Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #346 of 1,034
I explain why I am asking this basic question.
- I am surprised by the lack of reviews (Only Soundnews and Tharbamar have produced one so far)
- Is this because A26 is nothing to write home about ?
- Or because all the hype is about R2R ladders (I am also hesitating between R26 and A26).
- Or because it is too soon (but that would be strange, better to talk about it went it is hot, I guess).
My review is still in the works, and I know I'm not the only one whose sample was delayed until after the lunar new year.

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #347 of 1,034
I explain why I am asking this basic question.
- I am surprised by the lack of reviews (Only Soundnews and Tharbamar have produced one so far)
- Is this because A26 is nothing to write home about ?
- Or because all the hype is about R2R ladders (I am also hesitating between R26 and A26).
- Or because it is too soon (but that would be strange, better to talk about it went it is hot, I guess).

probably because it didn’t break the SINAD barrier. Lol
thats kinda in jest but then again not.
i think that these Chinese companies and ASR have painted themselves into a corner with all this SINAD and extreme measurements. not to mention the notion that all DACs sound the same with good measurements.
so what are they marketing now? What’s the allure if these Chinese companies in lock step with ASR concentrated 100% on measurements and now reached a point where they just can’t go any higher in measurements?
does any of that make sense?

you can even see it on ASR. They diss the A26 because it went 5% backwards in measurements. When it measures incredibly. But it doesn’t measure as well as a Topping E70 V, so they think the Gustard is a rip off , and/or redundant.

painted themselves into a corner.

what are they supposed to market now?
discreet components?
that goes against their measurements ideals. Op amps are superior for measurements
using a linear PSU with torroids ? Again switching PSUs measure better to them.

They have nowhere to go now

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #348 of 1,034
I fell for the ASR trap before with the original Topping A90, then I bought a Soloist 3xp and said to hell with measurements. Then I tried the D90SE thinking maybe I was just being silly. That thing sounded flatter than flat. It's like music was squashed together into a pancake that only went left/right. Yet the x26 Pro (which measures identical) sound so much better, as well as the A26. Hell the A90 and the SA-1 measure the same and there is very noticeable differences between the two. However I do think there are people who can't hear differences between gear and I'm actually jealous of them. Saves them a ton of money honestly.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #349 of 1,034
I fell for the ASR trap before with the original Topping A90, then I bought a Soloist 3xp and said to hell with measurements. Then I tried the D90SE thinking maybe I was just being silly. That thing sounded flatter than flat. It's like music was squashed together into a pancake that only went left/right. Yet the x26 Pro (which measures identical) sound so much better, as well as the A26. Hell the A90 and the SA-1 measure the same and there is very noticeable differences between the two. However I do think there are people who can't hear differences between gear and I'm actually jealous of them. Saves them a ton of money honestly.

the Topping D90SE was and is the worst sounding DAC I’ve ever bought. Returned it right away.
the topping D30pro was much better, but still flat and zero weight to the instruments.

i am curious about Gustard, since they use more ‘ old school ‘ audio design.

do the Gustard have that weight and holographic sound? That is, do they not sound flat?

thanks!

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #351 of 1,034
i think that these Chinese companies and ASR have painted themselves into a corner with all this SINAD and extreme measurements. not to mention the notion that all DACs sound the same with good measurements.
so what are they marketing now? What’s the allure if these Chinese companies in lock step with ASR concentrated 100% on measurements and now reached a point where they just can’t go any higher in measurements?

you can even see it on ASR. They diss the A26 because it went 5% backwards in measurements. When it measures incredibly. But it doesn’t measure as well as a Topping E70 V, so they think the Gustard is a rip off , and/or redundant.

discreet components?
that goes against their measurements ideals. Op amps are superior for measurements

Thank you for your input Nkam,
I was not familiar with ASR. So after reading your post I spent a few hours there.
It must confess I am impressed by the way the head reviewer totally destroyed Chord DAVE…

At the end of the day, I do not know what to think anymore…
I think I will stick with my idea of buying either R26 or A26.
But it might just be for the wrong reasons.

I mean, I won’t feel comfortable with buying a DAC
- that is too suspiciously cheap (say < 1000€);
- neither too expensive (say > 3000€), because tbh, my ears may not hear the difference.

So I might end up buying A26 or R26, just because they are in the sweet spot, budget wise.
I know this is just plain dumb… but… anyway… I do not know what to believe anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #352 of 1,034
New gustard a26 owner (monday), i have many dacs previously weiss 501, ifi signature pro, Holo Spring 3 kte……..the Gustard easily holds its own here so far….. im doing alot of a/b comparison with two sets of speakers i have (monitor audio 500 7 series, bmw 804) and the different dacs, my amp is a peachtree nova 500….. so far this is an amazing dac for $1500.
Please tell me how the A26 compares to Holo Spring 3 Kte? Thanks!

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #354 of 1,034
Great discussion…..
Holo vs R26 (10 hrs only a/b) So far im finding this a tough comparison lots of similarities (headphones only) im leaning towards the R26 as the better overall, Holo has a slightly better defined bass, but not light years..maybe 3-5%
Vocals are better on the R26, more air in the upper range too. No fatigue at all, super easy to listen too, im going to toss it in the 2 channel setup tomorrow if time permits
Anymore updates on how R26 compared to Holo Spring 3 in regards to smoothness and which DAC is more holographic? Thanks!

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #355 of 1,034

discreet components?

Though it went in tangential but along the tangential, I am awaiting ASR measurements on A26. For that to happen, they need a sample first. Would be really interesting and helpful if anyone in US, willing to be A26 reviewed/measured by ASR, send them the device after mutual agreement.

I think lot of measurements vs subjective grudges may go away if one understands the difference between "High Fidelity/HiFi" and "Sounding good/Sounding great". Both are not the same!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #356 of 1,034
Though it went in tangential but along the tangential, I am awaiting ASR measurements on A26. For that to happen, they need a sample first. Would be really interesting and helpful if anyone in US, willing to be A26 reviewed/measured by ASR, send them the device after mutual agreement.

I think lot of measurements vs subjective grudges may go away if one understands the difference between "High Fidelity/HiFi" and "Sounding good/Sounding great". Both are not the same!
But that is exactly the point (unfortunately).
The best measuring DACs are often quite cheap... It seems the Topping line (300$ - 800$) excel in this pure measurement area.
Some say they are actually specifically made for that : to perform well on the SINAD bench.
But many people listening to them do not like the way they sound.

Strange enough, the reverse is also true : the best sounding devices do not always perform well on the measuring bench...

On measurement websites, like ASR, they tend to say :
- nowadays, all DACS are equivalent... and beyond that we enter a domain that the ear cannot hear anyway...
- a DAC is now a staple, a commodity. Take anything... providing it is cheap.
- anyone paying more than 500$ for a DAC is a fool...

I do not know what they measure exactly... is it at the entry of the analog stage (just the decoding part), or at end of the analog stage (the sound)...

But I think intuitively that there is something wrong/incomplete with their approach.

I mean, I guess the DAC has the same function as the turntable cartidge. Transforming coded data into analog signal.
And turntable cartidges have huge price ranges.

I don't know...

But anyway, despite all this, I would also be interested in ASR measurements of A26, or a review by Goldensound...

Regarding ASR, If I had to place a bet, I think they will conclude that A26 is equivalent to :
- Topping E70 Velvet (400€) - same chipset
- SMSL D400EX (900€) - same chipset.

Note that regarding Topping, the A26 chipset (2x AK4499EX + 1 AK4191) is only to be found in the "E Series" : Topping D70 Velvet.
But does not reach the "top level" Topping line, the "D-Series", like the Topping D90SE/LE, which have a ESS (Sabre) chipset.
(If I am not mistaken Matrix DACs also use Sabre chipsets).
But then again, many people say Topping sounds flat and crap.

So... I reallllllly don't know... what is the best value for money. And I am a bit lost, tbh.
I think I will just set this project on hold... I am still happy with my PS-Audio Digital Link III Mod Cullen IV (more than ten years old).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back