Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #331 of 391
I'll try the single-ended output tonight, but I don't want to find another amp to connect just to test if it's the DAC or amp functionality because either way, that would require a repair. Yeah, shipping to China is going to be a big bummer. Good to hear that they're responsive. I've sent a message to the retailer I bought it from and will keep you guys posted!

Uh oh, figured this was a one-off issue. Initially I was blown away by the dead silent background of this unit even with sensitive IEMs. Then this noise started to crop up in the left ear. Where have you heard of the other folks' issues?

-Collin-
Yeah, my unit has started to develop this in the right and left channel. It varies though, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. Have you tried the XLR output on the back to if the noise's still there?

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #333 of 391
Yeah, my unit has started to develop this in the right and left channel. It varies though, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. Have you tried the XLR output on the back to if the noise's still there?

Hello Friend, any update on the noise issue? The dealer I purchased from never responded to me again, so I thought I would check if you found a way to resolve the issue? It's looking like mine will need to be repaired. It's fine, I can pay the shipping to China because I love the unit so much and still think it is an incredible value for the sound quality offered.

-Collin-

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #334 of 391
Hello Friend, any update on the noise issue? The dealer I purchased from never responded to me again, so I thought I would check if you found a way to resolve the issue? It's looking like mine will need to be repaired. It's fine, I can pay the shipping to China because I love the unit so much and still think it is an incredible value for the sound quality offered.

-Collin-
Likewise. My dealer also never responded again, even though I bought it from a local reseller in Germany. I'll sell this unit and switch over to Questyle. Such as shame..

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #335 of 391
That is very unfortunate, but I appreciate your reply. Maybe I will try to contact Gustard directly.

Have a link to this Questyle you speak of? :)

-Collin-

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #337 of 391
This just sucks. The seller is playing games and I see no way to get this unit repaired, so now it’s an $800 noisy paper weight. I hear the noise in the left channe continuously and occasionally on the right channel. I expect a lot more from a unit like this. My bad for buying from AliExpress in China, but the claim of a two year warranty had me sort of at ease.

At Shenzhen Audio, check out the fine print on the warranty. It states that the manufacturer bears the cost of freight and cost of repair is the burden of the user. What the hell? So they will pay freight, within China only mind you, and the customer has to pay the cost of repair under warranty?

First and last time I give this company a dollar of my money. I’m going to also complain to AliExpress and see if they can help.

-Collin-

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #338 of 391
Gustard itself declares 2 years warranty, delivery expense is on sender.
Maybe you would try to get in touch with manufacturer directly, here is QQ number: 247095406
Language barrier could be an issue, but it's worth to try anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #339 of 391
This just sucks. The seller is playing games and I see no way to get this unit repaired, so now it’s an $800 noisy paper weight. I hear the noise in the left channe continuously and occasionally on the right channel. I expect a lot more from a unit like this. My bad for buying from AliExpress in China, but the claim of a two year warranty had me sort of at ease.

At Shenzhen Audio, check out the fine print on the warranty. It states that the manufacturer bears the cost of freight and cost of repair is the burden of the user. What the hell? So they will pay freight, within China only mind you, and the customer has to pay the cost of repair under warranty?

First and last time I give this company a dollar of my money. I’m going to also complain to AliExpress and see if they can help.

-Collin-

That would be a weird warranty policy to have, and I would think it is a translation error typical of those not too used to English.
Their warranty policy in Chinese (extracted from the Chinese manual) is as follows:
GUSTARD 承诺旗下A20H 产品自购买之日算起享受2 年的免费保修服务,终身维护。
购买之日起15 日内给予返厂换新服务(机身无划痕),1 个月内完全免费保修,厂家负责来回运费。1 个月-2 年各自承担发货运费保修。
*厂家仅承担中国大陆运费,海外部分运费及产生的税务由用户与商家协商解决。

which roughly translates to: (do correct me if I'm wrong)
GUSTARD commits to offer 2 years of free warranty service from the date of purchase for its A20H products, and life-long maintenance.
You may return to replace for a new set (with no scratches) within 15 days from the date of purchase.
For the 1st month from purchase, warranty is completely free, manufacturer will be responsible for shipping costs both ways (within China only)
For the period between 1 month to 2 years from the date of purchase, each will bear the shipping costs for warranty purposes (within China only)

From what I can see, Gustard actually offers a warranty policy that beats out most other manufacturers out there, however that is hampered by the lack of good overseas representation and high shipping costs to China.
I would advise just contacting Gustard directly, and see if they will do right by you.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #340 of 391
Gustard itself declares 2 years warranty, delivery expense is on sender.
Maybe you would try to get in touch with manufacturer directly, here is QQ number: 247095406
Language barrier could be an issue, but it's worth to try anyway.

That would be a weird warranty policy to have, and I would think it is a translation error typical of those not too used to English.
Their warranty policy in Chinese (extracted from the Chinese manual) is as follows:
GUSTARD 承诺旗下A20H 产品自购买之日算起享受2 年的免费保修服务,终身维护。
购买之日起15 日内给予返厂换新服务(机身无划痕),1 个月内完全免费保修,厂家负责来回运费。1 个月-2 年各自承担发货运费保修。
*厂家仅承担中国大陆运费,海外部分运费及产生的税务由用户与商家协商解决。

which roughly translates to: (do correct me if I'm wrong)
GUSTARD commits to offer 2 years of free warranty service from the date of purchase for its A20H products, and life-long maintenance.
You may return to replace for a new set (with no scratches) within 15 days from the date of purchase.
For the 1st month from purchase, warranty is completely free, manufacturer will be responsible for shipping costs both ways (within China only)
For the period between 1 month to 2 years from the date of purchase, each will bear the shipping costs for warranty purposes (within China only)

From what I can see, Gustard actually offers a warranty policy that beats out most other manufacturers out there, however that is hampered by the lack of good overseas representation and high shipping costs to China.
I would advise just contacting Gustard directly, and see if they will do right by you.

Thank you both very much for your replies. I have plenty of friends who are native Mandarin-speakers, so I think I will have them contact Gustard for me and explain the situation. They'll do it in return for a beer or two I'm sure :)

I will let you guys know how it turns out. It's funny, I shopped around in my moment of anger for something to replace this DAC and I came to the same conclusion that I did six months ago when I bought it: there is nothing even remotely close to this feature set at this price point. I really want to have it fixed.

-Collin-

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #341 of 391
Well still no resolution. My friend sent a message on QQ to Gustard a week ago and no reply from them at all. Also no reply from my AliExpress seller. The noise continues to get worse every day, so unfortunately I'm going to have to write this one off as an $800 loss. Really a shame.

So for anyone that comes across this that is planning to buy one and who cannot easily get in touch with Gustard within China, I would give this device a pass. Now back to the drawing board to find something AK4497-based with balanced output.

-Collin-

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #342 of 391
So far it looks like only shenzenaudio is trusted seller as I remember some case with X20 and they sort it. Maybe ask they to help you contact with Gustard some way.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #343 of 391
Well still no resolution. My friend sent a message on QQ to Gustard a week ago and no reply from them at all. Also no reply from my AliExpress seller. The noise continues to get worse every day, so unfortunately I'm going to have to write this one off as an $800 loss. Really a shame.

So for anyone that comes across this that is planning to buy one and who cannot easily get in touch with Gustard within China, I would give this device a pass. Now back to the drawing board to find something AK4497-based with balanced output.

-Collin-
I'm sorry to hear that SeeSax.
Does it happen with all inputs and all outputs? If you could zero in on the path that's faulty (assuming its only a certain combination) then maybe you can send it to a local technician.

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #344 of 391
I'm sorry to hear that SeeSax.
Does it happen with all inputs and all outputs? If you could zero in on the path that's faulty (assuming its only a certain combination) then maybe you can send it to a local technician.

Unfortunately it happens on both balanced and single-ended paths and single-ended seems much worse. This also happens when the device is powered on and no inputs are connected. I haven't isolated it to the amp or DAC just yet, but I don't really see much value in that since it's an all-in-one unit. I'll keep trying to contact him.

-Collin-

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #345 of 391
Do anyone have experience comparing the A20H versus the X22-Pro? I am curious which is recommended?

I love the AK DAC chips as they are very musical, but I have no experience with the new ESS chips.

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back