Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Sep 16, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 391
some translate:

GUSTARD A20H TECHNICAL SPECIFIC
  The DAC part we use two AKM AK4497EQ.The latest top D/A IC. Each channel has its own dac without disturbing .Make the sound more pure;
  CPLD programmable logic chip. Self-build the logic function and the digital integrated circuits. Used to achieve clock management. 2nd PLL digital shaping. DOP out put. PCM / DSD depop switch and other exclusive technology .we believe that they are the solid foundation for an excellent sound.
  High current totally balanced Class A amplifier with discrete components.each channel using two independent amplification units to compose the symmetrical output line.normal and balanced outputs can work at the same time.providing an excellent headphone listening platform.
  D/A module and the AMP each of them has a independent power supply with a custom audio dedicated toroidal transformer.Put an end to all interference
  Low pass filter circuit with self-developed discrete design.carefully adjust the parameters of each level in order to achieve the best working condition
  Pre-amp mode has two levels of gain.and supports 60 file lossless analog volume control.with the supplied remote control can be easily match a post-amp or speakers; pre-amp function can be turned off, The analog signal can straight out.
All the interface support direct dsd
IIS support DSD64 DSD128 DSD256 DSD512 direct
SPDIF、Optical、AES/EBU support DSD64 (DoP)
USB DSD64 DSD128 DSD512
Optional multiple filter modes:Wide BW/Narrow BW in dsd.Short Delay Sharp / Short Delay Slow / Sharp / Slow / Low-dispersion Short Delay Filter/ Super Slow in PCM
USB interface use XMOS U8 chip.support PCM684 DSD256

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 391
I cancelled the order from dotdotbuy because they can't ship it now. There's an at least 3 weeks delay before the US/international version will be ready to ship. Right now, all the units are being sold locally to get early feedback before they start selling to international market.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #26 of 391
some reviews from
http://erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1946064&highlight=A20H
Density.density! !
       After getting the machine.connect to USB. install the driver . the first impression is 
greatly enhanced sense of density. If X20  is worthy of the price, A20Hs density can be said 
far more than expected.A pleasant surprise is both the instruments and the vocals are full of 
energy because of this density. After the firsr second you listen that you can realize it is a 
high qaulity sound.whetherv  the resolving the transient the directivity are all pretty good.
However, after some days you will expirence the sound is a little swelter.The treble is qiute 
bright, there are lots of serious vocal sibilance. Although most of the new machines need to 
take a little time to burn, but this impression can not be determined. fortunately after the 
burning, the problem gradually improved . sibilance disappeared. but also enhance the 
transparency .Everthing changed after 4 days.

Resolve and dynamic:
      The same is to have a good resolvinf and dynamic, X20, iD22 and A20H sounds differently my 
iD22 is neutral balance enhance details and hydration, but the sound Has not been 
substantially changed.no characteristic. X20 is more impactive, more suitable for the great 
dynamic scenes, although the have good resloving but not very good at delicate expression. I 
wondering that it is because of the different dac chip? Compared A20H although the energy can 
burst up, but significantly more calm.treble is not an exaggeration but it has been able to 
maintain a good resolution. When listening the band rock  no matter which machine will not 
cower.A20H can while maintaining the different instruments and vocals with the full separation 
and all of this surrounded by a plenty of bass.For rock A20H is Attractive.

Transparency and tone(coloration):
   X20 sounds neutral and fierce, thick and fast, emphasizing bass texture, bright and direct 
treble, neutral in the overall but a bit aggressive. In contrast, A20H in the bass bit like Yu 
Long DA8II, not the pursuit of fine resolution and strong texture, but show a sense of 
fullness fluffy. treble is more silky not harsh sharp, the coloration is more pleasant than 
X20.On transparency A20H also done a good job, the background is black seems avoid,the details 
will not covered by the noise. X20 is like adding a exciter, A20H is neutral, but the voice is 
retro like a sound from a old studio which use old-fashioned r2r dac. I do not know these 
differences are due to the dissimilar chip or the different circuit design.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #27 of 391
  If it can hit $599, I'll make this my end game probably, I can't afford to go baller like you guys haha... otherwise I probably will settle with the Element for $349

If you were in China, you could.
Well, almost could.
Because there is small discount for preoders, or not that small. Minus 500 RMB ( $75) for preorders, Or even minus 600RMB ($90) for old customers.
Discount is still valid, but it will last just few hours more up to19th of Sept. It is about 3 hours more according Beijing time,
And as it was said before, only taobao users from mainland China can be involved at this period of time.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 391
The DAC part should be very good, if Gustard is doing right with the two AK4497 chips.

I found some information about the output power part in:
http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1944190&extra=&highlight=A20H&page=4

MAX power per channel (rms) Balanced out
32Ω        2400mW
150Ω        530mW
300Ω        266mW
600Ω        133mW
MAX power per channel (rms) Single-end out
16Ω         1200mW
32Ω          600mW
150Ω         133mW
300Ω          67mW
600Ω          33mW

Here is a picture for the balanced out test:

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #30 of 391
some reviews from
http://erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1946064&highlight=A20H

X20 sounds neutral and fierce, thick and fast, emphasizing bass texture, bright and direct 
treble, neutral in the overall but a bit aggressive. In contrast, A20H in the bass bit like Yu 
Long DA8II, not the pursuit of fine resolution and strong texture, but show a sense of 
fullness fluffy. treble is more silky not harsh sharp, the coloration is more pleasant than 
X20.On transparency A20H also done a good job, the background is black seems avoid,the details 
will not covered by the noise. X20 is like adding a exciter, A20H is neutral, but the voice is 
retro like a sound from a old studio which use old-fashioned r2r dac. I do not know these 
differences are due to the dissimilar chip or the different circuit design

Seems like a true AKM dac.

But do DACs actually improve from burn in? I'm a bit skeptical here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back