Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Mar 13, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #256 of 391
  I wouldn't call it trouble, I don't even understand how people get annoyed by this in the first place. 

i dont understand if all a20h have this "click" and if it s different from each unit
i need to ear it to know if it s loud and often ?

some cma600i user dont use it in usb because of that but maybe it s different trouble 

thx for your feedback reiserfs , i much appreciate your presence here 

you are in the middle of the night by the way 
wink.gif

Actually its quite loud and its annoying, when you listen to some relaxing music and then hear 'bumm' much louder then music sounds, it is almost like you switch gear on subaru wrx :) with this 'pshhh'. But its for sure because of upsampling and i guess that drops happen because of hqplayer, not a problem of gustard. And this click happens only between songs
I will test it in different ways during this week, will try different settings of player and other players just to be sure.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #257 of 391

Actually its quite loud and its annoying, when you listen to some relaxing music and then hear 'bumm' much louder then music sounds, it is almost like you switch gear on subaru wrx :) with this 'pshhh'. But its for sure because of upsampling and i guess that drops happen because of hqplayer, not a problem of gustard. And this click happens only between songs
I will test it in different ways during this week, will try different settings of player and other players just to be sure.

If i can feel driving a subaru with my headphone i buy it 
beyersmile.png

more seriously could you confirm you dont have this noise without upsampling
and if you dont use hqplayer ?
thanks CoolerB

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #259 of 391
great news ! hq player is expansive by the way 
i know nothing a bout dsd and upsampling, what is the other solution if you dont use hqplayer ?
i need to have a look at roon, i feel like prehistorique guy who missed the train lol

and another question if you dont mind does the a20h is worth the cost if you don't resample in other way : does the differences is subtle between upsample and NOS ?

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #260 of 391
  great news ! hq player is expansive by the way 
i know nothing a bout dsd and upsampling, what is the other solution if you dont use hqplayer ?
i need to have a look at roon, i feel like prehistorique guy who missed the train lol

and another question if you dont mind does the a20h is worth the cost if you don't resample in other way : does the differences is subtle between upsample and NOS ?

Roon is even more expensive :D $500 lifetime, or $100 yearly, but it is really great, i would say the best to control your library, it also plays records, but hqplayer still sounds better, and the same time has absolutely terrible UI, so i combine them. I stream audio from Roon to HQPlayer, then to microRendu, which converts ethernet to usb and then to dac. Its the best solution to get digital audio from computer out there.

About gustard, honestly, its my first "real hifi" dac, before i had just yulong u100 dac + edifier r2730. So it means i cant compare, of course gustard is better than yulong (with price of $200), i realized that from the beginning, but im not experienced hifi person, i cant say, that i tested $3-5k dacs and i hear that gustard is really close to them or something like that.

What i can say, it is solid, well finished, has great screen, also i like that power button with relay, so you click on it and after few miliseconds you hear click and it turns off, it is important, that button doesnt have real connection to circuit, the same with volume control, also with relay. So i see that gustard engineers knows what they are doing and they definitely care about all details.

I spent a lot of time, was searching and reading on internet, and i would say (according to all reviews/owner feedback), it may the best money/value on the market for now, even if you dont use DSD.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #261 of 391
Holly shiiii... 500 bucks lol
So you are telling me you spend 120$ + 500$ + 640$ just to get connected to your music ( i am getting up again i am fell on the ground)
that make a lot of cd or vinyle in my book 
if you lose internet connection does it keep working ?

I am planning to use my cayin n6 as source to a20h dac maybe less trouble and easier or maybe wrong idea

Thanks again for all this infos (i need to work on this softwear) 

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #262 of 391
  Holly shiiii... 500 bucks lol
So you are telling me you spend 120$ + 500$ + 640$ just to get connected to your music ( i am getting up again i am fell on the ground)
that make a lot of cd or vinyle in my book 
if you lose internet connection does it keep working ?

I am planning to use my cayin n6 as source to a20h dac maybe less trouble and easier or maybe wrong idea

Thanks again for all this infos (i need to work on this softwear) 

Its not so dramatic)) If you split that $100 for roon on 12 month, its the same as you would pay for spotify or netflix. I paid for 1 year for now and didnt pay anything for HQPlayer, as i dont know for sure if i really need it. I use 1 month demo. But about microRendu, it is some kind of revolution on the market, just read reviews.I bought also linear PSU for it for additional $500, so in total its $1k piece of equipment, and its ok, as every element of hi-fi system costs similar money or much more.

ps. if i lose internet connection it should work, but thats good question, maybe they check subscription only when i run the app, but i will check that.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #263 of 391
Hi Friends, I just bought the Jotunheim + DAC off the classifieds, but I have heard that the DAC isn't great and I'm now considering the A20H because of the AliExpress sale! Looks like a bit under $800 shipped to my door.

Had a question: this will be primarily used with balanced IEMs via the 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter I have. How is the noise floor for sensitive IEMs? I would just use my Master-11 but it is quite noisy with IEMs. Thinking this might be a perfect solution for higher-end IEM use. Anyone can comment on the noise floor? Hissing, etc?

Thank you!

-Collin-

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #266 of 391
  A20H has no trouble with noise floor.
I have variety of IEMs, and have no issue at all.

Thank you. I am interested in the other end of the spectrum...can it power planars with good control? Also, any comments on the sound signature....neutral or warm?
Thanks for any listening impressions you can share, Joong.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #268 of 391
  Thank you. I am interested in the other end of the spectrum...can it power planars with good control? Also, any comments on the sound signature....neutral or warm?
Thanks for any listening impressions you can share, Joong.

A20H drives and control He-500 well with neutral sound signature.
I recommend a good power cable for the amp.
The cable can pick some noise in the power as an antenna.

Gaofei US AC power cable copper wire can be a good choice with reasonable cost.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #269 of 391
Holy mother of god this thing is a beast. It just arrived today and I got the USB drivers installed and just had a first listen. I didn't think this would have so much power but sheesh, on LOW gain I am at volume 5 out of 60 on the balanced output. I have an XLR 4-pin to 2.5mm TRRS female so I can use my IEMs. This was entirely intended for IEM use as I already have a Master-11 for my Planars. Man, it has an insane amount of power for IEMs, but damn does it sound phenomenal right off the bat. Treble is crisp and airy and the bass is authoritatively delicious. I'm listening to the Rhapsodio Solars right now through this and my goodness, they sound incredible. Very, very happy camper here, but I feel like if I ever accidentally switch this to HIGH gain it is going to make my house fall down. 

-Collin-

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #270 of 391
Sounds like a winner for your iems, Collin. I am also interested in the a20h, and would love to know your impressions driving planars as that will be my primary use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back