warm, dark, airy etc.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #370 of 1,034
Unfortunately what is also true is that some very expensive/overhyped DACs may not sound good and some very cheap/underrated DACs may sound great! How to know if something sounds good and is not overhyped/sponsored good? This becomes very complicated. Sounding good to some may not sound good to others. Its very subjective. Something sounding very airy, dark or purple may not convey to others what is meant here.

That way, measurements terms like SINAD are very well quantified but may not convey how the DAC would sound like?

The gap, to start with, I think is due to lack of quantified definition of subjective terms like warm, dark, airy etc.
Best bet is to just buy from a reputable retailer with a refund policy in the event you're not satisfied. Of course that only works if you're buying new. If you're buying used to save some money you could always sell it if you're not happy and usually break even or come close. I will say I've never gone wrong by listening to those on this forum and their recommendations

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #371 of 1,034
Best bet is to just buy from a reputable retailer with a refund policy in the event you're not satisfied. Of course that only works if you're buying new. If you're buying used to save some money you could always sell it if you're not happy and usually break even or come close. I will say I've never gone wrong by listening to those on this forum and their recommendations
And to ascertain that there are no glitches in the device, measurements ensure it. So make use of both the worlds!

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #372 of 1,034
You cannot just say beauty is 36—24—36.
And crap is 52—52—52 (grandma).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back