Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #213 of 391
  Does anyone here made a direct compariton between A20H and X20Pro? I am strongly considering buying A20H as DAC in my hifi system. I have Roksan Caspian M2 amp and Usher speakers. I want to use A20H as external DAC to my Auralic Aries Mini streamer, which internal DAC is strongly limiting all my stereo system What I want is big scene, separation, great vocals, rich full sound, rather on a warmer side. I listen mostly to classic, jazz, world, etc. Most important factor for me is the most realistic reproduction of piano, because I am piano lover.

I know they are not hi-end machines, but if they perform like twice expensive DAC's from reputable "western" companies, than it's fine choice. I have to buy a DAC anyway to connect other sources to it, but my limit is around 700$, be it used or new DAC. I am asking, because it has great review, and I think it will be very hard to find a competition in that price, if any exists.

I do not care whether this is called Gustard or Linn or whatever, name doesn't matter, performance matter.

If you have some suggetionts for competitive products, feel free to write it here.

I read all that topic, but there is no clear answer, whether X20Pro and A20H are different or the first one (due to price / equipment) ratio is just better as DAC. I know some suggested it has, but here are also great reviews about A20 as well.

As i understood from discussions, x20Pro uses sabre chips, they are very detailed, but as negative side of that is could be an edgy sound, and a20h uses AK chips, which are more musical and warm, but may a little bit less detailed, comparing to x20Pro. But honestly, i havent heard neither x20Pro nor a20h, just telling you my opinion, which i've got during the reading different threads, as i am also floating between these dacs and now even looking at X-Sabre Pro - MATRIX with DSD1024 :D

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #215 of 391
I just got the A20h in and have been listening for 30 minutes. Really impressed so far, especially when compared to the HD-DAC1. I'll comment more on the sound later. Unlike some user said in here, the unit doesn't get hot - maybe they released a updated revision? Even my DAC1 gets way hotter. 

Edit: After 4 hours it gets warm to the touch, but not hot.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #216 of 391
I have both the X20 (non-Pro version) and the A20h; but have not listened to the X20pro.
The X20 has a wider sound stage and more details, and the A20h is tuned towards warmth, though the differences are rather subtle.
To choose between the two, if you like classical and strings, I would pick the X20(pro). 
If you listen mostly popular music, the A20h will be a good choice.

Also, if you listen to headphones and do not have a dedicate headamp, go for the A20h.  Seriously, you cannot go wrong with either.
I bought the A20h after the X20 to set up a second system in my bedroom for headphone listening.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #217 of 391
Delicious combo 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #220 of 391
So how it sounds? Warm and creamy?
smily_headphones1.gif
did you try dsd?

It definitely sounds warm and yet really detailed, hearing things I haven't heard before on the DAC1, the resolution from the DAC1 is a joke compared to the A20H.  I will write a detailed review during my holidays which are coming up soon! Going to try DSD tonight. 

Edit: Not even burned in, but the the warmer the unit gets, the better it sounds. This is common for Class A amps though.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #221 of 391
  It definitely sounds warm and yet really detailed, hearing things I haven't heard before on the DAC1, the resolution from the DAC1 is a joke compared to the A20H.  I will write a detailed review during my holidays which are coming up soon! Going to try DSD tonight. 

Edit: Not even burned in, but the the warmer the unit gets, the better it sounds. This is common for Class A amps though.

Maaaan.. Ok, im in game, ordered silver also))

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #223 of 391
Hi Reiserfs,
nice to see you happy with the a20h

Could you make a comment about the amp if is powerfull ?
When you say : Not even burned in, but the the warmer the unit gets, the better it sounds. This is common for Class A amps though
do you mean very hot or just warm ?

Thanks a lot
Tom

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #224 of 391
  Hi Reiserfs,
nice to see you happy with the a20h

Could you make a comment about the amp if is powerfull ?
When you say : Not even burned in, but the the warmer the unit gets, the better it sounds. This is common for Class A amps though
do you mean very hot or just warm ?

Thanks a lot
Tom

Hey Tom, it just gets warm to the touch after a few hours, would totally stack my Mini-STX Hackintosh on top of it. No worries there.

As for if the amp is powerful enough: I'm running a balanced LCD-2 on low gain at Volume 23, the A20H has 60 steps in total, so pretty powerful.  The amp can output 2400mW into 32 Ohm through the balanced connector. 

If you guys have any more questions, ask away. Like mentioned, I will write a detailed review once my vacation comes up.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #225 of 391
  Hey Tom, it just gets warm to the touch after a few hours, would totally stack my Mini-STX Hackintosh on top of it. No worries there.

As for if the amp is powerful enough: I'm running a balanced LCD-2 on low gain at Volume 23, the A20H has 60 steps in total, so pretty powerful.  The amp can output 2400mW into 32 Ohm through the balanced connector. 

If you guys have any more questions, ask away. Like mentioned, I will write a detailed review once my vacation comes up.

Im interested in DSD, if you had a chance to test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back