Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #230 of 391

The original idea for DoP was invented by dCS in 2011. It involves taking groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit  samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 data stream. Data from the other channel of the stereo pair is packed the same way. A specific marker code in the top 8 bits identifies the data stream as DoP, rather than PCM. The resulting DoP stream can be transmitted through existing 24/192-capable USB, AES, Dual AES or SPDIF interfaces to a DoP-compatible DAC, which reassembles the original stereo DSD data stream COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.

From https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #231 of 391
Leaving aside the issue of whether DoP truly produces identical stream when reassembled as does native DSD, the product description on amazon seems to imply different inputs may handle DSD differently:

Support DSD high definition audio:
I2S: DSD64/DSD128/DSD256/DSD512 
Spdif/Optical/AES/EBU: DSD64(DOP mode) 
USB: DSD64/DSD128/DSD256  

My interpreation (admittedly could be incorrect) is that the I2S and USB inputs differ from the SPDIF/Optical?AES?EBU which do DoP...i.e.the I2S and USB may offer native dsd...can anyone confirm? 

Mar 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #233 of 391
Leaving aside the issue of whether DoP truly produces identical stream when reassembled as does native DSD, the product description on amazon seems to imply different inputs may handle DSD differently:

[COLOR=333333]Support DSD high definition audio:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I2S: DSD64/DSD128/DSD256/DSD512 [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Spdif/Optical/AES/EBU: DSD64(DOP mode) [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]USB: DSD64/DSD128/DSD256 [/COLOR] 

My interpreation (admittedly could be incorrect) is that the I2S and USB inputs differ from the SPDIF/Optical?AES?EBU which do DoP...i.e.the I2S and USB may offer native dsd...can anyone confirm? 

I've tried setting the DAC to native within Audirvana and it resulted in nothing but noise. Someone might need to try it on Windows though.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #234 of 391
I've tried setting the DAC to native within Audirvana and it resulted in nothing but noise. Someone might need to try it on Windows though.

You can install HQPlayer for test on mac, they provide 1 month demo version for free.
I will test it with windows as soon as mine arrives. I ordered it a week ago, still waiting. How long did it take for you? (i suppose you ordered it also on ebay, from clear-components)

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #235 of 391
The question is answered in the A20H manual. See "Specifications" on page 6. USB and IIS input are capable of DSD native.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #236 of 391
You can install HQPlayer for test on mac, they provide 1 month demo version for free.
I will test it with windows as soon as mine arrives. I ordered it a week ago, still waiting. How long did it take for you? (i suppose you ordered it also on ebay, from clear-components)

I originally ordered the black version, but clear components reached out to me on the same day that it was out of stock. They asked if it would be ok to deliver the silver version instead, which I agreed to. Shipped next day and arrived on Saturday.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #237 of 391
I own a A20h since now 3 weeks .I'm using Jriver and had no problems in playing DSD native or DOP  . It's evident that the XMOS driver is a pirated one as the panel control has not full features and it's a not signed driver. I'm not sure even it's working properly . I 'm using an experimental board . http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/304537-bluwave-usb-spdif-bridge-miniature-beauty.html
The sound is night and day from the stock Gustard usb board  so talking about digital formats is sterile . This dac is a bargain with a clear ,real audiophile sound .
Can someone in this forum tell me what is the Receiver used in this unit as i don't want to open for now the dac,

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #238 of 391
  I own a A20h since now 3 weeks .I'm using Jriver and had no problems in playing DSD native or DOP  . It's evident that the XMOS driver is a pirated one as the panel control has not full features and it's a not signed driver. I'm not sure even it's working properly . I 'm using an experimental board . http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/304537-bluwave-usb-spdif-bridge-miniature-beauty.html
The sound is night and day from the stock Gustard usb board  so talking about digital formats is sterile . This dac is a bargain with a clear ,real audiophile sound .
Can someone in this forum tell me what is the Receiver used in this unit as i don't want to open for now the dac,

So does that mean you opened the A20H unit, took out the existing board, and installed a new board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back