Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Apr 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #61 of 605
FYI - the Gustard X12 launched on Massdrop today 
L3000.gif

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-dac-x12-usb-version

$499 starting price
$469 tier 2
$439 if completely unlocked

Shipping is $50 to Canada (not sure about US), meaning at the first two tiers it's actually more expensive then buying from the typical ebay vendors/shenzen who offer free shipping.

I was just thinking that it would be awesome to see vendors offering a deal on the X12 + U12, or even X12 + U12 + H10.

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #62 of 605
Listening to my H10 right now and loving it!  I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a
X10 DAC?   I'm watching the massdrop on the X12 right now, but not sure it's a big step up.
regards,
Hibuck....

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #63 of 605
  Listening to my H10 right now and loving it!  I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a
X10 DAC?   I'm watching the massdrop on the X12 right now, but not sure it's a big step up.
regards,
Hibuck....

Pretty sure the x10 was replaced by the x12.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #64 of 605
X12 replaced X10. Gustard is no longer making the X10, though you might be able to find it used.

Still, the X12 is a fantastic unit, esp with the XMOS USB card. I just found out it will actually do internal USB>I2S and pass the signal directly to the 9018. This also means that the USB board is replaceable, though Gustard themselves say that this board will be in their upcoming X20, so I imagine it won't be replaced for awhile.

Combined with DSD64/128 decoding, this thing is a steal for $500. I've spoken with 3 seperate Head-Fiers that I know and trust in the last 48h, and they've all stated that they preferred the X12 to the Gungnir, which they all previously owned. High praise indeed.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #65 of 605
It is hard to find solid prices for all this stuff. So a complete desktop system would consist of an X12 (DAC) and a H10(Amp), how much would that end up costing after shipping and all the rest, sitting on my doorstep. I am guessing around $1000. ?? Just trying to get a feel for where this comes in compared to say an Oppo HA1 or a Burson Conductor.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #66 of 605
  It is hard to find solid prices for all this stuff. So a complete desktop system would consist of an X12 (DAC) and a H10(Amp), how much would that end up costing after shipping and all the rest, sitting on my doorstep. I am guessing around $1000. ?? Just trying to get a feel for where this comes in compared to say an Oppo HA1 or a Burson Conductor.

Around $800 if you get the X12 from massdrop. I am not sure how much import taxes US residents get.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #67 of 605
Has pricing on the X20 been released yet? It would also be nice to know if the X20 will have USB implementation on par with the U12.

It's a little too bad the X12 massdrop is on before any reviews of the X20 have come out...

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #68 of 605
  Has pricing on the X20 been released yet? It would also be nice to know if the X20 will have USB implementation on par with the U12.

It's a little too bad the X12 massdrop is on before any reviews of the X20 have come out...

Nothing I've seen yet. Google doesn't even pull up any intelligible results unless you add "head fi" to the search string, haha.

I will say the unit is huge - looks like full 2U rack size in Ansi's pics, so I hope there's significant separation of the various circuits, as well as as dedicated USB similar to U12.

Gustard themselves have said that 'technically' the U12 paired with the X12 provides better results, though who knows. Some might say that's marketing, but the U12 is already so popular in it's own right it's hard to say.

That said, I don't understand why the U12 doesn't match the X12 aesthetically... I imagine more X12 owners would have splurged for the combo if they looked sexy stacked together. Aesthetically matched components sound better, as everyone knows. Just ask the design team at Schiit 
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #69 of 605
  Nothing I've seen yet. Google doesn't even pull up any intelligible results unless you add "head fi" to the search string, haha.

I will say the unit is huge - looks like full 2U rack size in Ansi's pics, so I hope there's significant separation of the various circuits, as well as as dedicated USB similar to U12.

I don't mind the size at all. I'm hopeful the large size translates to high SQ, but I realize that's not necessarily the case.

Originally Posted by politbureau /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gustard themselves have said that 'technically' the U12 paired with the X12 provides better results, though who knows. Some might say that's marketing, but the U12 is already so popular in it's own right it's hard to say.

To clarify, Gustard said the U12 + X12 provides better results than the X12 alone or the X20? If better than the X12 alone, that would make sense. Cap'n Stu has opened both the X12 and U12...I don't recall the exact quote, but he said something about how the U12 has much better/spacious layout while the USB board in the X12 is a bit crammed in there. I'm hopeful the X20 negates the need for a U12.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #70 of 605
I don't mind the size at all. I'm hopeful the large size translates to high SQ, but I realize that's not necessarily the case.

Ditto. Thats my hope at least...

To clarify, Gustard said the U12 + X12 provides better results than the X12 alone or the X20? If better than the X12 alone, that would make sense. Cap'n Stu has opened both the X12 and U12...I don't recall the exact quote, but he said something about how the U12 has much better/spacious layout while the USB board in the X12 is a bit crammed in there. I'm hopeful the X20 negates the need for a U12.

vs the X12 with USB card.

The question is does a more complex topology equate to better sound, or does the 'crammed in' USB card provide a shorter, cleaner signal path directly to the DAC that means better performance.

Same question I ask myself when looking at Dr. Kingwa's AGD designs... the new NFB-1 has more parts in it than the space shuttle, I'm pretty sure.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #71 of 605
I keep eyeing the drop for the X12. It's very, very tempting. I'm just glad I have five days to make up my mind. After having the H10, I know Gustard offers great build quality and value. Hell, even the name is starting to grow on me. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #72 of 605
I keep eyeing the drop for the X12. It's very, very tempting. I'm just glad I have five days to make up my mind. After having the H10, I know Gustard offers great build quality and value. Hell, even the name is starting to grow on me. 

Oh yeah schopy... You know you want that Gustard goodness! I promise that you won't be disappointed with X12

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #73 of 605
I certainly do, Cap'n Stu! One thing I'm wondering about are the so-called macrodynamics of the X12, or its ability to render things like bass slam, punches and kicks, hi-hats etcs. I mean, take it with a grain of salt, but I've read impressions of the ESS9018 that indicate macrodynamics are a bit limp/hollow. That worries me nonetheless. I know the ESS9018 is supposed to be great for plankton, but I also like to fish for larger catch. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #74 of 605
i've ordered both the u12 and x12, and would like to hear from others with the same combo as to which connection they prefer between the u and x units. i'm leanig toward the i2s atrm...

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #75 of 605
  i've ordered both the u12 and x12, and would like to hear from others with the same combo as to which connection they prefer between the u and x units. i'm leanig toward the i2s atrm...

Stuartmc mentioned a while ago that he likes to use I2S from the U12 to the X12, but he also said that he felt that the quality of the HDMI cable made a significant difference.

I personally tried I2S from the U12 to the X12 with ONE cheap HDMI cable and felt that I preferred going straight to the USB input on the X12. I'm not interested in testing more HDMI cables, though, to see if I can notice improvements.

Conquerator2 felt the same way as I did about preferring the X12's own USB input over the U12, but I'm not sure if he used I2S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back